Glucose Tolerance Test

sarah2211

Reaction score
So I did my GTT this morning. I'm 17 weeks. I had fasted for 12 hours, arrived at 7.30am. Drunk the liquid and by 8.10am I was vomiting my guts out and almost fainted. So the test was cancelled.

My midwife wants me to do three GTT throughout my pregnancy because I have PCOS and she said that puts me at an increased risk of gestational diabetes. My HbA1c was really good at 8 weeks, I'm not overweight, no family history of diabetes and I don't have insulin resistance.

I don't think I can go through another one of these, let alone 3 more.

I've read some women are allowed to drink a can of sprite, eat jelly beans or eat a big breakfast instead. As far as I know, I'm not allowed to do those things.

Anyone have any advice? Could I just flat out refuse to do another one? Is there any other way they can check for GD? Or will I be less likely to have this reaction if I hold off a few weeks?

You have a right to refuse any treatment or medicine you don't agree with. They cannot force you to do anything. I would talk to your gyn about your reactions and what can be done, and make a decision from there about continuing. If the risk is there, I would try hard to keep up on it. If not, weigh the benefit to risk. Could be you just had a bad reactionvthat day Do who knows try it one more time?

Gosh, some people have such a rough time with the GTT :( I feel really lucky to have had very few side effects from it. I had mine much later though, at 31 weeks pregnant. Not sure if that makes a difference..

You def have the right to refuse to do the test. You don't technically have to do anything in pregnancy, you can refuse the scans etc. I'd speak to your midwife and explain your pretty bad reaction to the drink. There's no point you keeping trying to do the test if you are just going to be ill and they can't continue anyway! They may be able to allow you to just drink a big bottle of Coke or something given your reaction. But if there is no other option, you can refuse. The only danger really is that if you do have gestational diabetes, there are risks to you and baby. Gestational diabetes can affect anyone, there doesn't have to be a family history etc.

I did a big carbo load the night before mine, not sure if that helped. Ate a huge portion of pasta at 7pm and then two giant hot cross buns and a chocolate bar at 9.45pm! It certainly helped me not feel hungry in the morning and I didn't find the fast that bad!

Do you still have ms? Or was this a one off? When I had to have it early in pregnancy they gave me anti sickness meds. That being said it's more usual to be tested around the 25 week mark so yours is early. I think you could ask for another HB1ac and if that is still fine then be retested around the usual time when you perhaps will be less likely to have a reaction? I've just booked mine for 14 weeks and I'm hoping I don't throw up the lucozade! But I've had GD twice already so I'm taking a cautious approach.

Ugh, sorry that sounds awful! You can ask to eat jelly beans. I think it's something like 21 is the sugar equivalent. I was going to ask to do this too instead of the drink.

Sonny, thank you for your reply. It wasn't fun at all. I'm thinking of declining the test, at least at this stage. The midwife wants me to do 3 throughout my pregnancy but I'm going to say I just want to do one (if any). I'm not sure if I would have done much better with coke. The liquid was pretty gross but I felt ok initially but about half an hour later I got clammy, sweaty, dizzy and thought I was going to faint rather than vomit. I also went from 7.30pm-7.30am so I wonder if 9pm-9am would work better. And maybe I didn't eat enough, I had a couple of slices of home made pizza. Thanks so much.

Krobbo, nope ms has been long gone thankfully. I started feeling better about 9 weeks. I knew nausea was one of the side effects so I actually took an antinausea pill (cyclizine) which helped me heaps in the first trimester in the morning before I left for the test. I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggest, ask for that blood test again and if all is ok, reconsider it closer to 26-28 weeks. My sister in law (who's a midwife too) suggested asking for the polycose test because it's shorter. I might google it. Thanks for your help.

Gingmg, I have heard about the jelly beans but I'm not sure if I can go with that option but I'll ask. Thank you.

I just got back from my 3 hour glucose test after failing my one hour.

During my one hour, I felt very faint and dizzy and almost vomited but managed to keep it down. I felt sick the entire rest of the day.

I actually had an easier time with my 3 hour test and I think its because I was better prepared. The obgyn said no eating after midnight for my 8 am test. I ate a huge dinner at 6 (homemade pizza as well ironically but big portions). Then right before bed at 11 I ate a bowl of pasta, tons of water, and some nuts.

I brought sea sickness bands to wear on my wrist during the test and put pressure when I was nauseous. Immediately after I finished I ate only protein (nuts, cheese, and a burger with no bun) and stayed away from any additional sugar/carbs. I recovered pretty fast this time and less nausea than I had with the 1 hr which was half the sugar!

Thanks Sil. I was told to fast for 12 hours so I ate all that I could before then. I took an antinausea but didn't wear my sea bands. I forgot about those but I thought I'd be fine because I hadn't been sick in ages. I'm going to ask for the 1 hour test. I see you can actually eat before that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->