Giving kids toy guns / dollies and prams.

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Just wondering your thoughts on this?? Do you think it has any effect on kids? I would never give a child of mine a toy gun, I just don't like it. But what about giving little girls a toy pram and doll to push along? Do you think this will have any affect? Not necessarily a bad one, but any affect?? :flower:

i really don't like the idea of toy guns that look "real" and i have NEVER understood people wanting to play with prams etc... (its not fun when ure older lol) but kids obviously like it.. one thing i don't agree with is when people tell me my LO cant have a doll house or a pram as he is a boy..?! how backwards is that, or a little girl cant have a car if she wants one.. so silly.. my friend actually told me the ova week that it was "sick" that i was "FORCING" my little boy to be ... wait for it... GAY .. because i put pink socks on him.. and by letting him play with a doll i was giving him a "complex" shes an odd one she is lmao then i was getting LO dressed and i said to him well its pink socks or dirty socks (my machine was broke) and she said.. "we'd rather wear the dirty ones wouldn't we B" (to her son who is 9 months lol) i just looked at her :/ haha x

I think all children (boys and girls) should be given dolls, they are great for role play which is an important part of learning.

I dont know tbh. Ive got 3 girls and my first played with dolls and prams but it hasnt made her want to run out and start having babies lol. She 14 and would rather have a new pair of converse boots than a pretty dress or makeup. She likes make up but only eyeliner and mascara. Shes more a skater girl than a girly girl.

My 4 year old has never played with dolls, ive bought her them and prams but she never taken and interest. She would rather play with dinosaurs or horses!

15 month old loves dolls and teddies so i buy her them :shrug:

So as i dont have boys i dont know if i would buy them guns and stuff. I suppose i would buy them things like toy soldiers and that thing they all like ben 10? but not something that looks like a real gun.

Working as a nursery nurse in the past ive seen boys make guns out of everything! toast, lego, jigsaw pieces, even cream crackers!!

i dont care either way. but one or two guns is enough. and i wouldnt show him how to use it or what its meant to be for. for me its just another hunk of plastic,metal for him to play with.
and he has a doll too and a pram. practising for when his brother gets here.

Personally I dont think that it has an effect but it doesnt look really good when your child is running around going bang bang with a gun! As for buggies, I werent in school or a teen when I had my child not there is anything wrong with being a teenage mother.

Working as a nursery nurse in the past ive seen boys make guns out of everything! toast, lego, jigsaw pieces, even cream crackers!!

A gun out of cream crackers? That I would like to see lol.

My 3 girls all had dollies and prams. The 2 older ones grew out of them very quickly but the youngest still loves them and she's nearly 11 :wacko: I think it's in their nature rather than nurture. My youngest is very caring towards those more vulnerable and baby mad whereas the older two have other interests.
I bought water guns for them. I wouldn't buy guns as I don't like noisy toys lol but now I have a son I dunno whether I will get him one in the future. He's more likely to get tractors and diggers as that is what OH is into job-wise.
My nephew loved playing with a pushchair and dressing up in tutus. My sis always said she's shaping a future daddy :thumbup: (maybe not the tutu bit though lol)

my cousin must have about 50 toy guns and swords, he gets one everywhere they go and i think its too much,
i dont mind stuff like water guns, buzz lightyear guns or whatever but i wouldnt wanna give them real lookin ones!

A gun out of cream crackers? That I would like to see lol.

My 3 girls all had dollies and prams. The 2 older ones grew out of them very quickly but the youngest still loves them and she's nearly 11 :wacko: I think it's in their nature rather than nurture. My youngest is very caring towards those more vulnerable and baby mad whereas the older two have other interests.
I bought water guns for them. I wouldn't buy guns as I don't like noisy toys lol but now I have a son I dunno whether I will get him one in the future. He's more likely to get tractors and diggers as that is what OH is into job-wise.
My nephew loved playing with a pushchair and dressing up in tutus. My sis always said she's shaping a future daddy :thumbup: (maybe not the tutu bit though lol)

Yep, they would bite the corner of and nibble it down to make it like a letter L upside down and use it as a gun! Same with the toast lol

I've never let my son have toy guns, he had lego, cars, dolls, trains, a baby in a pushcair but no guns. He wasnt bothered.

plastic guns and dolls don't worry me. The shooting games on Playstation and X Box do!

Makes no odds

If a child gonna grow up wanting to carry guns, they'll carry guns

My brother hasnt turned toward crime and he had LOADS of guns as a kid

My boys have had guns too

Another pc load of crap

I cant see ever giving my little girl a gun but then I don't see anything wrong with it as I had them as a kid and never made me want to carry on or use violence as an child or an adult.
I would though much rather see my little girl playing will dolls, teddys, cars ect rather than running around pretending to shoot her friends:dohh:

Think boys and girls should have access to dolls. Young children learn lots and make sense of their world through role playing and they use dolls as a prop in that. Have no issue with prams/ dolls as long as they are not only 'allowed' for girls.

I don't like gun play. Not pc nonsense but just makes me uncomfortable. All schools I have worked in discourage gun play but as someone said, kids will make guns out of anything! It tends to be a stage that most grow out of.

too am more concerned about kids who have access to inappropriate video games/ videos. It is horrifying how many young children have seen 15/18 films and have played shooting games with similar age warnings.

Im not PC , at all. Kids will be kids , wana make gun noises fair enough. Carly plays shooting games on the xbox and the wii . NO there not killing games but shooting targets , and lego games where you shoot and the lego people break.

Same as pushchairs and babies , we have tons , infact have a baby born nursery in Carlys room :lol: Has no affect , they will all still do it anyway , as someone said above kids find anything and make it into a gun etc. Carly does out of mega blocks :lol:

Makes no odds

If a child gonna grow up wanting to carry guns, they'll carry guns

My brother hasnt turned toward crime and he had LOADS of guns as a kid

My boys have had guns too

Another pc load of crap

i really would like to think that's not directed at me? I don't think that these toys have a negative affect on kids, I certainly don't think giving a kid a toy gun will turn him into a serial killer or having a dolly will mean a little girl will become pregnant at 13. I was just interested in what people think for gods sake.

I wouldn't let my kids play with toy guns as I said in my op, I just don't like it.

I let my boy play with toy guns. Honestly, boys will make guns out of anything if they don't have one. Lego works, the thumb and finger works, etc. Seriously boys have played with guns for generations and I think it takes the curiousity out of it all if they are allowed.

Im not PC , at all. Kids will be kids , wana make gun noises fair enough. Carly plays shooting games on the xbox and the wii . NO there not killing games but shooting targets , and lego games where you shoot and the lego people break.

Same as pushchairs and babies , we have tons , infact have a baby born nursery in Carlys room :lol: Has no affect , they will all still do it anyway , as someone said above kids find anything and make it into a gun etc. Carly does out of mega blocks :lol:

I've no problem with target shooting either:thumbup:

i really would like to think that's not directed at me? I don't think that these toys have a negative affect on kids, I certainly don't think giving a kid a toy gun will turn him into a serial killer or having a dolly will mean a little girl will become pregnant at 13. I was just interested in what people think for gods sake.

I wouldn't let my kids play with toy guns as I said in my op, I just don't like it.

Well you do like to start these threads that in my opinion, feel like you may have too much time on your hands or you just like to stir opinion

;)

Well you do like to start these threads that in my opinion, feel like you may have too much time on your hands or you just like to stir opinion

;)

Everyone starts a thread at some point where people are going to have different views its whether you decide to post or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->