Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

i should also add,

i think the biggest mistake i made was in the beginning.
i started exclusively expressing without looking in to it AT ALL
and in the beginning i made so much milk i only pumped 2 or 3 times a day, because i thats all i needed to feed him, and i didn't know i had to pump frequently to keep my supply up
so about 2 weeks in my supply had dropped alot .. and LO had started eating more
and thats when i started doing it every 2/3 hours but seems like by then it was too late and havn't been able to increase my supply since .. so more LOs appetite increases, the more formula he ends up getting
even though i really wish he wasn't having any formula :(

I've never had to power pump, so don't have any direct experience with it. However, power pumping would be similar to what a baby would do during a growth spurt. So, if you haven't done it, give it a try. And do it for a couple of days at least.

Do you actually smell of maple syrup since starting Fenugreek? If not, increase your dose.

Maybe give the script meds a go. Most women only have to use it for a couple of weeks to give their milk a boost and then can maintain that with proper stimulation. If you've tried everything else, give it a go.

You can also read this and see if it helps at all:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

https://www.mother-2-mother.com/ExclusivePumping.htm

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html

https://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

HELP! I just started work and my milk supply is dwindling :(

My LO is 7 weeks old, I work from 8am-2pm.. Previously, I had been able to express 6-7oz of milk at 11am everyday. I started working this week and continued expressing at my usual time but noticed my supply going down by the day, from 7oz down to 4.5oz

Any help would be appreciated

First, don't panic. :)

Second, it is normal for your milk supply to regulate and settle at about 6-8 weeks, which is exactly where you are. Up until then, you will usually produce more than baby needs. As soon as your body figures out exactly what baby needs, it will only produce that much.

How much is LO taking while you are gone? I would think the 4.5 oz you are getting is all LO is eating anyway?

If LO is actually taking more than you can pump, you can do a few things to help up supply:

Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and eating plenty of protien.
Eat oatmeal everyday.
Take supplements like fenugreek.
Pump longer (if your break time allows) even after you are empty. The extra stimulation will trick your body into thinking it isn't making enough and up production.
Pump a second time during the day when you are home.

But, my guess, is that you won't need to do any of those.

:flower:

Thanks for the response TigerLady

You're right, 4.5oz is just about what my LO takes while I'm away but I was hoping I'd have those extra few ounces to stash in the freezer. I'm guessing that as my baby grows he'll be needing more milk, I'm worried I won't be producing enough for him..

I've started taking oatmeal for breakfast and will try to squeeze in another pumping session when I'm back home :)

Thanks once again xx

No problem! :D

I wouldn't worry -- it is unlikely that your LO will ever take more than about that in a feed. Your milk changes as your baby grows to meet new needs. So, you don't have to up the amount like you do with formula.

Neither of my kids have ever had more than 3-5 oz per feed and usually average 3-4. Even when my DS was 9 months old, he was still only taking about 4 oz per ebm feed. DD takes 3-4 and is 6 months. :thumbup:

Hi

I'm 34weeks pregnant and really want to breastfeed. Iv had eczema and other minor health problems so really keen to give LO as much chance at immunity as possible. I only have 1 friend that managed to BF and tons that tell me it didn't work for them and not to pin my hopes on it. Really could do with some advice on wether I can prepare for it now or if it's just a case of waiting till baby arrives? Ive bought a medela breast pump and also some bottles so I can express if baby won't latch. I've got lasinoh cream and breast pads. Do I need anything else? Really want this to work, not judging anyone who formula fed but could do with some advocates to spur me on in case it's difficult.

We're always here if you need help!

You shouldn't really need anything that you haven't already gotten. The only other thing to consider is a nursing pillow, like a boppy. I found mine invaluable when I first started BFing my DS. I used it at every nursing for about 3-4 weeks. I still use both boppies that I have (not for nursing now but other things) -- they are among the most useful purchases I made.

I think the other biggest thing to do is prepare yourself mentally and emotionally. Have you read up on what to expect the first few days? Especially right after birth? I would do that. I'm more than willing to describe what I experienced and what to be prepared for if you'd like. It might also be useful to post a thread asking for other people's experiences, bumps, and successes on the main board. Ladies are more than willing to share and having a variety of stories might help. Each woman has a different experience and it's hard to say what yours will be.

Set realistic goals that match your personality. If you work better on short term goals (most women do) then use those. Say you are going to BFed for 3 days to give colostrum. Then, when you get there, say until 4 weeks, then when you get there, say until 8 weeks, etc.

If you work better on long term goals (like I do), then use those. I started with the goal of "never giving formula." That meant BFing for at least one year. As I got closer to 6 months, I moved that to BFing for 18 months and possibly allowing self weaning. Now, I am at nearly 20 months and have decided to see where things are when DS is 2. My new goal for DD is also at least 2.

Make sure those around you know your intentions. Tell them now that you will NOT tolerate them suggesting formula or bottles. And mean that! The hardest thing for a new mom to do is struggle with BFing and then have those closest to her (OH, mom, etc) say "just give them a bottle." It makes most women give up. They need to say "You can do this, what can I do to help?" Explain that to them now.

Stay strong! Keep telling yourself this is what is best for your baby. Come here and ask any questions you have -- no matter how simple or silly. :flower:

Have faith in your baby to latch. Don't assume you will have latching problems. The vast majority of babies will latch. Most babies latch with only minor problems needing minor adjustments. Some latch perfectly from the start. A few rare ones won't latch or have very bad latches. There is usually (but not always) a medical reason for that, such as tongue tie.

So, don't jump to the bottle too fast. Try to put it in your mind that you won't offer a bottle until BFing is well established (usually 4-6 weeks).

What else can I answer for you?? :D

Hi! So I breast fed my LO for over a month and loved it but for some reason my supply vanished! I really miss breast feeding and have been debating trying again but I don't even know if it's possible? I've heard about relactation but will it even work?

Thanks. :flower:

Your supply vanished? That's very unusual! What happened?

You can certainly try relactation. It works for some and not for others. I don't know a great deal about it, though. Your best bet is to search the main BFing forum for relaction threads (there are several) and chat with someone that has tried it. It involves LOADS of pumping, skin to skin, and probably supplements. But if you are determined it can work.

Hi, please could I have some support?

My baby girl (my first) is only 1 week old and so far BF'ing has been a real uphill struggle.

In quick summary (as I have had two dedicated threads) at first I was worried my LO wasn't getting enough food due to her only appearing to want very short feeds but my midwife weighed her and reassured me that everything was fine. Strangely since then her feeding time seems to have increased to 20-25 minutes per feed which is great :)

My next problem was sore damaged nipples but again between my midwife and the advice I received on here things are improving slowly but surely to the point where the last couple of days I was actually starting to look forward to feeds.

Since last night however LO has started fussing at the breast and letting go of my nipple whilst clearly still being hungry and immediately rooting and/or trying to reattach herself. She is doing this more on one breast than the other.

I've again started worry about why she's doing this and where I'm going wrong. My midwife told me to keep breaking her latch and reattaching when I felt it was anything other than 100% perfect due to my sore nipples and I wondered if this could have lead to the problem?

I would really appreciate any advice on this. It feels that we jump over one hurdle only to be faced with another :nope: x

Hi, hon. :wave:

First, :hugs: You are clearly doing a fantastic job so far. Your struggles sound pretty similar to what I faced early on. I had terribly sore, bleeding, blistered and cracked nipples with my DS. I had it nearly as bad with my DD. Ouch! The pain is very intense.

You were given good advice to unlatch and relatch her. So, don't second guess that. The problem she is having now may (hopefully!) turn out to be no big deal and just a very short phase. Have you tried other feeding positions? Try a couple of different ones and see if that helps. Also, pay close attention to what position she feeds best in. My DD was was VERY picky about her body position for the first couple of months. She would have a bad latch and unlatch frequently unless it was just right. I had to have her firmly on her side, spine straight and lined up perfectly, head slightly higher than feet. I would have to adjust her feet, hips, shoulders, etc until she was just right. Then she would settle down and nurse well. :wacko:

Also, make sure there aren't distractions in the room. Try to nurse in a calm, quiet place with low light. That might help, too.

Then, give it a few days. She may settle down on her own. But try these things out in the meantime. :thumbup: Let me know how it goes. :D

Thanks TigerLady I will experiment. I did also wonder if this may have something to do with positioning and perhaps she just isn't comfy. It may be I've been concentrating so hard on latching her that making sure she's comfy has been forgotten to an extent.

I'll let you know how we get on x

Starlight this sounds exactly the same as my experience with James. Your doing fantastic, just stick at it! If shes fussing, you could also try taking her off, winding her, then trying again. She could be a bit uncomfortable that way?

PS have you got Lansinoh cream? its a godsend! xx

Thanks pinkclaire, Lamisoh is brilliant.

I'm still having problems with the latch on my one breast but she is latching brilliantly on the other now :) I'm conscious that I may be tensing up as I know it's going to hurt when she tries to latch but I can't stop myself.

I'm Definately sticking with it though. The midwife weighed her today and at 10 days old Maia has exceeded her birth weight. I'm so proud that despite the initial problems with BF we have managed to achieve this :happydance:

Well done! :dance:

I used to tense for the latch, too, in the early days when it was painful. I tried very hard (and it sometimes worked) to keep my core, arms, and shoulders relaxed, but allow my toes to curl or even grab something with my hand and clench my fist. I would also clench my jaw. It seemed to allow me to mentally prepare for the pain, but still keep me mostly relaxed where baby could feel me most. Then I would take a few deep breaths and try to relax completely.

The pain will go soon and relaxing will be easier. :hugs:

Yes I second what TL said, it is hard, but it will go away over time, when you feel yourself tensing drop your shoulders, or even better get OH to rub them for you! This will make a massive difference xx

Has anyone got experience hand expressing colostrum from inverted nipples?

I gave get up an OK rhythm and get some supply from one of my nipples (formerly flat but during pregnancy has become very slightly protruding) but am finding getting anything out of the inverted nipple almost impossible. I can, however, get something out with a breast pump, but I have to pump, then quickly swoop in with the syringe to collect, then pump again.

I'm asking because I need to prenatally build up a supply and some stores for my baby as I have gestational diabetes and it's esp important to have a good supply to prevent the baby getting hypoglycaemia after birth.

Has anyone got experience hand expressing colostrum from inverted nipples?

I gave get up an OK rhythm and get some supply from one of my nipples (formerly flat but during pregnancy has become very slightly protruding) but am finding getting anything out of the inverted nipple almost impossible. I can, however, get something out with a breast pump, but I have to pump, then quickly swoop in with the syringe to collect, then pump again.

I'm asking because I need to prenatally build up a supply and some stores for my baby as I have gestational diabetes and it's esp important to have a good supply to prevent the baby getting hypoglycaemia after birth.

There is a few ladies on the front page who have experience with inverted nipples? It may be worth PM'ing one of them?

I need a little advice. Just a background, I am 28 years old and my son will be 1 week tomorrow. He is my 4th child. My first child was FF, second son was BF and FF, and my daughter was strictly BF but that was 5 years ago. I BF her until she was 1.
The problems I have been having so far. He seems to always want to nurse. How do I know if he just wants to be soothed or if he is really hungry? I have just been feeding him everytime he wants to eat. Should I just keep doing this? I actually pumped for the first time this morning because I was feeling very full and uncomfortable. I got a little over and ounce from both sides, after pumping for just 5 minutes total. Is this a good amount for him being less than a week? I just worry when he gets upset that maybe its because he is hungry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->