Glucose tolerance test

Kammie22

Reaction score
Iv to go to the antenatal clinic at the end of the month for a glucose tolerance test, is this a normal thing as it’s the first iv heard of it. I had bloods done last week at my last appointment and I’m wondering if something was wrong

I was offered this too, because I told midwife during booking in appointment that my dad has diabetes - even though it's type 2.

I have to confess I haven't done it because I was told you can't eat in the morning, have to get an early blood test, drink something sugary and wait two hours then have another blood test again. I couldn't face waiting so long without eating so I've avoided it ��

They do glucose tolerance tests routinely for all pregnancies where I am between 26 and 28 weeks.

Yup totally normal. It’s pretty routine. You just drink a super sugary flavored drink (mine was orange, it wasn’t as bad as people say. Just like orange crush soda without the carbonation) and wait about an hour or so then they take blood. It’s very precisely timed. They usually want you to do it in the morning because you can’t eat before doing it or it’ll skew the results. It’s just to see how your body handle a high dose of sugar. Gestational diabetes can affect delivery, so it’s important to know if you have it or not. Don’t worry too much, it’s not a big deal. Just another thing, like testing for strep.

Yep, it's totally standard here! Went through it with my first kiddo. Like NovaStar said, I didn't find it to be as bad as you sometimes read about. The drink was a little gross, and I was miserable not eating, but I survived. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->