Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I gave in this morning after a long struggle feeding her and switched to expressing. She is taking the bottle really well. She is also waking up when she's hungry and going back to sleep when she's full. Much much happier baby and mommy.

Will you be exclusively expressing, or are you planning on still breastfeeding :)? Both are fine, you need to find something that works for you both. Being stressed out about things is not going to help anyone!

Exclusively expressing seems to be working really well. She is waking on her own every 1.5-3 hours to feed and her last feed (best yet) was 1.5 oz. :) I know it's not as much as the average baby but since she's been eating so little and is barely 6 lbs I feel good about it. Plus she is fully content and obviously full.

She's only 4 days old! 1.5oz is perfectly normal. Her tummy isn't bigger than the size of a marble, I can't see how you would fit much more than the 1.5oz in there! They won't start drinking more until they're older. At 2+months Sophie would only drink 3oz from a bottle if I'd give her one.

Exclusively expressing is a hard job, but it's definately possible! There's a brilliant sticky about it here with lots of advice.

Will you still try to latch your girly sometimes? I did give Sophie some bottles sometimes 2 months ago, but I go so fed up with all the sterilising and washing and dragging stuff with me when going out, I completely cut it out and just started feeding her anywhere. It's just so convenient and easy when it's finally established (after about 6 weeks normally). Obviously don't get upset and worked up if it doesn't work out. Happy Mum = Happy Baby =).

Hi sherylb! Congrats on your lo!

First, don't feel guilty about the bottle at all! The early days can be really tough!

As for the engorgement, it will get easier. When you express, try only expressing enough to relieve the discomfort as the more you express the more your body will produce leading to more engorgement - it is a vicious cycle.

Yu could start freezing the milk you express - that way it is a bit of effort to defrost then warm through so you are more likely just to stick with feeding lo.

I have heard putting cabbage leaves in your bra can ease the discomfort, but never tried it. Might just be an old wives tale but might be worth a try!

Good luck :flower:

I was having the same problem when my DD was born... the engorgement was horrible for the first 3-4 days for me. Thankfully my DD is a little piglet and started nursing for a lot longer. I tried bottles with her but she never really took to them.

I agree with everything Katt said and what the PP and your mom said about hopping in the shower. The hot water is simply miraculous when it comes to relieving the discomfort of engorgement!! I hope this helps you! Good luck and congratulations on your beautiful LO!!

@ DarlingMe, Lauki & BattyNora,

Well, we would give her her own room but the other bedroom in the house does not have a heater (no central air) and it is on the other end of the house. She hasn't really formed any attachments to many toys, blankets, etc. I could try putting her down with a light shirt of mine and my husband's? Her crib is against the wall at the foot of our bed, but whenever we set her down in it, she starts screaming bloody murder. I would be content to let her sleep with us for however long, but my husband is the one really trying to get her to sleep in the crib and I try to back him up but can't do it wholeheartedly. :cry: I have wanted to try a mobile or light show, but the stores around where I live do not have a very good selection and to drive anywhere for a better selection would be at least a 6 hour round trip... And my LO gets very frustrated being in her car seat for that long lol. :brat: Thanks for sharing and the advice!

Shame that your husband is so against it :(. I just told my hubby, if you don't want her to sleep in our bed you can sit up with her for hours on end because she won't settle in her cot at certain moments :rofl:. He doesn't mind now as we all get more and better sleep, so happy us!.

Wouldn't there be a way for you to order a lightshow online?

Hi sherylb! Congrats on your lo!

First, don't feel guilty about the bottle at all! The early days can be really tough!

As for the engorgement, it will get easier. When you express, try only expressing enough to relieve the discomfort as the more you express the more your body will produce leading to more engorgement - it is a vicious cycle.

Yu could start freezing the milk you express - that way it is a bit of effort to defrost then warm through so you are more likely just to stick with feeding lo.

I have heard putting cabbage leaves in your bra can ease the discomfort, but never tried it. Might just be an old wives tale but might be worth a try!

Good luck :flower:

I was having the same problem when my DD was born... the engorgement was horrible for the first 3-4 days for me. Thankfully my DD is a little piglet and started nursing for a lot longer. I tried bottles with her but she never really took to them.

I agree with everything Katt said and what the PP and your mom said about hopping in the shower. The hot water is simply miraculous when it comes to relieving the discomfort of engorgement!! I hope this helps you! Good luck and congratulations on your beautiful LO!!

@ DarlingMe, Lauki & BattyNora,

Well, we would give her her own room but the other bedroom in the house does not have a heater (no central air) and it is on the other end of the house. She hasn't really formed any attachments to many toys, blankets, etc. I could try putting her down with a light shirt of mine and my husband's? Her crib is against the wall at the foot of our bed, but whenever we set her down in it, she starts screaming bloody murder. I would be content to let her sleep with us for however long, but my husband is the one really trying to get her to sleep in the crib and I try to back him up but can't do it wholeheartedly. :cry: I have wanted to try a mobile or light show, but the stores around where I live do not have a very good selection and to drive anywhere for a better selection would be at least a 6 hour round trip... And my LO gets very frustrated being in her car seat for that long lol. :brat: Thanks for sharing and the advice!

Shame that your husband is so against it :(. I just told my hubby, if you don't want her to sleep in our bed you can sit up with her for hours on end because she won't settle in her cot at certain moments :rofl:. He doesn't mind now as we all get more and better sleep, so happy us!.

Wouldn't there be a way for you to order a lightshow online?

Well, he's not so against it as for not wanting her there, it's she's so big now she wants to take up the bed. He has gently been saying for a while that she need to go in her crib because it will help her self soothe and help her be more independent, and in some ways I agree but it hurts me so much to hear her cry like that. There is, I just have not found one that I like lol... there is one that I like but it is very expensive... I try to go to yard/garage sales and thrift shops, but have had no luck there either:shrug:

Have you tried a gentle parenting technique like the 'No Cry Sleep Solution'?

It really helped me settle Sophie in her own cot at night when it's her bedtime.

La Mere this is the one we use: https://www.amazon.com/Homedics-SS-3000-Soundspa-Lullaby-White/dp/B000QTSW64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321604681&sr=8-1 He loves it! And I love the timer, so I can set it and it turns itself off. And the price is great, some of them are so expensive. Bed bath and beyond sells them and so does Buy Buy Baby if there is either by you. They are $20 there, so amazon is a good price too. Not sure if it will help but thought I would mention it!

SherylB I hope you decide to see an LC or go to an LLL meeting when you get more comfortable with LO at home. Expressing is great but there are sooo many benefits from putting LO to the breast. Plus it is so much easier to not have to deal with the pumping, bottles, and carrying BM and a pump with you. It will get easier when your engorgement settles, latching can be hard for them when the breasts are full. Great job for sticking with it! You will find what works for you both!

ETA: I dont think that link is going to work at the top. here it is again... https://www.amazon.com/Homedics-SS-...SW64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321604681&sr=8-1

I am so frustrated. Pumping was getting out so much milk when I started this morning but that's because I was full. I have since realized it's not emptying me and I can't keep up with Kristin's needs without manually expressing. I expressed 2-3 times before I started using my pump and had great luck with it even though it takes longer.

Do you think if I contacted the LLL that they could help me get her sorted out? I tried giving her a boob because she woke up after I started hand expressing and she wouldn't have any of it, just like before. If that doesn't work I need to get a different pump because this one is just not cutting it. It's been getting hardly anything out the last 3 pumps and I haven't even finished hand pumping and have .5 of liquid gold for my baby girl.

I am so frustrated. Pumping was getting out so much milk when I started this morning but that's because I was full. I have since realized it's not emptying me and I can't keep up with Kristin's needs without manually expressing. I expressed 2-3 times before I started using my pump and had great luck with it even though it takes longer.

Do you think if I contacted the LLL that they could help me get her sorted out? I tried giving her a boob because she woke up after I started hand expressing and she wouldn't have any of it, just like before. If that doesn't work I need to get a different pump because this one is just not cutting it. It's been getting hardly anything out the last 3 pumps and I haven't even finished hand pumping and have .5 of liquid gold for my baby girl.

I definately think they will help you. You can go to the website & find your loca LLL leader. She may even meet with you help you if there is not netting in the next few days. Have you tried expressing milk for your LO while she is latching? She may be getting frustrated b/c she is used to getting milk right away. If you help her that might help? I know a LLL member can probably look and show you how to make you both more comfy.

I would definately try and contact someone! They can help with her latch and other problems! The sooner you get her back on the breast (if possible) the easier it's going to be I think.

Babies are so much better at getting milk than a pump is! I hope she latches on soon!

I found a video on expressing by hand and got .8 oz out without including pumped amount. I am going to have to keep expressing by hand until I can get this situation sorted out.

I found a video on expressing by hand and got .8 oz out without including pumped amount. I am going to have to keep expressing by hand until I can get this situation sorted out.

I am no expert but I would think that hand expressing is not going to stimulate your supply. I think that is meant just if you need to releive some pressure or once supply is established to depress a bottle. I think using it consistently will not stimulate you to make enough milk. It may end up with more headaches in a day or 2... Call someone ASAP to help with you latch! Sit down with your OH for a few minutes and watch some videos if you can't get in to see anyone right away. Jack Newman has great latching videos if you look for his. Maybe having that second pair of eyes and hands will help you to get more comfortable! The "laid back nursing" might be anoner thing to look at. Or side lying? Maybe some non traditional positions like that? Not trying To be pushy but you will have a much better experience if you can get her to latch! :hugs:

Sherylb I found this that says hand expressing is better than a pump for the sake of BF longer! Who would have thought. It was odd because it was posted as one offbeat articles on one of my Facebook parenting groups. Just thought I would share it with you.
:flower:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/health/research/26patterns.html?_r=1&src=tp&smid=fb-share

I did read that this morning. Unfortunately as I do expect my supply to grow since it's still day 5 I don't think I could handle that amount of pumping by hand. Kristin had a good checkup this morning and is gaining weight now that she's bottle feeding. I had a long chat with the doctor and got a Medela single electric pump this afternoon. So much better!

Ok, I am beyond frustrated with pumping again. I am looking for videos on how to fix her latch in hopes that I can work on it again when she wakes up next.

Brilliant that she's already gaining weight at 6 days old! Sophie was still under her birthweight by then!

I hope you can fix the latch soon! I know it can be frustrating for her if the milk doesn't come out straight away (like with a bottle). Sophie can get really upset with me sometimes when it doesn't come soon enough. It can be hard work!!

I also recommend just laying down in bed and relaxing with your baby. Bring a bottle of water and some snacks with you and just let her practice lots! Babies are the true masters at bringing up your supply :)!

I really hope it works out for you!!!

Ok, I am beyond frustrated with pumping again. I am looking for videos on how to fix her latch in hopes that I can work on it again when she wakes up next.

These are great if you can view them from where you are. It is a link to Dr Newmans site. https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos So glad the pump is helping!

I just had an awesome feed. It wasn't her latch that was the problem after all. It was that before she was not waking up to feed and she tries and tries to eat her fingers instead of nipple. She woke up on her own and after I got her hands put aside (one tucked under and held on to her other hand against my chest) she sucked like a piggie for 7 minutes on the right and then 6 of the same on the left. :cloud9: Now that she is awake for her feedings this should be a breeze. It was taking 15 minutes for us to wake her before but now that I wait for her to wake up (for bottles too) its a lot easier to get her to eat.

Wow! That's such amazing news!! Are you going to try to breastfeed most feeds now? You can obviously still give her a bottle a day if you pump it (then it shouldn't really affect your supply).

I hope things keep going well for you!!

I think I will try to avoid bottles unless someone else is watching her while I am out. She seems to be draining me quite well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->