Giving babies water

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this in here so I could get as much advice as poss. I have just spent the weekend with my brother and SIL who have a 3week old daughter, SIL is currently breast feeding but with the heat of saturday it was suggested that they gave L/O a drop of water but they were adamant they were told not to do this as she is breast fed. Any one know how true this would be as I would have thought a drop of cold boiled water would be fine. Also what are peoples feelings on using breast as a soother and what effect this could possibly have on the future behaviour of a child?

Can't see there would be but please no arguments

Nope...no water needed when baby is breastfed....whether it's hot or not coz the body adjusts to baby's needs and if they just wanna drink....that's what they will get. At the beginning of a feed it's very watery and gets thicker and creamier as the feed goes on...unlike formula which is just the same all the way through.

I have done training on this so rest assured, I'm giving you the correct advice babe:hugs:

You're not supposed to give babys anything other than milk when they're that small (until they hit the 6 month mark).

+ really, if she was sheltered from the sun she shouldn't get too hot.

I'm not going to purposely use my breasts to soothe my baby but I guess they automatically do anyway.

oops forgot to say also....if breastfeeding is interrupted by giving water/formula etc then this can interrupt the Mother's milk production and also be giving the baby empty calories too.

Dummies are a personal thing but it's usually advised not to give breastfed babies dummies in particular at the beginning as this can also have an adverse effect on Mummy's milk supply. Baby suckling, even for comfort really helps to establish breastfeeding:happydance:

I thought breastfed babies don't need water.

I know years ago they used to give you a small bottle of water for baby (when my mum had us). Probably just a very old fasioned thing to do. It was suggested as L/O was very restless and hot it was way into the 20's here, they did over dress her in my opinion Dress, vest, tights and cardigan. When she was out and about she had a blanket and cosy toes on too.

They don't need water. I let Kaya use my breasts as a soother, I think that it'd be mad not to when it is the quickest and easiest way to settle her. The way I see it is that she'd just suck her thumb anyway, at least the breast doesn't damage her teeth.

no water needed if breast fed, could do more harm than good

Yup I read that the milk adjusts to the temperature. so if it is warm the milk will be more watery. Think it was in a boots parenting mag. Didn't know that.

Thought I'd post this in here so I could get as much advice as poss. I have just spent the weekend with my brother and SIL who have a 3week old daughter, SIL is currently breast feeding but with the heat of saturday it was suggested that they gave L/O a drop of water but they were adamant they were told not to do this as she is breast fed. Any one know how true this would be as I would have thought a drop of cold boiled water would be fine. Also what are peoples feelings on using breast as a soother and what effect this could possibly have on the future behaviour of a child?

Can't see there would be but please no arguments

Breastfed babies do not need water...they get enough from breast milk :)

I know years ago they used to give you a small bottle of water for baby (when my mum had us). Probably just a very old fasioned thing to do. It was suggested as L/O was very restless and hot it was way into the 20's here, they did over dress her in my opinion Dress, vest, tights and cardigan. When she was out and about she had a blanket and cosy toes on too.

My mum used to give me fennel tea wtf :rofl:

Jack used to love Hipp Fennel tea :)

My nan told me back in the day in Jamaica, people used to put a drop of rum in babies milk if they wouldn't sleep. I bet that knocked them out!

I reckon pure breast milk is all they need for the first 6 months.

My nan told me back in the day in Jamaica, people used to put a drop of rum in babies milk if they wouldn't sleep. I bet that knocked them out!

I reckon pure breast milk is all they need for the first 6 months.

Ya that's really old fashioned. My gran used to dip our dummy in whiskey when we were teething :dohh:

I've heard all sorts such as rum to sleep and whisky for teething, honey to help sooth them. I wonder how the next generations who don't get these old remedies will be, maybe a race of super humans or a race of not so super humans who are allergic to vitamins, minerals and the slightest bit of dust. We'll all be living in bubbles in 100 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->