"God" Mother "God" Father...

loveme_x

Reaction score
So, like 2 of my super olddd ex boyfriends who basically treated me like SHIT asked me can they be the "god" father of my child. One i dated in 8th grade the other in 9th. I stopped texting one because he was getting annoying and now the other comes out of no where demanding why i didn't tell him i was pregnant. Now he asks can he be the god father. I plain and simply say No and he says why not claiming im being so mean. In the past he'd text me talking about my ex/FOB when we were dating like he knew him and kept asking why i won't love him back.
What is the true definition of a god mother or father? Someone who can keep the kid if something happens to mother/father right?

A Godparent is a person who presents a child at baptism and responds on the child's behalf, promising to take responsibility for the child's religious education.

When you write your will you can decide who the child will go to if something was to happen. Most likely a family member.

"Traditionally, the godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. Today, the word godparent may not have explicitly religious overtones. The (particularly) modern definition of a godparent is “an individual chosen by the parents to take a vested interest in raising a more complete human being.” However, godparent is not a legal position, and should the parents seriously intend the godparents to act as foster parents in case of their death, this must be legally specified through the usual means (such as a will). A godparent may, or may not, be related to the child. A child may have one or several godparents." Quote from a website

Yup its what babypeanut25 said, I have a Godson, i dont believe in god or anything but i was really honoured to be asked to be one set of his god parents, i dont think it should just be handed out to anyone as i do think it is a great honor to be asked and you shouldnt ask to be someone's godparents... My kids are christened because its just not my beliefs kinda thing but still its a very great honor (and shouldnt be wasted on a douche of an ex who has asked you) x

I wouldn't let either if them be your child's godfather. I'd give that role to someone you would be happy your child being brought up by if something happens to you as this is part of what a godparent meant originally.

I am God parent for BILs son and daughter and a very old friend's son. My OH is as well, we take it very seriously, while not in a religious way as I do not push my beliefs, but I make sure that we are there for important occassions and we try to visit at least twice a month. I always make sure that they know they are important to us, and never forget birthday, easter and xmas.

It is an honour to be asked and I think both of these boys are very immature to think it is something that can just be handed out like the title of "prom king".

If one didn't even know you were PG then how the hell is going to stay current in your LOs life? Answer this, would you have them in your wedding party?

My LOs Godparents will be SIL and my brother, they will always be in his life and will love him for him and not for having the title.

Just say it is too important to you to let just anyone be godparent. Don't be railroaded by them. xxx

Its not something you ask someone if you can be a god parent, its something someone asks you if they want you to be their babys god parent. I would find it rude if someone asked me as its an important decision you come to in your own time. How very bizarre for an ex to ask! If any of my exes asked i would think it very odd and ignore them. I have always considered a god parent to be someone who would look after your child if anything happened to you and i would not want any of my exes anywhere near my child!

When i chose my lo's godparents i thought about who would i want to have as family. The religious bit aside it really is about what if you could chose your family, who could be a good role model, give your child different views on the world to your own to broaden their knowledge.
I'm a very introverted homey dedicated to hubby person, my lo godmum is a independant career women who's an engineer, her goddaddy is a solictor who loves the city party life, travelling and outdoor sports. Totally different people to me and hubby but very close freinds who we can happily not speak to for months and just turn up one day and nothing would have changed in our relationship.

defo not those two blokes! Lol

How weird of them to be asking you. Most people choose someone who is close to the family and who will have a good relationship with the child. Clearly an ex boyfriend is not really in that category!!! I don't understand why they are even asking. People don't normally ask to be godparents, they wait to be chosen.

what a tool. poppy has "supporting adults" which is like the non-religious equivalent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->