Gonal Girls

Hi girls, me again with some more questions.

It seems that the Gonal-F/orgalutran combo is doing something right. My lining is at 0.8 cm, which for me is amazing!:happydance: I think they will want me to trigger tomorrow.

Now we have to decide whether to do IUI or timed BD. I'm really scared of IUI - I don't know why - I guess it's so invasive and I'm worried about infection and it seems so "unnatural". My DH, on the other hand, is scared that they will use the wrong sperm :wacko: Haha!

Anyway, can someone who's been through it let me know what exactly happens during an IUI? how soon before the actual procedure do they need the sperm sample? Why do they need to wash it? Can I go back to work right after it?
thanks a lot !!!
:dust: to all

mizuno -

An IUI is not something to be scared of. I'm doing them because I'm using donor sperm. It is a relatively simple thing to do. They take your DH sperm, and it needs to be as fresh as possible. If you live a long way from the clinic, they may ask you to get him to give the sample there. If you are close they may say you can just bring it in. I would ask them what they prefer, as they will know what is best. When your DH ejaculates, the sperm are in semen. The semen is necessary for the sperm when they are in your vagina, but the semen shouldn't enter the cervix or the uterus. If it did, you would have major cramping and it would be very uncomfortable. So they wash the sperm and get rid of the semen so the only part that is inserted are the sperm.
As for whether you should do it or not, I think the answer is really something you need to discuss with your DH and your FS. If you have unexplained fertility, this would be a reason for doing it. Sometimes a woman has an inhospitable cervix, which basically means that the pH of our vagina/cervix is off, and the sperm die. Another issue is if the cervix is not open enough, then they might have trouble getting where they need to go.
Basically having the IUI gives them a boost up into the uterus. Also, does your DH have any motility issues? This would be another reason to do the IUI. If I were in your position, I would do the IUI, then do some BD'ing at home as well. The FS will probably recommend BD'ing and the proper times for BD'ing as you want to make sure your DH has a good count for the IUI.
The IUI itself is usually not painful. I had one this morning, and it was a tiny bit uncomfortable, kind of like a PAP smear. I haven't had too much cramping since.

GL and let us know what you decide!

Hi girls, me again with some more questions.

It seems that the Gonal-F/orgalutran combo is doing something right. My lining is at 0.8 cm, which for me is amazing!:happydance: I think they will want me to trigger tomorrow.

Now we have to decide whether to do IUI or timed BD. I'm really scared of IUI - I don't know why - I guess it's so invasive and I'm worried about infection and it seems so "unnatural". My DH, on the other hand, is scared that they will use the wrong sperm :wacko: Haha!

Anyway, can someone who's been through it let me know what exactly happens during an IUI? how soon before the actual procedure do they need the sperm sample? Why do they need to wash it? Can I go back to work right after it?
thanks a lot !!!
:dust: to all

1st your partner will go give his sample, and then the magic washing goes in the lab. Washing just gets the better sperm out from the not so good ones

They use this long catheter thing to inject to your cervix so they are right there to catch the eggies...and it actually takes like 15 seconds and its over. You may feel a little crampy afterwards, and they ask you to take it easy throughout the day so you should be able to go bk to work. Goodluck dear!!!

thanks ladies for replying.

My DH doesn't have any issues. My uterine lining is thin and my estrogen low, so that's why we're going through this. This month my lining is a bit better, but my E2 is still around 100, when it should be around 200. There is still a chance it might go up in the next day or so I guess.

I am a little pissed at my FS, as she originally told us that the sperm wash would cost ~$200 and that there is a much higher chance of getting pregnant this way. Now it turns out, they do IUI two times in a row and the cost is $650. I don't want to make this about the money, I'd gladly pay it if it meant I get pregnant, but I don't like her being sneaky. And, I've been looking on the internet and it doesn't seem like IUI pregnancy rates are much higher than regular (10-20%) So, I don't know... I guess we will have to decide soon. My DH is as much on the fence as I am. We're terrible at making decisions haha :)

Thanks for at least putting my mind at ease about the physical part of the procedure.

thanks ladies for replying.

My DH doesn't have any issues. My uterine lining is thin and my estrogen low, so that's why we're going through this. This month my lining is a bit better, but my E2 is still around 100, when it should be around 200. There is still a chance it might go up in the next day or so I guess.

I am a little pissed at my FS, as she originally told us that the sperm wash would cost ~$200 and that there is a much higher chance of getting pregnant this way. Now it turns out, they do IUI two times in a row and the cost is $650. I don't want to make this about the money, I'd gladly pay it if it meant I get pregnant, but I don't like her being sneaky. And, I've been looking on the internet and it doesn't seem like IUI pregnancy rates are much higher than regular (10-20%) So, I don't know... I guess we will have to decide soon. My DH is as much on the fence as I am. We're terrible at making decisions haha :)

Thanks for at least putting my mind at ease about the physical part of the procedure.

If it helps any, I'm doing the IUIs in Canada and they charge me $450 per IUI, that doesn't include the washing (since mine come washed - donor sperm). I think it would be cheaper if I had OHIP, but I'm a US resident and lost my OHIP coverage a long time ago. It is about the same cost per IUI in the US too. My E2 was 2275 today, which is mega high, but I had 7 follicles, only 1-2 of which look good. Last month with only 1 follicle my E2 was 975 on IUI day.
In my opinion, if you have gone to the trouble of doing the Gonal F and everything else, you may as well follow through and do the IUI. It does give the :spermy: a boost into the uterus, which is 1/2 of their journey.
Good luck whatever you decide! :dust:

My E2 was 2275 today, which is mega high, but I had 7 follicles, only 1-2 of which look good. Last month with only 1 follicle my E2 was 975 on IUI day.

Wow, I am jealous of your E2 and your hard-working follies :) ! I only have one ready to go this month and it's not making much E2:(
which is another reason I am a bit hesitant about IUI. I would have liked this cycle to be perfect if I was to do IUI, but I'll have to do with what I've got. Thanks for your advice - much appreciated!

Good luck to you as well!

Hi Everyone! I am having a very hard day and I am hoping for some encouragement with your feedback. To make a long story not so long, I talked with my RE on cd3 about being more aggressive with treatment. He wanted to get me started on Gonal~F injections only, however we didn't have time to get the meds and get started that day so we decided to try a combo. Due to insurance reasons and trying to stay on a budget, I decided not to do the combo and to take this month off with only a round of Clomid at 150 and see what happens. I went to the RE on cd9 and had seven follies all around 14/15. Since they seemed fine and my bloodwork was good, he wanted to see me on cd11, today. So at my u/s, I had five beautiful follies all at 18-20 and a nice three lined lining. Everything on screen looked amazing so we decided to see what the bloodwork came back with and go ahead and trigger and do the iui. This afternoon I get a call from the nurse practitioner telling me that my estrogen level dropped from 339 on Sunday to 219 today, Tuesday. She told me that we were not going to schedule the iui and scheduled a consult with my RE for Friday. I am freaking out! I am so very heartbroken and feel like such a failure. What causes your levels to drop? What does that mean to my cycle? Will doing all Gonal~F help? Should I just go for IVF? Will anything work if my estrogen levels decrease? Oh please someone give me some hope.

Just dropping in, and saying hello. Hope all is well with everyone... I'm still celebrating my bday which was monday.... :haha: sorry to be so brief will catch up later :dust:

chiles- yay happy bday

christine- that sounds like a lot of follies for clomid. the low estrogen likely suggests that they are cysts not follicles. id try asking in some of the iui threads too

Hi Everyone! I am having a very hard day and I am hoping for some encouragement with your feedback. To make a long story not so long, I talked with my RE on cd3 about being more aggressive with treatment. He wanted to get me started on Gonal~F injections only, however we didn't have time to get the meds and get started that day so we decided to try a combo. Due to insurance reasons and trying to stay on a budget, I decided not to do the combo and to take this month off with only a round of Clomid at 150 and see what happens. I went to the RE on cd9 and had seven follies all around 14/15. Since they seemed fine and my bloodwork was good, he wanted to see me on cd11, today. So at my u/s, I had five beautiful follies all at 18-20 and a nice three lined lining. Everything on screen looked amazing so we decided to see what the bloodwork came back with and go ahead and trigger and do the iui. This afternoon I get a call from the nurse practitioner telling me that my estrogen level dropped from 339 on Sunday to 219 today, Tuesday. She told me that we were not going to schedule the iui and scheduled a consult with my RE for Friday. I am freaking out! I am so very heartbroken and feel like such a failure. What causes your levels to drop? What does that mean to my cycle? Will doing all Gonal~F help? Should I just go for IVF? Will anything work if my estrogen levels decrease? Oh please someone give me some hope.

Christine - did they look at your LH? Estrogen starts to fall as your LH rises, could you have been starting to ovulate? My e2 levels are on the opposite side, and are often really high, on Saturday mine was 918 and by Monday it was 2275 and yesterday afternoon it had already dropped to 1128. Between Monday and Tuesday afternoon I had Ovulated. If that is the case, you may have already ovulated? I think cysts often cause elevated estrogen, so I doubt they were cysts. If you haven't ovulated, then my guess is that your FS is going to want to put you on an estrogen supplement and/or Gonal F. This past month I was on Gonal F, and it seemed to have worked. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks as we did IUIs on Monday and Tuesday. I hope you get your answers on Friday!

ok, so here is my update: I decided to go with IUI, despite only one good follicle and slightly low estrogen - but my lining was 0.8cm, which for me is awesome :thumbup: Did the IUI this morning, and it wasn't that bad. The bad thing is that I actually ovulated yesterday, right after my HCG shot:( I guess that one follicle was very keen :)

So, I'm not sure how good an IUI ~16h after ovulation is (that's my estimation, based on cramps etc), but we also BD'd the day before ovulation, so I hope that it will still be ok. My RE said that the egg can live 24-36 hrs after ovulation. I thought it was more like 12-24 hrs, but whatever, it's done now, we'll see what happens.

Wish me luck, I feel really good about this cycle! Now I just need to get through this 2WW :)

Anyone else starting their 2WW? Let's get through it together! :happydance:

Good Luck Mizuno!!! I'm glad to hear you went with the IUI...no biggie right??

ok, so here is my update: I decided to go with IUI, despite only one good follicle and slightly low estrogen - but my lining was 0.8cm, which for me is awesome :thumbup: Did the IUI this morning, and it wasn't that bad. The bad thing is that I actually ovulated yesterday, right after my HCG shot:( I guess that one follicle was very keen :)

So, I'm not sure how good an IUI ~16h after ovulation is (that's my estimation, based on cramps etc), but we also BD'd the day before ovulation, so I hope that it will still be ok. My RE said that the egg can live 24-36 hrs after ovulation. I thought it was more like 12-24 hrs, but whatever, it's done now, we'll see what happens.

Wish me luck, I feel really good about this cycle! Now I just need to get through this 2WW :)

Good luck! I had the same thing happen to me with the trigger. I don't know why they say you'll ovulate 36 hours after if people often ovulate sooner. ARGH! Well I'm glad you BD'd the day before O, that should up your chances

I'm 3DPO now, and 3&4 DP IUI (I did 2). I triggered on Monday, and because I tend to ovulate quickly after the trigger, we did one IUI that day, and then the next one 30 hours post trigger. I think I actually ovulated twice this month, once around 3pm on Monday and again around 6pm on Tuesday. It is possible since I had 1 follicle that was already collapsing on Monday morning, and 2 that were around 12-13 that we thought might catch up (maybe).

So we can get through the 2WW together! :hug: :dust:

Its been a while but :dust: to everyone in their cycles, and TWW, and on a break!!!!!!! Still rooting for you ladies!!!

I'm 5DPO, and really emotional! Yikes, was watching the next food network star earlier, and was getting teary (I had it taped as it ended in mid-July). I'm also finally back from Canada, took me a long time to drive 1400 miles. At least I made it safe and sound! I also POAS earlier, to see if the trigger was gone, and it appears that it is. I'll check it again with FMU just to make sure that it is gone, and as long as it is, that means that any positive I get from here on out is real!

HUGS to all of you out there that are in the 2WW or gearing up to O!! :dust:

Chiles- thanks hun :hugs:

Alicatt- 5dpo hope your trigger has gone so when you test you know :) fx'd sending you plenty of :dust:

Afm- STILL no :witch: grrrrr! Want to get onto my next round!

Chiles- thanks hun :hugs:

Alicatt- 5dpo hope your trigger has gone so when you test you know :) fx'd sending you plenty of :dust:

Afm- STILL no :witch: grrrrr! Want to get onto my next round!

Hurru Up AF :witch: get here quickly!

Good Luck Mizuno!!! I'm glad to hear you went with the IUI...no biggie right??

it really wasn't that bad at all. I will definitely have no fears about doing it again. But let's hope that's not necessary :)

Good luck! I had the same thing happen to me with the trigger. I don't know why they say you'll ovulate 36 hours after if people often ovulate sooner. ARGH! Well I'm glad you BD'd the day before O, that should up your chances

I'm 3DPO now, and 3&4 DP IUI (I did 2). I triggered on Monday, and because I tend to ovulate quickly after the trigger, we did one IUI that day, and then the next one 30 hours post trigger. I think I actually ovulated twice this month, once around 3pm on Monday and again around 6pm on Tuesday. It is possible since I had 1 follicle that was already collapsing on Monday morning, and 2 that were around 12-13 that we thought might catch up (maybe).

that's great that you did IUI 2x. Definitely ups your chances! Fingers crossed for you this month!!! I can't believe your HCG is gone already - I did some calculations and figured it will still be detectable 12 days after. Actually, a few months ago I tested on day 10 post-trigger and got a faint line - I was sooo excited, but then the day after it was gone :( This time I'm waiting till day 13. Not sure how I'll manage that :) Anyway, seeing that your trigger is gone already, let us know when you start testing for real!!! Good luck!!!:dust:

that's great that you did IUI 2x. Definitely ups your chances! Fingers crossed for you this month!!! I can't believe your HCG is gone already - I did some calculations and figured it will still be detectable 12 days after. Actually, a few months ago I tested on day 10 post-trigger and got a faint line - I was sooo excited, but then the day after it was gone :( This time I'm waiting till day 13. Not sure how I'll manage that :) Anyway, seeing that your trigger is gone already, let us know when you start testing for real!!! Good luck!!!:dust:

Turns out that I didn't wait long enough for the IC test to develop. I came back to it an hour later and there was a faint line. I took another test this morning, but forgot to use FMU, and it was still there, but faint. It has been a week for me, and it is often gone by now for me. Maybe the IC tests are more sensitive? IDK. I'll test again tomorrow and see what it looks like. I do know that if I start seeing a darker line that it means I'm pregnant! I do think its still early though as I'm 7 dp trigger and 6-7 dpo (I am fairly sure I O'd on the Monday and Tuesday of last week since I had multiple follicles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->