Genuine illness during notice period?

T

tiggy2610

Hi ladies,

I was a very active member of BnB about 18 months ago (thousands of posts against my name) then ran away to escape the depression of infertility, and have only recently re-joined with a new username and have been stalking for months. I needed some advice and this was, obviously, the first place that sprung to mind!

I have been unhappy in my job for a long time, the job description and what I ended up doing were completely different, no communication from my boss, bullying colleagues, nasty emails, crying in my office type of stuff etc... so I was actively looking for a new position. The day before I was going on annual leave for 7 days (lovely sunny holiday :happydance:) I was offered a new job, which I was delighted about! Obviously going on holiday it wasn't the best timing, but my holiday had been planned for months and there was nothing that could be done.

I went on holiday and returned to work the day after arriving back, October 18th, and officially handed my notice in (after references etc...were received by my new manager) and my last working day at my current job was agreed as November 15th.

On the evening of October 20th I suffered my second agonising gallstone attack, and was promptly hospitalised with a biliary colic, an acute gallbladder infection and higher elevated liver function tests. :dohh: after 2 days of IV antibiotics I was healthy enough for surgery, and my gallbladder was removed, on the evening of October 23rd and I was given a sick note to cover 2 weeks following surgery to recover. My manager was obviously not best pleased as I was in my notice period, so I was very thankful that I had solid evidence that I was genuinely poorly, and wasn't just pulling a quick one to get out of working my notice.

Today I had a follow up with my surgeon and one of my incisions is infected, and I am also suffering from 'dumping syndrome' (due to my new lack of gallbladder, my body is 'disagreeing' with almost everything I put in my mouth, and me and my toilet are becoming very acquainted!) :blush: so my surgeon has given me another 2 week 'fit for work' and medications, which will put me past my last day in my current position. :nope:

Apart from the infection and my new digestive disagreements, I work 40miles away and commute by train (and 2 buses) to get to my office, which was another reason why my surgeon recommended I stay home. I called my manager today to inform her of the situation, and apologised (as I am genuinely not 'sick' for the sake of being sick!) and she responded with "Oh well thats very handy for you isn't it...hmmm nice timing" which really annoyed me and upset me to be honest.

I don't feel like I am up to going back into work (I'm a teaching, so I'm not sat all day) but I'm the sort of person who hates to be 'disliked' and I almost feel like I HAVE to go back into work before I'm 100% better just so i'm not 'One of those who was signed off during their notice period'

What would you do? Follow your gut (and medical opinion) or attempt to get back into work? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Sorry for my rambling and thanks for any advice!

Don't you dare put another foot in that office. I'd understand if these people had been nice /professional with you but from what you've said they sound like a nightmare.

I'm like you though & hate to let people down but for the sake of 2 weeks (and more importantly your health) is stay off.

Make sure you have lots of rest & relaxation before you start your new job so you can give it your all.

From what you've said it doesn't sound like you'll ever be seeing the people from your old work again so I'd just put it to the back of your mind & stay away. I know you'll be worrying now what people may be thinking but trust me, in a few months (or less) you'll have forgotten all about it, so just try & enjoy a couple of weeks recuperating on the couch :hugs:
xx

Thank you!:flower:

90% of people I have told about this happening during my notice period have said "oh yeah...and I suppose you're not milking that at all...are you...are you?!":dohh: so I just thought, hang on, am I wrong here? I have holes in me and they pulled an internal organ out of my belly button :growlmad:

Every time I googled "ill during notice period" it was full of people saying how unprofessional it was but I couldn't find any situation where the person was genuinely poorly.

I teach in a university, not a high school or college, and have around 60+ colleagues. I emailed everyone to inform them of my new job and that I would be leaving, and I have received just one single acknowledgement. That place :nope:

If they treat you that poorly and you have been that sick I would not return. I would feel bad if my co workers didn't acknowledge my leaving, and not wish me well etc. I wish you the best with your new job!

I feel exactly the same when I have to take a day off for something, hate feeling like I've let someone down but stuff her! If she wants to be bitchy and rude like that don't go doing them any favours. You've been really poorly and she should learn to keep her comments to herself!

Thanks for all of your lovely replies ladies :flower:

A little update - I informed my manager that I would be using the extension on my sick leave, but would be returning to campus this week in order to clear my office (and say goodbye to a few friends in other departments)

Again she hasn't acknowledged this, but as I'm past caring now. I'm going to go in tomorrow and collect some stuff but don't plan on actually 'working' if this makes sense?

Thanks again for reassuring me that I'm not some awful cow-bag:flower:

You're far from a cow bag. And totally in the right!! Rest up and get better for your new job!! Congratulations and good luck :) xx

Sounds like you're better off anyway! Like you said pop in to collect your belongings and don't go back! You have you're sick note and I doubt very much that your doc would sign you off as fit to work anyway.

Concentrate on getting yourself better for your new job xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->