Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Another question...I brought DD to the drs yesterday and she has lost 1lb in 8 days. :cry: I know she is getting enough bc alot of her feeds were EBM 2.5oz wich is alot for a NB and after a BF she is satisfied. My question is how do I know that shes not just gettig fore milk and no fatty milk? My EBM is very white and I remember it being more yellow with DS so am I just making alot of crappy milk?

If she was getting too much foremilk her poo would be green.

What was her birth weight? What is her weight now? Did you have her weighed at all in between and what were those weights?

Is she hydrated and wetting 6 or more nappies in a day? Is she alert? (as alert as a newborn can be anyway) and what did the doc say?

Really?Well her poo is defo yellow.

Her birth weight was 7lb 10oz and on day 2 she was 7lb 4oz and day 8 6lb 11oz with a diaper on.

She has plently of wet/dirty nappies defo at least 6. When shes awake wich is every 3 ish hours shes alert and stays awake for 10-15 minutes. The doc just said he would see her in a week and he wasnt very concerned...but I am.

Oh, hon, she's fine! :hugs:

Those numbers are actually really good. It means she has lost only 12.2% of her birthweight. You expect a bfed baby to loose up to 15% and I have seen as much as 20%. You also don't expect them to start gaining back until sometime during the second week. They might not recover all of their birthweight until they are 4 weeks or more.

If she has yellow poos, is alert, content, and wetting the right number of nappies, then there is nothing to worry about yet. I promise!

Look at the math this way -- she was 122 oz when she was born, at 8 days she is 107 oz... that is a difference of only 12.2%.

She'll start gaining sometime this week most likely. Don't worry. Just keep doing what you are doing and weigh her again in a week. :hugs:

Thank you so much im gonna try an relax and just wait and see what shes at by next week.

Keep in mind the last month of gestation is designed largely for THIS purpose. That is when they start putting on extra fat reserves precisely because they loose weight the first week or two. Their bodies are desinged to handle it. It's normal, natural, and not a problem at all. :D

He vomited quite a lot we dont knoww if its cause of trapped wind or me giving him too much today
My milk flow goes really fast and today when he took a little pause i could see the milk coming as jet from the nipple

i have a few questions, really appreciate any advice :flower:

my baby is still feeding every 2 hours during the day, occasinaly he has a random bout of cluster feeding aswell, so sometimes i can be feeding him every 30 mins!
is this normal at his age? (11 weeks) he usualy always comes off the breast looking satisfied, however he is sick alot after most feeds. i dont so much mind when i am at home, but trying to go out and do anything is a nightmare if hes wanting 30 min or hourly feeds! :wacko:

and also, he is wanting to comfort suck alot, he'll cry like he wants a feed and when he gets on, he just comfort sucks and will cry when i take it away. he used to take a dummy but stopped a few weeks ago, and despite desperatly trying to get him to take one again he rarely does. is there anything i can do about this? as in shall i just let him do it, or should i refuse it and let him get out of the habit?

also i mentioned the sickyness. is that normal? it is usualy after every feed and if hes been feeding more frequently theres more of it. it will go down all over him down me and to the floor...so theres pleantly of it

thanks. xx

I need help! Me and dd (now 19 weeks) were diagnosed with thrush 10 weeks ago. Had daktarin cream for me and gel for baby, and at least 7 weeks worth of fluconazole. Dr. now saying it might not be thrush but i know when i am not vigilant with the creams etc, and when I have stopped tablets, symptoms get worse. He is referring me to hospital but says they are likely to refer me back to HV (who I have already spoke to lots!). Will this ever end? Feels like giving up breastfeeding only option :(.

my baby is still feeding every 2 hours during the day, occasinaly he has a random bout of cluster feeding aswell, so sometimes i can be feeding him every 30 mins!
is this normal at his age? (11 weeks) he usualy always comes off the breast looking satisfied, however he is sick alot after most feeds. i dont so much mind when i am at home, but trying to go out and do anything is a nightmare if hes wanting 30 min or hourly feeds! :wacko:

and also, he is wanting to comfort suck alot, he'll cry like he wants a feed and when he gets on, he just comfort sucks and will cry when i take it away. he used to take a dummy but stopped a few weeks ago, and despite desperatly trying to get him to take one again he rarely does. is there anything i can do about this? as in shall i just let him do it, or should i refuse it and let him get out of the habit?

also i mentioned the sickyness. is that normal? it is usualy after every feed and if hes been feeding more frequently theres more of it. it will go down all over him down me and to the floor...so theres pleantly of it

thanks. xx

My LO never extended his feeds past 2 hours until near 6 months. I would say this is perfectly normal. Also his 12 week growth spurt started around 10 weeks and lasted a good three weeks! This could explain if it's an increase in feeding?

As for the sickiness, how much is your LO bringing up? It's normal for them to possett afterwards. During growth spurts I found my LO was a lot more sicky, I think its where they are increasing your supply but not actually needing the milk right then? Is he having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? Is there any other symptoms? Ie is he restless afterwards or anything like that? Does he seem bothered by the sickness?

I never gave my LO a dummy so can't really help with that, although he used to comfort suck on me a lot. My NCT midwife said to me that your breast is everything to them for the first few months, food, drink, comfort etc and to just go with it which I did, I appreciate it is annoying when they do it though!

He vomited quite a lot we dont knoww if its cause of trapped wind or me giving him too much today
My milk flow goes really fast and today when he took a little pause i could see the milk coming as jet from the nipple

I think this is quite normal after your let down, it certainally was for me, how are you getting on now? Xx

I need help! Me and dd (now 19 weeks) were diagnosed with thrush 10 weeks ago. Had daktarin cream for me and gel for baby, and at least 7 weeks worth of fluconazole. Dr. now saying it might not be thrush but i know when i am not vigilant with the creams etc, and when I have stopped tablets, symptoms get worse. He is referring me to hospital but says they are likely to refer me back to HV (who I have already spoke to lots!). Will this ever end? Feels like giving up breastfeeding only option :(.

I don't know to much about thrush, sorry but please don't give up. Get as much advice as possible, is there a bf support group in your area you can visit? Or call la Leche league or NCT breastfeeding support lines? When you are at the hospital I would refuse to leave until they can help you further. Just referring back to someone who already didn't help isn't good enough xx

I don't know to much about thrush, sorry but please don't give up. Get as much advice as possible, is there a bf support group in your area you can visit? Or call la Leche league or NCT breastfeeding support lines? When you are at the hospital I would refuse to leave until they can help you further. Just referring back to someone who already didn't help isn't good enough xx[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have spoken to millions of HV's, one of them did a lot of research for me, I go to a support group and have exhausted all their ideas, and tried the NCT support lines. Also seen a few different doctors all of whom say different things! Read every scrap of info on internet I can find, tried endless home remedies. Will definitely stage a sit-in at the hospital!

I don't want to give up, but options are running thin :(

I don't know to much about thrush, sorry but please don't give up. Get as much advice as possible, is there a bf support group in your area you can visit? Or call la Leche league or NCT breastfeeding support lines? When you are at the hospital I would refuse to leave until they can help you further. Just referring back to someone who already didn't help isn't good enough xx

Thanks. I have spoken to millions of HV's, one of them did a lot of research for me, I go to a support group and have exhausted all their ideas, and tried the NCT support lines. Also seen a few different doctors all of whom say different things! Read every scrap of info on internet I can find, tried endless home remedies. Will definitely stage a sit-in at the hospital!

I don't want to give up, but options are running thin :([/QUOTE]

Maybe post a thread in the main forum? I know there is a lot of ladies who have battled with thrush and recovered from it xx

I think this is quite normal after your let down, it certainally was for me, how are you getting on now? Xx

We r doing better i make more pauses when he eat and we r using gripe water ( :kiss:)for his wind problems

We r doing better i make more pauses when he eat and we r using gripe water ( :kiss:)for his wind problems

Thats fantastic glad your doing better and gripe water seems to be helping. Anymore issues please get in touch xx

Just wondering do you always burp baby cause mine gt a looooooooooooooot of gaz and sometimes its really hard to get a burp whn he sleeps and iam really scared that he vomit while m asleep ....any advices?

Yep, normal. My DS fed every 1-2 hours, more often during growth spurts, until he was 14 weeks. Then he fed every 2-3 hours, around the clock, more often during spurts, until nearly 8 months. :wacko: My DD is 4.5 months old and has always fed every 2-3 hours and isn't showing signs of going longer any time soon. :sigh:

I can make getting out with them difficult. It helps if you just get comfortable feeding in public. Use a sling if you can. I use a ring sling (has a long tail) or my hooded mai tei. I can set them up to nurse, have at least one hand (often 2) free, and let them nurse without anyone being able to see them or my boobs. :thumbup:

I had this same problem wtih my DS. He took a dummy until he was a few months old, but then rejected it completely. He used me to comfort suck for quite some time, but eventually discovered his thumb. What a relief that was! He's nearly 18 months now and still a MAJOR thumb sucker. :haha: He also still uses me to comfort suck at his bedtime nurse.

My DD is currently using me as a human dummy. :roll: She sorta takes a dummy, but not well and is growing to dislike it more and more. I'm battling her all the time with it, especially at night. She's becoming convinced she can't sleep without a boob in her mouth. :growlmad: Obviously, that doesn't work for either of us. I'm just doing my best to allow her a bit of comfort sucking, but try to get her in the habit of sleeping without it. So far she's winning at night. :dohh: But I will persevere and eventually win! :smug:

thanks. xx

Bringing some milk up is normal. However, if you really feel it is excessive or it cearly seems to bother him, get it checked. It is possible he has reflux or some other problem. Try holding him upright for a bit after each feed and see if that helps. Also, when he shows early signs of being hungry, try to distract him with other things (toys, play, whatever) for as long as you can. This can help stretch out feeds, ensure they are not eating out of sheer boredom and cut down on overeating. :thumbup:

What are your symptoms that get worse? What are the baby's symptoms exactly?

Do you express? I am pretty sure you can get acidopholus in drop form and add it to a bit of ebm and give it to your baby everyday.

Make sure to take acidopholus yourself, too.

Cut down on sugar as much as you can. The less sugar you eat, the less likely you are to develop thrush.

Eat probiotic yogurt everyday. When LO is older and on solids you can feed him(her?) probiotic yogurt, too.

Let your nipples air out and dry after each feed. Give your nipples and boobs as much air time as possible -- if you are at home alone, literally shut the blinds and walk around the house with no top or bra on.

I really hope you can get this sorted and not have to stop BFing!! :flower:

Just wondering do you always burp baby cause mine gt a looooooooooooooot of gaz and sometimes its really hard to get a burp whn he sleeps and iam really scared that he vomit while m asleep ....any advices?

Lots of gas is typical for a baby whose mom has a fast let down. :dohh: Both my kiddos have the same problem.

Once my kids got to about 3 months old, I found sitting them up worked best for burping them. I sit them sideways on my knee/thigh with their legs hanging over the side of my leg. I use one had to support them, usually holding onto their chest and under their arm. When they didn't have good head control yet, I would hold them under their chin. I use my other hand to pat their back.

It can take AGES to get a good burp up. :roll: Also, laying them on their belly seems to help, too. If I can't get DD to burp with patting her, I put her on her belly and get her to lift her head up. This makes her arch her back just right and often she will bring air up.

As for when they are sleeping -- yeah that's hard! I don't tend to get good burps if they fall asleep while nursing. :nope: I never burp them at night as we co-sleep and I don't wake enough to burp them. :haha:

Do you have LO in the same room with you when you sleep? What are your arrangments? How does LO sleep? (Back, belly, blankets, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->