Girlie 'bits' What do you call them?

Interesting thread.
I'm not sure what kinds of situations you need to be in to use the words for genitalia with your toddler. Not asking to attack/judge anyone, just curious! I don't remember my parents using any particular word for my 'bits/vagina/vulva' growing up, I don't think we ever talked about it. lol

In our case just in the bath really. Or when potty training. It's not like we sit around the dinner table discussing our vaginas :haha:. x
Well when changing nappies or in the bath.

For the boys it's a "Tiddle," their choice of words. Joshua knows the 'real' name but still calls it a tiddle.

I just call mine 'bits' to the boys. I have a few other colourful names whilst talking to friends. I don't think I have ever referred to it as a vagina/vulva.

I got Sophie to say vulva today and it came out as volvo, so it sounds like she has a car between her legs!

Vulva. I don't really understand why some people want to use the correct term and yet use an incorrect one.
Must be just plain old ignorance I guess.

I have always understood the word as a general reference to the whole area. I don't feel the need to break down everything into individual parts for my toddler. "Okay, now let's wash your perineum, now your anus." :shrug:

Exactly this. I want them to know what it is so we call it a vagina but i don't feel the need to break down every inch of skin down there just yet.

well imo calling it vaginais like calling it perineum. totally different area. what you see is vulva, besides it sounds much better :haha:

Perhaps there's a difference in culture, because even to this day if someone said "my vagina is itchy," I wouldn't necessarily assume they meant their actual vagina, I'd assume they meant somewhere in the general area (including vulva). It's still a heck of a lot more clear than "fairy" or "flower".

And I totally disagree that vulva sounds better.

Perhaps there's a difference in culture, because even to this day if someone said "my vagina is itchy," I wouldn't necessarily assume they meant their actual vagina, I'd assume they meant somewhere in the general area (including vulva). It's still a heck of a lot more clear than "fairy" or "flower".

And I totally disagree that vulva sounds better.

I agree, it must be a regional thing. In real life, I have never even heard anyone say vulva. I know what a vagina is in a medical sense, but I also know that round here (maybe in whole of uk, not sure) in popular vocabulary it often just means the whole thing.

I have never heard of a vulva until reading it on this forum. The outside parts I knew to be the labia and pubic mound.

I have never heard of a vulva until reading it on this forum. The outside parts I knew to be the labia and pubic mound.

They're in there...

The vulva has many major and minor anatomical structures, including the labia majora, mons pubis, labia minora, clitoris, bulb of vestibule, vulval vestibule, greater and lesser vestibular glands, external urethral orifice and the opening of the vagina (introitus).

...I didn't know there was THAT much stuff down there, most I know but a couple are new to me...

They're in there...

The vulva has many major and minor anatomical structures, including the labia majora, mons pubis, labia minora, clitoris, bulb of vestibule, vulval vestibule, greater and lesser vestibular glands, external urethral orifice and the opening of the vagina (introitus).

...I didn't know there was THAT much stuff down there, most I know but a couple are new to me...

Seriously can you imagine explaining that all to a toddler? :haha:

They're in there...

Seriously can you imagine explaining that all to a toddler? :haha:

I don't even want to explain to myself....we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it I guess. DS has not asked about mommy's bits, and he's a boy so...he will probably be older when he finds out. If we have a girl though....

I have a little boy so haven't had to cross that bridge yet. I do dislike the word vulva though and it's not very used over here, I think much more people are familiar with vagina rather than vulva, it has become to mean the same and if you were to go to the doctor and speak of your vagina, then they would also think of the whole 'vulva ' area too.

I don't know about other parents but I guess I've always worried about them just repeating what you say, so they walk about yelling 'PENIS!!' or 'VAGINA!!' at the top of their lungs.

But I guess that's just what kids do and body parts are natural and it shouldn't be embarrasing when they say it in public...

I figure it's embarrassing, but part of parenthood.

We use vulva and penis. In French vagina sounds more err intimate and sexual than vulva, which is just the outside parts, as it should be *shrug*. Not saying people run around yelling vulva, just that its what parents use at the pool, during diaper changes etc. Obviously it's a private body part but it doesn't sound dirty or wrong.

I don't even know what its called in Finnish, never had to say it to anyone yet.

Edit: Just looked it up - häpy apparently, but vulva is also used and cunnus which just makes me think of cunnilingus so I'm not going to use that word! But Häpy sounds much nicer to me than vulva, might start using that.

aww that does sound quite nice!

We call it a minky. Not sure how that started though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->