Getting an IUD

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
I'm allergic to all forms of condoms and I don't really want to take a hormonal birth control. My doctor suggested getting an IUD 6 weeks after giving birth, is there anything I should know about getting one? Does it hurt?

-bump-
Still looking for anyone with experience getting an IUD. I'm just a bit nervous because this will be the first time I've had anything like this done.

I had the Mirena. Didnt get pregnant but could never lose the last 10 pounds i was trying so hard until i pulled it out. Had it over a year. If you've had kids it shouldn't hurt. Mine didn't at all. But i would never recommend it. My hair was coming out in clumps so i pulled it out once i realized that was related to the mirena. I know they say its not related but i had a miscarriage after the mirena. I researched and researched and there are tons of miscarriages after iud and then lots of twins which they say isnt from the iud. But overall its your choice what you can put up with

I had the Mirena. Didnt get pregnant but could never lose the last 10 pounds i was trying so hard until i pulled it out. Had it over a year. If you've had kids it shouldn't hurt. Mine didn't at all. But i would never recommend it. My hair was coming out in clumps so i pulled it out once i realized that was related to the mirena. I know they say its not related but i had a miscarriage after the mirena. I researched and researched and there are tons of miscarriages after iud and then lots of twins which they say isnt from the iud. But overall its your choice what you can put up with
Okay that's a bit scary. The doctor made it seem like it was just a device that set up there with no hormones or side effects. Now I'm really nervous to get it done. I don't know what to do because I'm allergic to all forms of condoms and I don't want anything that's hormone-based.

Sorry to scare you. I would never recommend them. I know there are different kinds so idk if you'd get mirena. And I'm sure any doctor would deny what i just said but that's my experience. Are you never having more kids?
I know its not as fun but maybe know when to not have sex and pull out method. Nothing is 100% anyway except abstinence

Sorry to scare you. I would never recommend them. I know there are different kinds so idk if you'd get mirena. And I'm sure any doctor would deny what i just said but that's my experience. Are you never having more kids?
I know its not as fun but maybe know when to not have sex and pull out method. Nothing is 100% anyway except abstinence
I do plan to have more kids, just not for at least 3 years. I was considering the pull out method but like you said it's not really as fun. Considering they had a Mirena device just lying around to show me I'm assuming that's what I would be getting.

I have had the Mirena, which is the hormonal IUD, and that was a nightmare. I got the copper IUD after and it wasn't so bad. I had it for two years and the only issue was that it made my periods longer and heavier and I bled a little between periods. I'd recommend it!

I have had the Mirena, which is the hormonal IUD, and that was a nightmare. I got the copper IUD after and it wasn't so bad. I had it for two years and the only issue was that it made my periods longer and heavier and I bled a little between periods. I'd recommend it!
Oh wow, so it does release hormones?!? I specifically told the doctor I didn't want anything with hormones :(.

The copper IUD does not release hormones. In my opinion, it's the most perfect form of birth control available!

The copper IUD does not release hormones. In my opinion, it's the most perfect form of birth control available!
Okay thank you, I'll definitely ask my doctor about the copper IUD. Is there any difference that you know of other than the fact that doesn't have hormones?

I cannot have the combined pill anymore due to headaches , I’ve had both the Depo shot and a few forms of the mini pill . All didn’t work for me . GP thinks my body doesn’t react well to just one hormone.

After this baby I am going to opt for the copper coil . It’s the only one with no hormones . so thinking this is my only option, well apart from condoms but we all know what they are like

The only difference I know of is one contains hormones (mirena ) the other doesn’t (copper) .

I think they are both inserted and removed in the same way . Mirena can be in place for 5 years, copper for around 10 it may be. Both are easily removed though .

I remember my GP gave me information leaflets on them both before we made the decision to try for a third baby .

The only difference I know of is one contains hormones (mirena ) the other doesn’t (copper) .

I think they are both inserted and removed in the same way . Mirena can be in place for 5 years, copper for around 10 it may be. Both are easily removed though .

I remember my GP gave me information leaflets on them both before we made the decision to try for a third baby .
What do they do to insert it?

I think they put speculum into your vagina like when you have a smear test etc . They then use a special instrument to place the IUD into your uterus. Usually takes around 5 mins.

Like I said I’ve never had it done just going on what my GP told me and friends. I can imagine it just to be a tad uncomfortable.

I have had two Mirena coils - I couldn't face the idea of the copper coil as my periods have been long heavy and debilitating in the past and I couldn't face the idea that this would get worse with the copper coil. I have much more of a natural cycle (breast changes, skin changes etc. on monthly rotation) than I did on pills, and that's because the hormone works locally - i.e. mostly just acts on the ovaries and womb - rather than being in the blood stream but with the advantage of no periods/light periods. Anyway if you don't want hormones and don't mind heavier period then copper coil sounds perfect.

Regarding insertion - well it's not pleasant. It can cause your blood pressure to drop, making you feel sick and faint and that's worse for me than any pain/discomfort BUT there is a nurse up near your head at all times keeping an eye on you, making sure you're OK. Some people don't find it too bad though, I'm just prone to faint feelings. Afterwards it just feels like mild period cramps for one or two days. The main irritation is that, because it can make you ill, you aren't allowed to have your child with you (unless there is someone else there looking after it) because you might not be safe to be there main carer immediately after the procedure.

That sounded scary. Ive had two babies and when she put mine in i barely felt anything. She also did it while i was on my period if i remember correctly so it was already open a bit for easy going in. No pain at all.

It really does sound scary :(. I have a sensitive nervous system, so I'm very sensitive to pain. I'm also going to be breastfeeding my newest little baby, so I don't know how it would work having someone else watch him. I do have heavy periods, even when my cycle went from 35 days to 28 days.

Now I just don't know what to do! Can the mini pill that's progesterone only cause you to gain weight?

Didn't want to scare people. For me it IS a bit scary, but 10mins of feeling rubbish for 5 years of no period pain and reliable contraception was a winner! I know I'm in safe hands when I'm with the doctor and nurse. I was breastfeeding my LO with my first coil and so left her with family. I left expressed milk but she didn't need it as I was only gone for an hour in total including travel time. There's also usually nothing to stop family coming with you and taking care of baby but this allows you to feed right up to the procedure just incase they are running late or anything.

I have copper IUD. The copper ions make a hostile environment and essentially kill the sperm. For the string sperm that get through, even if an egg were to get fertilised it be unlikely to implant into the lining due to the T shape of the device. Ectopic pregnancy can happen, but the likelihood of this is pretty much the same for women with or without contraception.
10min to insert. My LO was strapped in pram in same room.
Try it. You can always have it removed if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->