Glucose test...

jinxii

Reaction score
This might get interesting.. I failed the one hour 50 gram glucose test and it made me incredibly ill. Now they want me to drink 100 grams of glucose for a three hour test. That is an insane quantity of corn syrup and artificial dyes to be putting in my body. I asked the nurse about alternatives and she was unable to offer any. So now I have contacted my doctor to ask about doing self monitoring for a week and tracking all my numbers for her to review. I found some information online that other doctors/midwives are accepting that as an alternative. It just doesn't seem right that they wouldn't have a more natural option (honey, fruit juice, etc) for testing! Especially after I just finished their early pregnancy class that said to avoid added sugars whenever possible! I am high risk for gestational diabetes and understand that getting a diagnosis is important, but I am keeping my body as healthy as possible for myself and my child. Flooding it with sugar seems like a terrible idea.

I totally agree!!!!! I what they give you is horrible for someone with GD! How is that trying to help?! How many weeks are you?

If I fail the one hour test, I will be asking them the same thing instead of the 3 hour. I get so sick with these drinks. I am at risk for it as I had it with my other two (although I didn't fail it until 36 weeks with my second and it was probably because they kept testing me with that stupid drink continuously until I failed). I was telling my dh exactly what you said. I really don't get how this particular way of testing could possibly be good especially for someone prone to high blood sugar. Ugh.

Well, I heard back from my doctor and she is going to let me do the home blood monitoring! Yay! A win for crunchy granola moms...lol. I'm not really, but I do avoid added sugar, dyes, etc. Ladies, you have a choice!!! Just keep asking until someone is willing to work with you on this. I will be telling every pregnant woman I know about being able to do an alternative. I would never have taken that first test drink if I had any idea what was in it. It wasn't until I got home and read up on it that I realized. The one I had to drink even had bromated soybean oil in it!! (Google it... it's bad)

In answer to your question Naturalmommi, I am currently about 10.5 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->