Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Thank you all for your encouragement. The past few days have been so confusing and tough on me physically and emotionally. Now that she's back on the boob I am back to feeding on demand. She wakes up when she's hungry, gets a fresh diaper, eats and goes back to sleep.

That sounds great!! Enjoy the cuddlies!

Ok, the feeding is going well but I have another question. She is getting full on one side and not taking the second side. Is this ok if I am careful to alternate what side I feed her on? She's eating every 2 hours pretty consistently. Will this hurt my supply? It will adjust as she eats more on its own right? That's why the cluster feed when they do?

My baby girl is one week old today. :cloud9:

I used to only ever feed on one side when she was little, it's only since 12 weeks (growth spurt) that she takes a full feed from bth.

For a long time I only fed Sophie on one side. Only recently she's been asking for both sides! I'm sure there's no problem with it, if she's satisfied with one side, go with it! :thumbup:!

Good because I figured it's better that she do a better job of draining one than a lousy job at both. Plus it is just easier to not worry about it if she won't take the second one. Sometimes she does.

Just let her lead! If Sophie isn't interested in the second one, then she just drinks from one, if she is she'll drink from two!

That's how Rayven is too... she nurses from one side most of the time, but has started asking for both since she is going through a growth spurt.. She turned 9 months yesterday! Times sure flies doesn't it??

Pretty sure my LO is starting a growth spurt to get back to her birth weight. We were at our friends' house for our weekly bbq and she ate full feeds in the 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock hours. Yikes! It's just after 11 now and I am hoping she will sleep well now that she should be more than full.

Welcome to the joyous world of growth spurts...I swear the first two months felt like constant growth spurts!

Hi Ladies. I posted a few weeks ago re some problems im having.

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/794057-long-can-feed.html

Although my post received some answers which were totally correct I feel the answers were not helpfull and only stressed me out further. If one of you have the time to read the post and see if you can help. I weaned because everyone told me this is what your supposed to do. Now josie only feeds twice a day and for a few sucks on Right boob and maybe 5 min max on left boob. She is 11 month on the 3rd of december surely its to early to wean herself off Milk? I understand the responses I recieved quoted info from websites but Id like some advice from personal experiences. Any help would be great. Im pulling my hair out.

Hi mini1980!

I can see why you're confused, and weaning is one of those issues everyone has strong opinions on so sometimes threads are not as helpful as you might like.

I would say it is early to wean completely from milk. It is the main source of nutrition before 1, but it is not the only source so any solid food can be taken into consideration too. If she has a varied diet and eats well I wouldn't worry but if she is fussy then you might want to put more emphasis on her milk.

Two milk feeds a day may be enough for your lo. I would concentrate on trying to get her to feed a little longer. Make sure you feed in a darkened quiet room so lo doesn't get distracted, and just keep trying. You can't force her to feed though so if it doesn't work don't worry.

It might also be a good idea to introduce milk to drink during the day. This could be formula, expressed or even cows milk (not recommended under one but I know plenty of people who do, and as your lo is pretty much 11 months it might be worth considering). It might just help put your mind at rest that she is getting enough milk.

I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Follow your lo's lead and she will let you know what she needs. Maybe try giving her free access to the breast for a few days while you are with her and see if she increases the length of feeds. But also remember thst she is probably a really efficient feeder now and doesn't need long to get what she needs.

hey ladies, just after some advice on length of feeds, my baby tends to feed only for about fifteen to twenty mins for a feed and then sleeps for 3 hours, she will be 4 weeks on thursday. Her weight gain is good ( i think) her birth weigh was 7lb 12 oz and last thurs she was 9lb 6oz does this length of feeding sound normal? all my others fed for much longer thanks x x x x

hey ladies, just after some advice on length of feeds, my baby tends to feed only for about fifteen to twenty mins for a feed and then sleeps for 3 hours, she will be 4 weeks on thursday. Her weight gain is good ( i think) her birth weigh was 7lb 12 oz and last thurs she was 9lb 6oz does this length of feeding sound normal? all my others fed for much longer thanks x x x x

If she is having wet and dirty nappies and seems content then it sounds ok to me (actually it sounds like heaven compared to most newborn early weeks). Does she have any awake time? If she only eats and sleeps then there might be a reason for her being so drowsy so seek some advice from the dr or HV, but if she has awake and alert time as well it all sounds good.

^^Agree^^

My son never fed for more than 10 minutes at a time - he was just very efficient at getting milk out and didn't mess around. I could hear him guzzling LOL. He did 10-minute feeds until he self-weaned at almost 19 months. My daughter (3 weeks old) is the same - she feeds for 10min at a time as well and is gaining lots and doing well. She drains my boob in 6-8 minutes! Some babies are just super-efficient!

Hi mini1980!

I can see why you're confused, and weaning is one of those issues everyone has strong opinions on so sometimes threads are not as helpful as you might like.

I would say it is early to wean completely from milk. It is the main source of nutrition before 1, but it is not the only source so any solid food can be taken into consideration too. If she has a varied diet and eats well I wouldn't worry but if she is fussy then you might want to put more emphasis on her milk.

Two milk feeds a day may be enough for your lo. I would concentrate on trying to get her to feed a little longer. Make sure you feed in a darkened quiet room so lo doesn't get distracted, and just keep trying. You can't force her to feed though so if it doesn't work don't worry.

It might also be a good idea to introduce milk to drink during the day. This could be formula, expressed or even cows milk (not recommended under one but I know plenty of people who do, and as your lo is pretty much 11 months it might be worth considering). It might just help put your mind at rest that she is getting enough milk.

I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Follow your lo's lead and she will let you know what she needs. Maybe try giving her free access to the breast for a few days while you are with her and see if she increases the length of feeds. But also remember thst she is probably a really efficient feeder now and doesn't need long to get what she needs.

Thanks Kat, sometimes feel like im banging my head against a wall. I get 3 days off a week so will try and squeeze more feeds in then, I dont have anything against formula but I would prefer not to have to go there after feeding for so long. Josie has slept through the night since she was 10 days old, and is very content and happy. She hardly cries at all, literally hasnt cried at all in about 5 days. My mother looks after her and gives her water in a sippy cup throughout the day, she has also given her some cow milk which she drank with no issues. I cant fit any more feeds in throughout my working days but will defo try feeding her longer. The morning feed always lasts longer, and it doesnt matter what boob she feeds on she doesnt come up for air, so I definatly think its either that she is too tired or has to work harder for the right boobs milk so just comes off it. I just really dont want my journey to end yet. :(

To be honest mini it sounds like it is going fine and you have nothing to worry about! You could continue for ages just on two feeds a day if you choose to.

My lo is 15 months now, and was on about 2 feeds a day at 12 months. Now she only has one feed a day, only from one side and it's always the same side (yes, I am a bt lopsided lol) Lo was too impatient as I had a slower let down on the other side so I gave up in the end and just stick to one side. We will keep up thst one small feed as long as she wants it.

Your lo does sound really efficient, so you might not get her to feed any longer. She will let you know if she wants more though. I would maybe get your mum to give her a drink of cows milk once a day, it certainly won't do any harm. And on the days you are off maybe offer an extra feed or two. But really, it sounds like she is fine with what she is getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->