Going on the pill

jillypoop

Mummy of one
Reaction score
Hi ladies :D

Not sure if I should be asking this on this forum but needed some advice. Basically I have always had very very bad period pains and although I have never suffered from particularly heavy periods, they are irregular and am now considering going on the pill.

There are a few things that put me off though, I have heard that people suffer from acne, putting on weight and mood swings etc. Also, not sure how long I would have to be off the pill before ttc properly?

I know there are a few different pills that you can get and just wondering which one is best for you all?

Basically just some general advice on it really???

thanks guys
xxxxx

Well I've been on the pill almost nonstop since I was 16. Obviously I stopped for my son, and the pregnancy before that ended in MC. I also tried the Nuvaring for a short time but that didn't go well XD

I never had problems with acne and weight gain, but I find it makes it a bit harder to lose weight sometimes. I went on originally for the same reasons as you, but the added bonus of ovarian cysts and suspected endometriosis. It has helped immensely. I actually am on my second month back on, believe it or not. No real side effects except some very mild nausea if I take it in the morning and not at night, and yes, that goes away. I am on Zovia, and it is a generic of one of the basic kinds, I can't remember, sorry (I've been on it so long those little details were forgotten LOL) Oh, and for the mood swings, no problem there, and it is a major concern with my history of depression.

It has helped my cramps and irregular cycles immensely, and my anemia is starting to resolve, since without it, I tend to bleed out (sorry, tmi)

Oh, and the ttc thing? Well, my first pregnancy, I got pregnant on the pill, but it was my own fault, I had a brain malfunction that month LOL After the d & c, I waited 3 months before trying again (my choice) and was able to get pregnant right away, a total time off the pill of about 5 months. Everyone is different, of course. My doctor says you are actually very fertile straight off the pill so that is something to consider.

There are tons of kinds out there, I would go have the discussion with your doctor on what is the best fit for you for what you need, and you can always change types if that one isn't working or it makes you feel like crap or whatever, they are all very different.

Man, I am writing books tonight! Sorry guys, and especially jilly, if you made it through all of this! :D

Hi ladies :D

Not sure if I should be asking this on this forum but needed some advice. Basically I have always had very very bad period pains and although I have never suffered from particularly heavy periods, they are irregular and am now considering going on the pill.

There are a few things that put me off though, I have heard that people suffer from acne, putting on weight and mood swings etc. Also, not sure how long I would have to be off the pill before ttc properly?

I know there are a few different pills that you can get and just wondering which one is best for you all?

Basically just some general advice on it really???

thanks guys
xxxxx

Doctors here actually put you ON birth control to help acne before they give you any strong acne meds. I was on the pill since I was 16 and didn't have any acne whatsoever, then as soon as I came off my skin went to hell! It supresses oil secretion in your skin. So although it may cause acne the first week or so when your body is adjusting to horomones, in the long run it prevents it.

You aren't going to gain weight unless you change your eating habits! I asked my doctor about this when I first went on because of course being 16 I was super concerned about getting fat.I didn't end up gaining weight because of the pills, but I did because I started eating like crap and stopped exercising.

I'm on Ortho 35 but Yasmin is supposed to be really great as well. Tricyclin is a common one that they start you off for. If you feel like one isn't working for you, you can switch until you find the one that fits.

I don't really have any pains on the pill and they are really light - the "bleed" is regular but I am not sure you going on the pill for that reason alone is the right thing to do. I wouldn't say that I have gained that much weight from being on it and have been on it for 9years

There are other things you can take - to regulate the cycle try angus castus

When are you looking to ttc ????????????? as far as I know it doesn't stay in your system and quite a few of my freinds got pregnant after 1 period.

I think that maybe a talk with your doctor would be a good idea

yes, am going to speak to my doctor. Really interested in the tablet called lybrel as it stops periods altogether. My PMT is so bad, my boyfriend thought I was trying to break up with him the first couple of months we were together until I explained it to him and now he tries to do overtime etc when its that time of the month!

We aren't 100% sure, it depends on our job/housing situation and finances really. Hoping between 1 and 2 years, definately no longer than 2 years. I find out tomorrow if I have a permanent job or not, so really nervous!!

thanks for the advice though guys xxxx

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I am on mercilon and I rarely get any pain, "periods" are pretty much one day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back