Glucose Tolerance Test

shelley22

Mummy, Daddy and Oliver
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been referred for a GTT, I was just wondering if anyone could help and tell me what it actually entails so I know what Im letting myself in for?

Thank You! :thumbup:

It depends on what type/how long your test is for. With my 2 hour test I had to fast for 12 hours before. If you have to fast for yours I would recommend scheduling it first thing in the morning. They take an initial little sample of blood (not a big vial or anything) and then you drink a really sugary drink which wasn't too bad. They take another small sample after 1 hour and then another at the 2 hour mark. I would recommend taking a good book or some magazines with you and the time will probably fly by. Also I would pack a snack in your bag for afterward. Good luck!

I had one at 28 weeks, they took blood then i had to drink 3 cups of lucozade. Wait 2hrs and then have my bloods re-taken.
I agree with getting an early appointment as i had my 28 week bloods and anti d injection the same time. Didnt leave the doctors till lunch time.

I had GTT test because my sugar levels were higher than normal. fasted from 9pm had blood taken at 9. Drank Lucozade (they tell you to bring it in) waited 2hrs was allowed to drink water and went for a short walk. Took blood at 11. Rang for results 2 days later and it was fine. BRING a sandwich and a banana to have as soon as you leave!! And then go home and rest if you can. It wasnt bad. xx

I've gotta take one on thursday, although its a 3 hour test. She said nothing to eat after midnight, come in at 8 am, they'd give me a drink and test my blood at 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3 hours. I am a little nervous about it...but I know a lot of people don't pass the 1 hour and do fine with the 3 hour so I'm holding out hope there. I have a lot of diabetes in my family so I'm just hoping I don't end up with GD...although there are a lot worse things I could end up with. Good luck with your test!

Thank you for all your replies, I have it two weeks today and 9am thankfully! and Im on holiday from work so I dont have to go back to work after.

Good Luck with yours too Braven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->