Girlie 'bits' What do you call them?

Chrissie84

Reaction score
So just as the title says... What name do you teach your children for a vagina?

OH and I can't decide!!

We call them "girlie bits". Very original, I know. Avery calls them curly bits. lol

We say girly bits. It is a vulva anyway if you are referring to the external genitalia, not vagina ;)

It's a minnie here! Makes me snigger at minnie mouse though :haha:

Vagina or sometimes 'front bottom'.

I know vagina isn't 'anatomically correct' but it's a very common/standard term used to describe the area as a whole, so I don't see it as ambiguous or incorrect either. If a young girl referred to her 'vagina' I'd be surprised if someone assumed she must be talking about the inside part, I'm sure most people would know she could mean anything in that area, including labia etc.

Vulva. I don't really understand why some people want to use the correct term and yet use an incorrect one.

Vagina or sometimes 'front bottom'.

I know vagina isn't 'anatomically correct' but it's a very common/standard term used to describe the area as a whole, so I don't see it as ambiguous or incorrect either. If a young girl referred to her 'vagina' I'd be surprised if someone assumed she must be talking about the inside part, I'm sure most people would know she could mean anything in that area, including labia etc.

It's a common/standard term there, but not in the US. I have to admit I've never heard of anyone using "vagina" to refer to the whole area until I got on BnB. It sounds so weird to me. We used "front bottom" growing up, and I hate that.

I'm thinking "girlie bits" or something, it hasn't really come up yet DS isn't talking yet and we don't talk about to him just randomly! We call it a bajingo between DH and I....who knows he might pick that up?

Vulva. I don't really understand why some people want to use the correct term and yet use an incorrect one.

I think probably just because vagina is the more common term. I've heard very few people saying vulva. Although I know vulva is 'correct' I think vagina is so much more popular that it might even actually be better understood. Whichever- vulva/vagina, I think it's widely accepted what you're actually referring to, whether it's what is in the textbook or not.

eta maybe not 'more' common term, but definitely equally common. (In uk)

We call body parts what they are, therefore Violet knows vulva and vagina hasn't come up yet.

Must be just plain old ignorance I guess.

I have always understood the word as a general reference to the whole area. I don't feel the need to break down everything into individual parts for my toddler. "Okay, now let's wash your perineum, now your anus." :shrug:

Agree. We use the 'wrong' or common words for lots of body parts. Why does it only bother people when it is to do with genitals? I'm sure that tummy, bottom and boobs are usually given the OK with most people. Do you say girl, or adolescent female homo sapiens etc...?

To answer the original question we say fanny as it's what I said as a child and it is easy for a toddler to say.

To answer the original question we say fanny as it's what I said as a child and it is easy for a toddler to say.

I'm assuming you don't refer to those little bags you can wear around your waist as a fanny pack. :haha:

Vagina. It's used as sort of an all-encompassing term here, too. Vulva sounds very technical to me and while I much prefer that to something cutesy, I just think "vagina" sounds the most normal.

I'm assuming you don't refer to those little bags you can wear around your waist as a fanny pack. :haha:

He he no, I think that's an American terminology? They are called a bum bag here.

Just bottom right now. Will expand into 'front bum' and bottom for the back when she's older. She'll know real names but doubt we'll use them in everyday conversation (I.e wiping / washing) just if something comes up that's sore/problem area etc.

Mine says front bum but shes 8 and she knows its called Vagina but doesn't always use it. She has also said minni too.

we just call them bits..
dont know why or how it started though. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->