going out and formula feeding

Googiepie

Reaction score
I seem to always struggle when we have to go somewhere as I'm not sure how to keep the formula fresh. Do you prepare it while out? Prepare it and store it in something? I use the liquid formula that you add water to.

I take warm water in a thermo and take a sterilised bottle so when my daughters hungry i make it on the spot fresh. She will only drink it warm

We only used powder after we ran out of the ready made formula the hospital provided, so I don't have any tips for liquid, sorry. We used the bottles with the drop-in liners, so I'd just measure out the powder into it and take a bottle of water, so when she was hungry I just had to add water, shake, and serve. :)

I think you're in the US so I don't know if this is an option there, but I pretty much always used the ready-to-feed cartons (the like UHT kind that you can store at room temp and just open and pour into a sterile bottle to feed). We did go through a phase of trying to use the powder and make them up fresh with boiled water in a thermos for a time, but that was too much of a pain! After enough times trying to cool down a bottle in bathroom sink of cold water while dancing around with a crying hungry baby, I decided the money saved was not worth the hassle. Here they come in 200ml cartons so if your LO won't drink all of that (or wants more and you have to open another), you will waste some, which again is an added expense. But it was worth it to me.

It depends how long we're out for and when he's due a feed. If we're not going far and he'll want to feed shortly after we get there then I just make the bottle up (using water & powder formula). We have a Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine so the bottle is already the right drinking temperature. If we're going out for the day then I use the ready made milk like MindUtopia mentioned. I'm lucky though as DS2 will happily drink cold milk and actually doesn't like it warm. DS1 would only drink it hot so I would take ready made milk and heat it up in this: https://m.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/travel-bottle-and-food-warmer its a flask but you can then use the cover to pour the hot water in and heat the bottle up in. It was a life saver!!

One very important thing that I learned is that yes you need to boil the water before mixing, but I boil it and let it cool. I have a container that I keep on the counter with the pre boiled water. I use the room temperature water to make my bottles so the kids get used to it. When I go out I just bring the right about of water in the bottle and then when I am ready I just add powder (or in your case the liquid formula).

When I am out I never have to worry about warming up or cooling down bottles.

I carry a flask of cooled boiled water, and another of freshly boiled water and pour both hot and cooled water in the bottle. my dd took room temp bottles just fine even a cooler one on occasion. ds also doesn't have a problem with room temp bottles.

I just take a flask with perfect temp water with me and the bottles with the measure formula in each of them - or if it's a long day the whole formula tin - and mix it on the spot. It's so simple! I've even asked for some boiled water at cafes cause the water in the flask was a little too cool.

One very important thing that I learned is that yes you need to boil the water before mixing, but I boil it and let it cool. I have a container that I keep on the counter with the pre boiled water. I use the room temperature water to make my bottles so the kids get used to it. When I go out I just bring the right about of water in the bottle and then when I am ready I just add powder (or in your case the liquid formula).

When I am out I never have to worry about warming up or cooling down bottles.

I carry a flask of cooled boiled water, and another of freshly boiled water and pour both hot and cooled water in the bottle. my dd took room temp bottles just fine even a cooler one on occasion. ds also doesn't have a problem with room temp bottles.

I just take a flask with perfect temp water with me and the bottles with the measure formula in each of them - or if it's a long day the whole formula tin - and mix it on the spot. It's so simple! I've even asked for some boiled water at cafes cause the water in the flask was a little too cool.

Current UK guidelines say you have to use water at 70degrees or higher to make bottles of formula, because while your bottles may be sterile the formula itself is not, so you need the hot water to sterilise the formula itself. You could have two lots of water like perplexed said, but remember the hot one needs to go on to the formula first to sterilise it, then add the cooled boiled water to bring the temp down.

Are you opposed to using powder when out? I have a formula container with premeasured powder and I used distilled water. I measure hte distilled water and put it in the bottle with the lid. WHen i'm ready to make it I just pour the premeasured powder in and mix. I have never used warm or heated water for bottles for either dd- just distilled water from the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->