Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

Yea maybe try eliminating some to see if it does help your numbers at all. Then if you find it does help, can try adding small amounts of things back in. Finding "your trigger foods" is key. Certain people react differently to different carbs. So maybe just try a very minimal carb day and see what impact it has.

But remember, you shouldn't totally eliminate carbs, just eat the RIGHT carbs and balance it well with protein. My nutritionist just stressed, eat protein with every meal/snack. Also, eat more often... this helps balance your blood sugar too.

Chin up! :)

It is different as I only have GD and this is only what I have to do for 6 months or so from 2nd tri to having baby - but I barely eat carbs, it might be worth seeing how you get on for a few days trying reducing them?

I eat a lot of meat and veg. There are some really good facebook recipe groups with low carb ideas. I have 2 other kids and a carb obsessed husband so I've adapted a lot of meals so I can sort of have what they have. Like if they have pasta I have the same sauce but with spiralized courgette (zuchinni) and carrot. I have to eat a hell of a lot of vegetables to get full up but I manage it!

I eat a lot of cheese and nuts too.

I can only eat one type of bread (that is here in the UK, we haven't totally caught on to the low carb idea like in the US) - it is called Soya and Linseed bread and I can have one slice of that fine. A little more if I eat a lot of protien with it.

I can do all the usual things like eat an apple but only if I have it with cheese or unsweetened, chunky peanut butter.

I am sorry about how your doctor has treated you :hugs: the spotting could be down to the internal scan? Xxx

Hey ladies, you guys have been busy! I am also still diet controlled on my GD.
I definitely second the apple and a cheese stick for an afternoon snack. The hardest thing for me is waiting 2 hours after a meal to test before I snack because I usually eat 6 or more small meals a day.

A snack to look into is O'Briens Own Granola. It's made in a small farming town in Iowa and they have a chocolate peanut butter one that is amazing. You would have to buy the 3x protein version, but so far it has not thrown my numbers at all. It has 14g of protein with the soy nuts mixed in and only 8g of sugars, 4g of fiber and only 24g of total carbs in a half cup. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but it really takes the edge off of my desire for chocolate and fills me up.

I would definitely stay away from the fried stuff! My highest number came from a fried Shrimp dinner with about 5 French fries and we even did a mile walk home after eating.

Hey ladies, you guys have been busy! I am also still diet controlled on my GD.
I definitely second the apple and a cheese stick for an afternoon snack. The hardest thing for me is waiting 2 hours after a meal to test before I snack because I usually eat 6 or more small meals a day.

A snack to look into is O'Briens Own Granola. It's made in a small farming town in Iowa and they have a chocolate peanut butter one that is amazing. You would have to buy the 3x protein version, but so far it has not thrown my numbers at all. It has 14g of protein with the soy nuts mixed in and only 8g of sugars, 4g of fiber and only 24g of total carbs in a half cup. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but it really takes the edge off of my desire for chocolate and fills me up.

I would definitely stay away from the fried stuff! My highest number came from a fried Shrimp dinner with about 5 French fries and we even did a mile walk home after eating.

from what I know so far: oats, candies and cinnamon raise my sugars, yes cinnamon.i can usually get away with very small amounts of potato, breads. When I do fry, I fry naked

If you're in Canada and maybe the US, Dempster Thin bread only has 7 countable carbs per slice.

Everyone is so different I can do oats OK, cinammon seems to help me out a lot but I can't look at potato at all!

Know what I can't eat? Blueberries. They kill me and they're supposed to be really low in carbs.

Wow babifever! Your doctor sounds like a real jerk! I am so sorry he made you feel so bad!:hugs:

I remember when I was pregnant with my first we went to the doctor at the 5 week mark and she asked me the weirdest questions. She asked me if my husband was the father of my child and then she asked us if we wanted to have this child. :wacko:

Now every time I meet a medical professional for the first time, I brace myself for thoughtless comments. Looks like a lot of them need a lesson or two in emotional intelligence.

My diet has changed a lot since I was diagnosed. Here's what I eat daily. It's pretty boring but works for me.

Breakfast
Fibre rich fermented spelt bread with lot of pumpkin seeds. The combination of fiber and the fact that the bread is fermented somehow works for me, so I can have two slices with butter and cheese. I used to have a couple of eggs for breakfast but if I see an egg again I will hurl! I am sick of them! On the weekends I mix some low fat cottage cheese with reduced sugar jam and put that on my bread.

Lunch
Couple more slices of the same bread and cheese or bread and peanut butter and a salad or avocado slices with a decaf latte made with whole milk. Sometimes I put together a Chipotle style burrito bowl with beans, brown rice, guacamole, lettuce and greek yogurt.

Dinner
Boring chicken or fish with brown rice and cooked veg and/or salad. A couple of times a week I have my Chipotle style burrito bowl for dinner.

Snacks
sugar free chocolate sweetened with sugar alcohols, sugar free ice cream sweetened with splenda, low carb crackers and cheese, nuts, nuts and more nuts, apples or pears. I always have a protein with my snacks.

I am not a big meat eater, never was. I don't eat red meat at all and only reluctantly eat chicken and fish. If it was up to me, I would be a vegetarian easily! My biggest challenge with this diet has to be with getting in protein. I love beans but I toot like crazy afterwards :blush:

If you're in Canada and maybe the US, Dempster Thin bread only has 7 countable carbs per slice.

Yea I've never heard of that bread here...

This is the one I eat:

https://carblightliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/carb-light-bread.jpg

I also bought a few low carb/diabetes cookbooks which have some great recipes in them. Sometimes, I eat french toast with roasted berries for breakfast.

I take two slices of the above bread, do the french toast thing (dip them in egg & milk), cook them - then, I take 1 cup of rassberries, blueberries (sorry northern! ;) ) and strawberries and make a compote with them. Then you pour that over the french toast and serve with sugar free maple syrup! Very tasty if you're tired of eggs eggs eggs. :)

Oneway, I am totally jealous of your latte! The only two things I have found that consistently put me over even small amounts of regular pop and any type of coffee that isn't black.

[
I take two slices of the above bread, do the french toast thing (dip them in egg & milk), cook them - then, I take 1 cup of rassberries, blueberries (sorry northern! ;) ) and strawberries and make a compote with them. Then you pour that over the french toast and serve with sugar free maple syrup! Very tasty if you're tired of eggs eggs eggs. :)

What a great idea for a weekend meal! Thanks Amythyst!

Oneway, I am totally jealous of your latte! The only two things I have found that consistently put me over even small amounts of regular pop and any type of coffee that isn't black.

Haha! It's no wonder that I look forward to lunch the most. I love my latte and am very happy my body is reacting well to milk. Have you tried soymilk lattes?

I find soy milk lattes way tastier than regular lattes.

I just got back from diabetes education where they decided to wait ANOTHER week until they put me on insulin. My numbers have been much better but they said it's because I'm half starving myself. I know I've been cutting down on food a lot and that I'm really hungry but I thought my food intake was ok. Anyway they want to see if me increasing my food intake makes them go back up.

I am so ready to be done with all of these appointments.

well I went to my primary care physician, the one that diagnosis me with diabetes back in June. Low and be hold, he cannot and does not treat pregnant woman! He said normally at this point he refers his patients to their obgyn.

After I explained everything from yesterday, he said he was going to refer me to a Endocrinology doctor, who could treat me......I have a feeling no one is going to treat me but high risk because im pregnant...

At this time they haven't been able to locate a endocrine that's available now or accepts my insurance. So therefore I'm still in limbo, blood sugars still high!

I did call the high risk and made a compliant against the prik doc! Of course they just apologized. They have me scheduled in 2 weeks with another doctor, but still cannot treat me because my pregnancy is not considered "valuable" until the fetal pole and heart beat are detected. They used the word valuable.

The nurse manager (at high risk) also commented that 615 was still low for around 5 weeks: yet primary and obgyn said they make their determination from the second drawing and 615 was okay for around 4- 5 weeks!! I pray this high risk clinic doesn't continue to drown me in worry and doubt!

I did get my hcg drawn again today from 72 hours since last hcg. Results will be back Monday. Then my next ultrasound is Tuesday, in which they'll draw more blood.

At this point I have decided to leave everything up to God. I see why ultrasounds are not recommended until 8 to 12 weeks after lmp. Although this situation wasn't planned.

I honestly believe Im 4 weeks 6 days as one site predicted, based on 32 day cycle average, lmp 12/13 and a estimated lethal phase of 13 (according to fertility friends estimate). If so, then I'm right on target.

I went a ahead and changed my ticker from 9/19 to 9/26. Praying my bean sticks. Now the Chinese prediction is a boy, instead of a girl, ha ha.

Fingers crossed. I'm so surprised they're being so negative and blunt.

Just thought I'd share something. I read that if your BS spikes after eating a particular food that should not be spiking your BS, you could have an undiagnosed intolerance to that particular food. The spike in BS is caused by an inflammatory response to that particular food.

Just thought I'd share something. I read that if your BS spikes after eating a particular food that should not be spiking your BS, you could have an undiagnosed intolerance to that particular food. The spike in BS is caused by an inflammatory response to that particular food.

that's interesting.....

Hey all, just got my 2nd hcg back. I was "615" - 72 hours later "2043". So I tripled you can say. I'm very pleased. Tomorrow morning will have another ultrasound and hcg test. Super excited! Anyone else got back hcg tests?

what's pissing me off is still no help with my diabetes! Primary won't treat me and can't find a endocrine. Obgyn won't treat me until fetal pole it detected. This is ridiculous.

Well lets hope tomorrow they see something more on your ultrasound... I would be raising hell with someone if doctors were just letting my diabetes run rampant and refusing to treat me. Pregnant or not, to just keep shuffling someone around because you don't want to deal with them is unacceptable.

Well lets hope tomorrow they see something more on your ultrasound... I would be raising hell with someone if doctors were just letting my diabetes run rampant and refusing to treat me. Pregnant or not, to just keep shuffling someone around because you don't want to deal with them is unacceptable.

tomorrow I'm going to demand they do something

That's very good news about your hcg test babifever! Hopefully you get help with the diabetes before long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->