Going to the doctors

Becwantsababy

Reaction score
Hi Girls.

Just have a quick question for you all, if I am going to see my GP for a pre-conception appointment, do I ask to see the doctor or the nurse? I would personally prefer to see the nurse with her being female plus I don't really like my doctor anyway but if I have to see the doctor then I suppose I'll have to :growlmad:.

TTC is certainly getting nearer for me so just need to get prepared.

Thanks in advance x

I'm afraid I do not know the answer to your question, however I do wish you the best of luck x

I think either would be fine - if a nurse is not available is there a different lady doctor there?
Either way good luck and I hope you get all the answers you want!!

i think its best to ring up your surgery and ask who you would need to see. im not sure if the nurse would be able to do everything, for example prescribing folic acid, that would normally happen in a pre conception appt. your doctor will also know your medical history better and if there was something, for example diabetes, heart problems etc, that needed to be 'controlled' before pregnancy, he would be able to advise you on that and refer you to who you needed x

Hi Becwantsababy,

I actually had my Doctors appointment today; I had a Day 21 blood test a week ago with the nurse but the Doctor had to explain the results for me (ovulation, thyroid function, blood sugar etc) and give me a prescription for folic acid.

Hope this helps xx

Blood test?!! Argh!! I don't like needles. I've never had a blood test before. As far as I am aware I don't have any medical problems, just a lot of weight (which I plan on losing before ttc). I'm quite scared now.

Silly question but when I normally book appointments they always ask me what the problem is, do I just say 'it's a pre-conception appointment'? I mean, I dont really see my doctor that often anyway as I'm never ill and the only time I saw him in the past was to get my bc (which I haven't taken since June).

i booked in with my doctor, and when they asked me what it was for i just said conception/fertility testing. personally, i dont think it matters too much whether you see a nurse or a doctor, but as someone else said, you can always just ask who they think you need to see. i knew that something was wrong and therefore knew i would want to see a doctor who would be able to give me more advice and refer me for all the right things. but at the end of the day the nurse can always suggest you go see the doctor for your results or something x

So what kinds of things will the doctor need to do? Obviously bp and weight. But would he still do a fertility test even though we are not trying yet? I do hope so as I did have a few things going in my childhood which might affect things. Although everything seems to be ok since coming off bc as I was regular straight away and seem to be OVing.

the main reason i had fertility testing done as well (hormone checks, internal scan etc) was because i knew something was wrong because of my irregular cycles. i was honest with him, and said that i wanted my fertility testing because if i dont bleed regularly then i dont ov., and i didnt want to be back in a years time still chasing a diagnosis.

if you have no reason to believe that anything is wrong, then just go and tell him that you want to start trying, and is there anything you should do. i expect that he will tell you to start taking folic acid, cut out caffeine, get in shape/healthy etc.

theres usually no need for fertility testing unless you have been trying without success for 12 cycles or something like that x

seeing your doctor for pre conception should be encouraged more. the most important time in embryo development is the first few weeks of pregnancy, when the woman doesnt even know shes pregnant.

basically the doctor will want to get you in optimum health for baby, so:
smoking cessation
reducing alcohol intake, or stop drinking full stop is obviously best
change any medications if need to
diet and exercise advice
what to expect during pregnancy - care etc.
if you have any conditions such as asthma, cardio problems, aim for optimum control, medications ok for pregnancy etc
medical history
family history
genetic councelling needed? (rare - for conditions like cystic fibrosis)

this is great for my revision lol :p

I had to have a blood test due to my family history (early menopause) so it was just to check my hormones are doing what they should be and that I am ovulating - I'm not trying yet either and the doctor was fine about running the tests. If you have concerns about stuff you've experienced in the past I would definitely ask the doctor for any tests that will give you peace of mind - I feel much better knowing that everything is as is should be and surely that kind of reassurance has to be good when we do get around to trying?

I definitely think I need testing as due to certain things I was told when I was younger that I wouldn't be able to have children. I am charting at the moment (just noting cm and my af) to see how things go as I have been on bc since I was 16. I just remember when I was in my early 20's when I was having a smear and asked about checking whether I could have children anhd she told me that they would only check once you have been trying for a while, so not sure.

I will ask though as I would rather know than waiting 12 months as I will already be 30 by the time we start trying. I don't want to leave it too late.

See its not just me being a weirdo!! i made an appointment to see somebody about our plan to start trying to conceive and was made to feel like an idiot :growlmad:. they were basically like 'what are you doing here'. it was the nurse, so dont know if doc would have been better but in my prev experiences the nurses were usually nicer than the docs!! i came out really annoyed and quite upset because like all you ladies i thought i was doing the right thing. especially as i had a lot of issues with my low blood cell count a few years ago and i have a retroverted uterus. but they were rubbish and made me feel like i was wasting their time saying 'why did you think you should come' and i should just go have sex if i want a baby. silly me thinking i should clarify and prepare first :dohh:! hope you have a much more pleasant experience!! xx
ps. sorry for the rant!!

ohhh emily that sucks! how rude! it took me three doctors to find someone who was willing to investigate my issues without being judged/called paranoid. initially i was told to stop worrying because i was only 19/20, i had my whole life, why was i fussing about whether i could have children etc. i have similar issues...but mines anteflexed i think?

its definitely worth asking for a fertility test if you have reason to question your fertility. im even pushing for OH to have a fertility test because i was to make sure there are no other issues that we are going to have to face:haha:

Oh dear, I can't believe a medical professional would make you feel silly for caring about something as important having a baby. I'm feeling quite lucky now; I didn't even have to ask for tests - I just wanted to talk over my concerns and it was my doctor who suggested them. Good luck x

Just thought, my doctor has also arranged for me to have a rubella jab (again, I didn't have to ask); does anyone know if that's normal for someone who already had german measles as a child?

Just thought, my doctor has also arranged for me to have a rubella jab (again, I didn't have to ask); does anyone know if that's normal for someone who already had german measles as a child?

aa yes thats another thing, they will check if you have had the vaccination and give it to you, or test you for immunity, if not. they should check your immunity first. if you get pregnant and dont have immunity to rubella they get you to have it afterwards x

Thanks milf2be; thinking about it, I might have also had the jab at school about 15 years ago, I'm not sure if that will still cover me? I'll check when I have my appointment.

thanks girls, i was quite annoyed when i came out the docs yest :growlmad:! i cant remember if i've read when you're starting ttc (its been a long day!!) but you aren't allowed to get pregnant for 2 months after the mmr jab as its a live injection so you also have to have a preg test done at docs before they'll give it to you. thats the jab i was supposed to be getting yesterday as i never had a booster, but she was quite rude and asked why i thought id need one before ttc 'was it just something i came up with in my head'!!!!!! when i said i'd read that i should check i'm up to date with it before ttc she said not to believe what i read in books about conception. i said i came off the pill a few months ago and started taking folic acid and she said that she wouldnt give it to me even if she thought i needed it as i could be pregnant as im not on pill or implant and condoms dont count and if i had conceived yest then it wouldnt show up on test (even though i said hubby been away for 2 weeks!). i thought it was better to come off pill in time to get back to normal :shrug:!?!?!? so i'm really fed upwith them and a bit confused :growlmad:! dont know if its because they're more used to seeing girls who have already got preg than ones getting ready to actually try but they weren't very nice. grr!!

i think i'll go back in the new year if we havent caught by then. maybe they'll take me a bit more seriously if i say we are actually trying to conceive. good luck with your visits, im sure theyl be much better!! xxx

She sounds really charming Emily! How ridiculous! I don't even know if I will be TTC in the near future because my OH isn't sure he actually wants kids (I won't hijack this thread with my sob story). If we do go ahead, it won't be until at least next May. I told the nurse and doctor that it was all up in the air and they couldn't have been more supportive - the doctor is the one telling me to have this test and that test and giving me folic acid so if we decide to go for it, we're ready to roll. Is there anyone else you can go to about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->