Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated :) I just dont want to do something now and regret it 6mnths later by getting in bad habits. I know i shouldn't worry but it's hard not too so thanks for the reassurance. My DS is a very happy bubba and hardly cries so he must be a happy boy so that must mean I'm doing ok

Hi,

My baby 1 month old was diagnosed with oral thrush this morning by HV. I have been having some pain while feeding too and LO has white patches in his mouth. We were prescribed miconazole gel twice a day for LO and miconazole 2% cream for me. I have been asked to put the cream on twice a day and wash before feeding LO. However, I just looked up the BFN site for the thrush leaflet https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....t_Feb_2009.pdf and on there it says 4 times for child. And for mum to use the cream after every feed and only wipe extra stuff and not wash nipples like HV said.

Anyone used this stuff before have any advice?

Im worried about LO not getting enough milk from me sometimes not always i'd have him on the breast a LONG time and he still isn't satisfied and i feel knackered like im gonna pass out and occasionally give him a Formula bottle just to ease my stress. Sometimes when hes on the breast he fights with the nipple starts moving his head side to side and crying looks like a dog with their toy lol, anyone know what that means?

^ Think I'm stalking you :rofl:

Sounds perfectly normal for your LO's age, Chances are you are coming up to one of the many growth spurts.

When does this seem to happen? He's most likely cluster feeding, think of it as he's putting in his order for the next day until your milk supply settles properly.

If he's putting on weight, Plenty of wet and dirty nappies he's getting everything he needs from you.

xx

Im worried about LO not getting enough milk from me sometimes not always i'd have him on the breast a LONG time and he still isn't satisfied and i feel knackered like im gonna pass out and occasionally give him a Formula bottle just to ease my stress. Sometimes when hes on the breast he fights with the nipple starts moving his head side to side and crying looks like a dog with their toy lol, anyone know what that means?

could be wind, despite what some MWs and HVs say, BF babies do get windy too, with mine in the early days I always took them off at least once during feeding to wind them and it helped a lot xx

Hi,

My baby 1 month old was diagnosed with oral thrush this morning by HV. I have been having some pain while feeding too and LO has white patches in his mouth. We were prescribed miconazole gel twice a day for LO and miconazole 2% cream for me. I have been asked to put the cream on twice a day and wash before feeding LO. However, I just looked up the BFN site for the thrush leaflet https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....t_Feb_2009.pdf and on there it says 4 times for child. And for mum to use the cream after every feed and only wipe extra stuff and not wash nipples like HV said.

Yes I have used these. Thrush takes about 90 minutes to grow back, so ideally you should use it very frequently. I used to use it after every feed for me, and about 5/6 times a day for lo. I didnt wash it off, but I know other ladies have so it's really up to you.

You also might want to ask for fluconazole tablets for you, they are much more effective.

And get some acidophilus, it is great at fighting thrush!

Hope you feel better soon x

Im worried i might of dried up :( my boobs are not getting hard anymore and uncomfy when i dont feed for a few hrs x

Im worried i might of dried up :( my boobs are not getting hard anymore and uncomfy when i dont feed for a few hrs x

My boobs have NEVER gotten hard...like not even in the beginning. and I have been BFing my baby girl for over 10 months. So don't let that be a guide for you. :hugs:

Mine used to feel sore and hard when they were full x

Its totally normal for your supply to regulate at the 2-3 mark; this means your boobs can go pretty much back to how they were before BF, doesn't mean your milk has dried up, its incredibly rare for your milk to dry up all of a sudden especially if you stick to EBF in the first few weeks xx

I haven't been EBF been giving him formula but always been BF first then if he wasnt satisfied would give him a bottle.

Hi,

Yes I have used these. Thrush takes about 90 minutes to grow back, so ideally you should use it very frequently. I used to use it after every feed for me, and about 5/6 times a day for lo. I didnt wash it off, but I know other ladies have so it's really up to you.

You also might want to ask for fluconazole tablets for you, they are much more effective.

Thanks Katt, But isnt fluconazole for very severe cases? Should i wait a bit first to see if the gel/cream is enough. I did get acidophillus from holland and barrat and garlic capsules as well.Taking 4 tabs of acidophillus a day.

As I said on your other thread; ideally you should EBF for the first few weeks because combi feeding at this point is very hard to maintain; but it isn't too late if I were you I'd try to get back to EBF now and then if I wanted to combi feed I would look into it after the 6 week mark xx

Hi,

Thanks Katt, But isnt fluconazole for very severe cases? Should i wait a bit first to see if the gel/cream is enough. I did get acidophillus from holland and barrat and garlic capsules as well.Taking 4 tabs of acidophillus a day.

If the pain is just in the nipple; then you won't need fluconazole; if its deep in the breast then I am afraid it is probably in the ducts and only fluconazole can get rid xx

As I said on your other thread; ideally you should EBF for the first few weeks because combi feeding at this point is very hard to maintain; but it isn't too late if I were you I'd try to get back to EBF now and then if I wanted to combi feed I would look into it after the 6 week mark xx

Ty for the advice x

Hi,

It depends where you have the thrush, if it is just on your nipples then the cream would probably be ok, but if it is in your milk ducts then fluconazole is more effective, though the cream mint work eventually.

If feeding is not too painful you could try the cream for a few days and see if it works, it won't do any harm.

Acidophilus is the best! You can also mix a little with breast milk and paste in lo's mouth, or break open a capsule and tip some in. You can buy a baby version but not sure where?

Hi, Champs!!! :wave: It's lovely to see everyone being so supportive in here. Can you take the time to check this thread and see what you can add? Thank you!!!!!! :flower:

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastf...wont-latch-low-supply-eeing.html#post11580158

Hi Hoping anyone can help.

I got a bit grief last week at the clinic, HV said I was not feeding DD correctly. I had been BF her on demand like always but gradually only giving her very small meals of food 3 times a day for the last 6 weeks.

She told me this was wrong and to feed DD 3 times a day both dinner and pudding with only water as a drink. Then BF her throughout the day inbetween the food feeds. DD sleeps 12h through the night so with these 3 meals I can only fit in 4 milk feeds.

Our routine is now

7am BF then breakfast
10.30 BF
12.30 dinner/pud/water
2.30 BF
5.00 dinner/pud/water
7pm bf

I have followed this for a week now and I can already see DD has gained weight and my milksupply has really decreased. I also feel like I am feeding her all day as it takes about 30m to eat all the food she recommended. Including her daytime sleeps she is either eating, sleeping or shitting!

I know she is growing up but surely this is excessive? Is 4 feeds a day enough to keep my milk suply up?

I have responded to you on Kelly's thread about vitamin drops; but this is why I avoid HVs like the plague; the government/NHS now advise most babies should be on 3 meals by 8-9 months or later. The advise to be on 3 meals a day plus puddings and snacks by 6-7 months comes from when the weaning age used to be 3-4 months and many babies who were FF were put on cows milk by 6 months and only having 3-4 cups of it a day; the idea was to completely get rid of breastfeeding or formula feeds by 1 year at the very latest. I believe that your HV is still following those old guidelines and the intention is that you end up stopping BF by one year because introducing solids like this will dramatically reduce your supply and your LOs wanting to feed. A lot of this is based on the old-fashioned view that breastmilk is nutritionally inadequate in comparison to cows milk and solid foods when it is now known that quite the opposite is true.

It is now recognised that milk feeds should make up the majority of baby's nutritional intake for the first year; not just the first six months and that continuing to BF on demand is totally fine. Also milk should be offered no more than one hour before solids, it is not a completely seperate thing. BF is a food and a drink so if your baby is fine on breastmilk alone and not constipated then there is no need to introduce water. I think you should go back to whatever you were doing before and hopefully your supply will recover; have confidence in yourself and what you were doing. I'd also consider giving that particular clinic and HV a wide berth; there is no obligation to go and they will just be negative.

Sorry, I must didnt see you had replyed. I was busy typing this question lol. I must admit I like the routine element of this, i.e knowing when I will be feeding etc but 1 day I didnt add the milk feed and DD just didnt ask for milk. Her tummy must have been so full of water and food. If I offer boob she drinks everytime. If she milkfeeds too much will she want extra food? The woman has really thrown me out of wack, Is 2 meals a day enough for a 6m old? I dont want her to get fat (for health reasons not vanity) but I dont want her not to thrive as I am not feeding her enough. AAAGGGHHH I though I was doing so well now I am a total doubter....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->