Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I don't know why I didn't make use of this thread when I was having problems!

The first few days are so tough but everyone is completely right. Take the phone off the hook, unplug the doorbell, surrousnd yourself with food and drink, the dvd remote and a stack of films. Forget about housework, forget about cooking just try to enjoy nursing as much as possible whenever babs wants it and your supply will sort itself out to what your baby wants/needs xx

Do you think it could be thrush? This causes nipple blanching and a red raw look to the nipples even if your latch is fine xx

Oh!! It's all making sense now I didn't know thrush could cause blanching. Cos I hve had sore nipples from day one I didn't realise I had thrush, I have had it for a while now and only just realised. I'm going on Monday to try and get tablets cos it's in the ducts. Hopefully it'll be pain free feeding for me soon!

Do you think it could be thrush? This causes nipple blanching and a red raw look to the nipples even if your latch is fine xx

Oh!! It's all making sense now I didn't know thrush could cause blanching. Cos I hve had sore nipples from day one I didn't realise I had thrush, I have had it for a while now and only just realised. I'm going on Monday to try and get tablets cos it's in the ducts. Hopefully it'll be pain free feeding for me soon!

Hope you get it sorted soon! xx

Hi, I'm Sarah, I'm 21 and I have been EBF-ing my 8.5 month old DD, everything has gone pretty well I just worry that I am not producing enough milk to keep up with her demand.. I have done research on a few things to help increase my production... but nothing really seems to work at least not that I have noticed. She gets baby food several times a day as well as her normal nursing, but she still seems to be hungry; she is always reaching for my bosom, cries if she doesn't get them or if she does she starts fussing almost instantly. I switch breasts, she nurses happily for about 15 mins but then she starts fussing again. I'm not sure if it has to do with my production, the fact that she is teething or if it is a combination of both those factors and factors I'm not taking into account. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

From my own experience I'd guess at teething, my LO is always super fussing and demanding when a tooth is about to pop through!! There is also a growth spurt at around 9 months, so hopefully this won't last too long for you :flower:

When Soph had a teething phase she'd be horrific on the breast. She'd latch on, pull off, cry, latch on, cry, wriggle, be extremely fussy and cry some more.

My HV suggested putting a little teething gel/stuff on her gums before feeding and that seemed to help a bit. Now she stopped teething she's fine again with feeding =).

Thank you both very much! I thought that was the biggest cause of our problems but I just wanted to make sure and cover all bases I could possibly think of. Also, I have a couple concerns about co-sleeping... she has slept in bed with us almost since she was born, my hubby and I are trying to get to sleep in her crib (I'm sure it is somewhat selfish reasoning on his side lol) , but she always ends up back in be with us. Is there a way to make the transition easier or would it be best for her to sleep with us until she starts weaning and then try to get her to sleep on her own?

I can't help with the co sleeping I'm afraid! I have never done it as I move around too much in my sleep. Hope you get some help soon :flower:

Thank you both very much! I thought that was the biggest cause of our problems but I just wanted to make sure and cover all bases I could possibly think of. Also, I have a couple concerns about co-sleeping... she has slept in bed with us almost since she was born, my hubby and I are trying to get to sleep in her crib (I'm sure it is somewhat selfish reasoning on his side lol) , but she always ends up back in be with us. Is there a way to make the transition easier or would it be best for her to sleep with us until she starts weaning and then try to get her to sleep on her own?

My baby is only 6 months old, but she still sleeps with us, no :crib: for her! I am going to keep her with us until she weans (about a year old). I know it is a sacrifice, but I am willing to and I hope you consider it as well :) My oldest is almost 18 and I know from experience that babyhood really does not last long and soon you'll be looking back at these days with a tear in your eye ~hug~

Sophie always sleeps in the bed with us the last 2-2.5 hours!
The beginning of the night she'll sleep in her own cot, because she sleeps much much better in her own room (she's a very light sleeper). But around 4/5am she'll wake up and we sleep cuddle until 7am! I think it's bliss =).

I'm sure one day I'll embarras her in front of her friends and she's not so happy with me, so I'm so enjoying this baby stage as much as I can :rofl:.

The beginning of the night she'll sleep in her own cot, because she sleeps much much better in her own room (she's a very light sleeper). But around 4/5am she'll wake up and we sleep cuddle until 7am! I think it's bliss =).

I'm sure one day I'll embarras her in front of her friends and she's not so happy with me, so I'm so enjoying this baby stage as much as I can :rofl:.

Lamer maybe something like this is a good idea? Then you will get time with both of DH & LO. Can you use something familiar in the two places, light blanket or something? I have a light show I started turning on for LO when he goes to sleep. I forgot it tonight somehow and he was looking around turning his head side to side looking for it! I turned it on and he passed out 2 minutes later. Maybe something you already use to make her more comfortable?

Lamer maybe something like this is a good idea? Then you will get time with both of DH & LO. Can you use something familiar in the two places, light blanket or something? I have a light show I started turning on for LO when he goes to sleep. I forgot it tonight somehow and he was looking around turning his head side to side looking for it! I turned it on and he passed out 2 minutes later. Maybe something you already use to make her more comfortable?

Just chipping in - this is exactly what we do and I love these cuddles!

Hi ladies,
My LO was born Sunday and sleeps the vast majority of the time. She only feeds for a few minutes at a time and now that my milk has come in engorgement is a problem I must deal with. I started yesterday with hand expressing milk and today I used my pump for the first time and gave her a bottle. But then I had a horrible breakdown and told myself it's only been 4 days and I need to give her more time. She has lost about 12% of her birth weight but I think she is having improvement as she stays awake a bit better for feeds. What should I be doing with this extra milk? I don't want to pump and save it because it was way too easy for me to give her a bottle the first time and I don't want to give myself an easy out to do it again. My mom is leaving tomorrow and told me that with my brother and I she just took hot showers when she was in pain and dealt with it until her body adjusted the amount of milk she was producing. What would you do in my situation?

I did the same as your mum.
If it gets really bad though you can freeze the milk for a later stage? I'm sure you can keep it for 6 months then!

I was looking at the hospital materials and they said that engorgement will only last 24-48 hours before the level starts to adjust. It also said I can apply warm towels and that should help. I hope I am able to stick with this through the upcoming engorgement for both our sakes without pumping again.

Mom is leaving today and I woke up at 1230 desperate to feed Kristin. We dumped what was left of the bottle so that hopefully I will stop using them as a crutch. It's amazing how 1 stinking bottle feeding has hit me mentally.

Don't feel bad about it!! Sophie has been fed several bottles when younger. Now she's been exclusively breastfed for 2.5 months at least. I just needed a bottle a day sometimes to give me a break or when I wasn't confident with nursing in public yet!

It's not a horrible thing to do, just continue with the breastfeeding now and forget about it!! Enjoy your little girly!! The engorgement won't last too long :). Mine only lasted a few days and after that I had it sometimes when she would sleep at night for a long time (oooh I miss those days :rofl:.)

Hi sherylb! Congrats on your lo!

First, don't feel guilty about the bottle at all! The early days can be really tough!

As for the engorgement, it will get easier. When you express, try only expressing enough to relieve the discomfort as the more you express the more your body will produce leading to more engorgement - it is a vicious cycle.

Yu could start freezing the milk you express - that way it is a bit of effort to defrost then warm through so you are more likely just to stick with feeding lo.

I have heard putting cabbage leaves in your bra can ease the discomfort, but never tried it. Might just be an old wives tale but might be worth a try!

Good luck :flower:

Hi sherylb! Congrats on your lo!

First, don't feel guilty about the bottle at all! The early days can be really tough!

As for the engorgement, it will get easier. When you express, try only expressing enough to relieve the discomfort as the more you express the more your body will produce leading to more engorgement - it is a vicious cycle.

Yu could start freezing the milk you express - that way it is a bit of effort to defrost then warm through so you are more likely just to stick with feeding lo.

I have heard putting cabbage leaves in your bra can ease the discomfort, but never tried it. Might just be an old wives tale but might be worth a try!

Good luck :flower:

I was having the same problem when my DD was born... the engorgement was horrible for the first 3-4 days for me. Thankfully my DD is a little piglet and started nursing for a lot longer. I tried bottles with her but she never really took to them.

I agree with everything Katt said and what the PP and your mom said about hopping in the shower. The hot water is simply miraculous when it comes to relieving the discomfort of engorgement!! I hope this helps you! Good luck and congratulations on your beautiful LO!!

@ DarlingMe, Lauki & BattyNora,

Well, we would give her her own room but the other bedroom in the house does not have a heater (no central air) and it is on the other end of the house. She hasn't really formed any attachments to many toys, blankets, etc. I could try putting her down with a light shirt of mine and my husband's? Her crib is against the wall at the foot of our bed, but whenever we set her down in it, she starts screaming bloody murder. I would be content to let her sleep with us for however long, but my husband is the one really trying to get her to sleep in the crib and I try to back him up but can't do it wholeheartedly. :cry: I have wanted to try a mobile or light show, but the stores around where I live do not have a very good selection and to drive anywhere for a better selection would be at least a 6 hour round trip... And my LO gets very frustrated being in her car seat for that long lol. :brat: Thanks for sharing and the advice!

I gave in this morning after a long struggle feeding her and switched to expressing. She is taking the bottle really well. She is also waking up when she's hungry and going back to sleep when she's full. Much much happier baby and mommy.

I gave in this morning after a long struggle feeding her and switched to expressing. She is taking the bottle really well. She is also waking up when she's hungry and going back to sleep when she's full. Much much happier baby and mommy.

I'm so glad to hear that! Just hope she doesn't get confused....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->