Getting Fit Before Baby

So true Cupcake. Everyone is different and you have to find the way that's easiest for you because then you are more likely to stick to it.

And meal planning and prep is definetly half the battle. I hate cooking so that one is hard for me. So I've had to find easier items that work that don't require much thought or cooking. I eat a lot of salads now but it works for me. I do get bored so I have to mix up what I put on them and then my evening meal some.

Good luck this week ladies!!

Bronte - Thanks! We can kinda turn it into a sort of experiment (for lack of a better word) if you like? First, put as much food as you think it's supposed to be on your plate (or in a scoop, or however it's served), and then see how it measures up to the actual cups. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Then at the end of the week, you can see how well your estimates compared to the cups. Whether anything was over or under, that sort of thing. :)

Cupcake - What are some of your go-to meals that you use for meal planning? Is there any one recipe you like to use often that is a good balance between being healthy and easy to prepare? I know I hate getting into a meal rut, and if you have a recipe I haven't used before, I might have to snag it from you! :haha:

ETA -- Here is a good article on the benefits of keeping a food journal: https://summertomato.com/7-reasons-keeping-a-food-journal-is-better-than-counting-calories/

The bullet points in the article are:
1. Mindfulness, not calories, is the key
2. Calorie data can be inaccurate
3. Calorie needs change daily, and with body weight
4. Calorie limits encourage the “what-the-hell effect”
5. Counting calories encourages “nutritionism”
6. Food journaling helps you identify habits <--- this is the biggest one, I think. You can see the days you're over-eating and a journal helps identify WHY it happens. Once you recognize the triggers, you can learn how to avoid them.
7. Counting calories feels neurotic

Another article, https://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/11/part-1-7-reasons-to-keep-a-food-journal/ , gives further reasons:

4) Identify reasons for binge eating
5) Provides a hard, objective record of our habits

And WebMD recommends recording time of day your meal was and the portion size, in addition to the level of hunger you felt at that time. This helps you learn to tailor your meals to your personal level of hunger, and change things like the amount of protein or fiber you eat to help you feel full longer. If you notice that you're always hungry immediately after lunch, for example, you can make a change.

Remember, ladies - the reason I challenged us all to keep a journal for a week isn't because there's something wrong with what you're already doing. It's because last week, almost every one of us said we didn't do well with eating for one reason or another, AND because keeping a food journal isn't just for counting calories and portions.

It's only 7 days for this challenge, just to see if journaling helps. If you don't care for it, the end of the week can be the end of your journaling. If you like it, you can stick with it!

Hey gals!

I weighed in today at 382lbs! That's about 4lbs down. I don't know how it happened other than I have been eating a little less... I have a lot of issues with portions so I'm in IRYM! I'm going to measure all my portions this week. I won't do calorie counting because we make a LOT of homemade foods and that's a lot of guessing on how many calories each item is. Like I said, I'll measure portions!

Good luck this week! :)

My new go to recipe is a twist on a 21 day fix recipe! I call it a breakfast bow lol

1 cup wild & brown rice
1/4 cup of turkey sausage crumbles
1/2 of an avocado chopped
1 green onion chopped
a whole tomato chopped
2 eggs over medium, cooked with PAM or coconut oil
1 tbsp of sour cream(light or fat free if I have it)

layer in a bowl as listed then mix it all up!
It really is yummy & around 500-600 calories pending the brand of rice & sour cream

I try to keep my calories around 500-600 for breakfast, since it keeps me full for the majority of the day, then a light lunch/snack & meat & low carb veggies for supper! My go to snack is a banana & a tbsp of natural JIF peanut butter lol.....I'll post a few more tried & true recipes that we like....I'm making a big pot of veggie soup today. Its 1185 cals for the WHOLE pot, so I love it! No crackers for me though, most of the time I just dump in a big glob of mustard! Don't judge, lol It's amazing in veggie soup!

Baked Boneless Buffalo Bites

INGREDIENTS

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ cup flour
1 egg
1 tbsp butter, melted (I use Smart Balance)
¾ cup Frank&#8217;s Red Hot Sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
poultry seasoning, to taste

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400.
On a plate, crack the egg and whisk. In another plate, add the flour and season with garlic powder, cayenne, and salt.
Season the chicken pieces with poultry seasoning, and then dip the chicken in the egg to coat. Next, dredge the chicken in the flour and place coated chicken pieces on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
Spray the chicken with cooking spray to ensure it browns when baking. Bake the chicken pieces for 10-15 minutes and then flip and cook the other side for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Stir the melted butter and hot sauce together in a bowl. Dip the baked chicken in the hot sauce mixture until fully coated.

Crispy sweet potato wedges

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled (or unpeeled, if you like skin) and cut into wedges
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil (shiny side up); place baking rack onto prepared baking sheet; set aside.
Peel the sweet potatoes (if preferred) and cut off the pointy ends. Slice the sweet potatoes in half (lengthwise), then cut each piece into wedges.
Place the sweet potato wedges in a large bowl, then add in the olive oil, salt, sugar, seasoning, and black pepper. Mix well, making sure each wedge is coated with oil and spices.
Arrange the sweet potato wedges in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn on the broiler and bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until they're well browned and crispy. Keep an eye here - it's easy to burn when the broiler is on!
Cool wedges on pan for 5 minutes, then serve at once!

Shrimp Boil Packets

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (12.8-ounce) package smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
2 ears corn, each cut crosswise into 4 pieces
1 pound baby red potatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Instructions

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill over high heat.
Cut four sheets of foil, about 12-inches long. Divide shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes into 4 equal portions and add to the center of each foil in a single layer.
Fold up all 4 sides of each foil packet. Add olive oil, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste; gently toss to combine. Fold the sides of the foil over the shrimp, covering completely and sealing the packets closed.
Place foil packets on the grill and cook until just cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.*
Served immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.

Notes

*This can also be baked for 15-17 minutes at 425 degrees F.

No Bake Energy Bites

These delicious little no bake energy bites are the perfect healthy snack!

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 10 mins
Ingredients:

1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1" in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 20-25 balls.

These are yummy!

I agree meal planning is super important! I made 5 smoothies for the freezer, cooked sweet potato for lunch for a week, and made dinners for every day this week for me and dh. It all goes in the fridge and I just defrost. So my portion sizes are all pre-planned and ready frozen! It makes a huge difference for me & my lifestyle.
I can keep a food journal but I already know exactly what's going to be in it every day this week :) according to my strict plan.

Good job on the weight loss Urs!! Keep it up x

Urs - Awesome, good job on that loss!

Cupcake - Thanks for sharing so many recipes! I just glanced over them this morning, but I'll have to take a better look later today when I have the chance.

AFM -

Logging all my food, hunger levels and times yesterday only took a few minutes. I noticed how hungry a workout makes me, even a very short one, and even if I follow it up with a high fiber, high protein snack. Bummer!

Here's the first page of my journal, just so you gals can see. :)

Nothing complicated, and I make note of how my hunger levels are at multiple points throughout the day. Today I'm going to see if adding a small snack before my workout and then one after helps me fight off those hunger pangs!

Attachments

• food-journal.jpg
    food-journal.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 5
Do you mean actual sweet potatoes versus yams? I have had those. They seem to be a lot tougher and take forever to cook! If those aren't the ones you mean, then no, I haven't had them. Haha

FYI - today I ate a small 100cal snack immediately before and then immediately after my workout and I'm doing a lot better in terms of managing hunger. Score! Yesterday when I ate both items after the workout, I was STARVING all day.

These are called white sweet potatoes and they're actually white like a regular potatoe. They're amazing! I've been roasting them with parsley and garlic. It's so delicious. The regular sweet potatoes are just too sweet for me.

Ooohh yummy Green no I haven't! We just have sweet potato (purple skin, white inside) and yellow ones; both are sweet. I eat them with salt &olive oil or just plain if I'm on the run and just love them. (only a palm sized piece though and always before 3 pm).
Definitely going to try roasting them with herbs even though they are sweet (I like sweet and salty combos).

Good job IRYM I'm glad to see you've got your groove back! I find eating protein after a workout, like whey powder or nuts, help me with hunger pangs. Black coffee before workouts helps burn fat.

Doing well over here- I'm up to at least 25min HIIT training daily so keeping my protein & healthy fat & leafy green intake high and carb intake very low. Well I might as well train as hard as I can this month because I definitely won't be able to do it with this intensity during IVF stims etc. I will probably just be walking/doing weightless lunges etc during those 4 weeks. Maybe light kettlebells. ... will see what dr says!

Oh and eating eggs or some other healthy protein/fat combo at least 30 min before a workout really helps if I do my workout after say, 9/10am.

I'm pooped! Walk a mile, in the rain this morning, then had a few errands in town followed by a trip to pick up a grant for our fire dept, which was 90 mins each way! Of course I hit up a few antique shops & thrift stores too! Ate a light lunch & Back home to work in the yard, hitting the shower then the couch lol not even hungry now.....just tired

Cupcake, thanks so much for all the recipes. I definitely need to try some. Cooking is my biggest challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->