Germany?

The uninformed people(well at least over here, all tell me we should do strict opol(not that they know the name but they always go, like you speak only german and oh only speaks english it is the common sense thing to do(say the monolinguals. )Without even acknowledging that there are other possibilities.

My MIL was the opposite - she'd asked multiple times (as if she'd forgotten my previous response) if I speak English to them. She was surprised about it at first but then said it's good they'll know both languages. I was thinking, well of course, how else would my family understand them?

People are so freaked out about "delays" etc, I don't care if she mixes them! Or if she doesn't speak "correctly" until she's 4!

People are so freaked out about "delays" etc, I don't care if she mixes them! Or if she doesn't speak "correctly" until she's 4!

Yeah, I'm guilty of over-worrying. Dd1 says maybe 15 words, none of them regularly, and some animal sounds. I read around and found out she should be saying anywhere from 50 - 100 words by now and putting small sentences together. Not even close. Wish I would be more laidback about it.

code switching is awesome, and you can see the non english immigrants do it too all the time I thinks it is awesome. (like turks or spaniards and you overhear them in the bus and only understand half the convo because they are code switching so much

I think some kids are just a bit laid back when it comes to that. they register a lot of words but dont use them until they are a certain age and it all comes out of them like a mentos in a diet coke :haha:.

I think he's sort of shy, or doesn't see the point in verbalising things as much. Dh didn't really talk till he was 4!!

Thanks for the reassurance, girls! I know, you're both right. She'll get there in her own time. And since she's showing us she understands a lot that's helping me feel less worried about it.

We were out doing some shopping today and guess what?! At the shopping center the Christmastree was already up! I was a huge one, all decorated with lights. Then I realized, omg the Christmasmarkets will open in the next 2 weeks! Now that came fast! What are all of your holiday plans? What are the babies getting for Christmas? :xmas4:

Im thinking a wooden pram for Ella :p
Probably have to go to the in laws for christmas as it'll be the last one for a while!

Im thinking a wooden pram for Ella :p
Probably have to go to the in laws for christmas as it'll be the last one for a while!

Must be really hard for them. :( Was the same with mine, I felt horrible the closer the move got.

We are also at my oh#s inlaws ;)

on the evening of 24th.

The fuss they're making, I don't feel so bad... they could be supportive if that's what we want!!!

The fuss they're making, I don't feel so bad... they could be supportive if that's what we want!!!

Yeah, I know the feeling too! I felt so guilty about it yet it was also frustrating to feel like we can't move on with our lives in the direction we believe is best because of others' thoughts on it. MIL was saying, well at least you'll still be in DE and I thought, omg what will it be like if we really do move to the US one day. :/ It was really tough and to this day I can't figure out if it was the right decision to move. Of course your situation is different as you're from NZ so no matter what one side of the family is going to be far, unfortunately. Some days I soo want to move back to the US. International relationships.. :wacko:

From day 1 we've been saying we want to live in NZ, I don't get why they're surprised. And they hardly ever visit...

From day 1 we've been saying we want to live in NZ, I don't get why they're surprised. And they hardly ever visit...

How far do they live from you guys? My MIL would have visited everyday if we allowed it. She used to just stop by whenever but DH had to let her know it doesn't work that way. She means well and is an awesome grandma but it was just too much living across the street from her. I can understand how it's like the end of the world for them when grandbabies are taken far. It's a tough situation but you're doing what's best for your family. I'm sure they'll accept it in time and everything will fall into place. NZ is absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure a wonderful country to raise a family. I'm a little jealous. :p:coolio: Did you say you found a bilingual kindergarten you could send Ella to?

No, just a bilingual play group.
They live 4 hours away. They've been like 3 times :/
Cant wait to go homeeeee :D

Gulp.. a nasty storm is making its way towards us, morri! Stay safe!

I was already away when the storm was there, I left a day before for 4 weeks of SA

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->