Got an appointment and confused- high bmi maybe?

flamingpanda

Reaction score
So I'm 10 weeks and still waiting for my scan date to come through. I got a letter this morning and thought that was it but after a phone call it seems not. Can anyone clarify what this is please?

Basically the letter says an appointment has been made for me to attend an out-patient clinic at the local hospital. It says I need to take my notes and they will take my medical history. Following that I will have a blood test, height/weight and urine test done. Then it goes on to say that if I haven't had an early pregnancy scan they will go on to do one then. This will be at 14.3. So the reason I rang was that we want the NT test and obviously that would be too late. However the woman I spoke to said this is something different and I will still be offered a scan in a separate letter.

I'm confused! My midwife did most of this stuff at 8 weeks, any reason why it would be done again? Now my bmi is a little higher this pregnancy and I was told I would need extra scans etc but this just reads like a big waste of time if my midwife did it already. Any ideas why I would be given this? I should have asked on the phone but I was just so relieved this wasn't my scan (not sure I can wait til 14.3!).

Anyone got anything similar?

That sounds completely nuts to me! Usually for your NT they'd need blood from you about a week before. 14.3 is an odd time to be doing a check up like this, especially if you're having your NT scan at a normal time (which they'll hopefully sort out very soon).

Thanks Hit Girl, it has me really confused too. Talked to my partner and we've agreed we'll give it until Friday to see if a scan letter follows. If not I might try calling directly about the scan. The thing is I already have the slip to hand over for bloods at my dating scan, so I don't see why they'd need to take more so soon (particularly as my midwife already took some too!). I actually see her again a week on Friday so I might just take this letter along and ask WTF it could possibly be for. I mean if they feel it's necessary then fair enough but the letter is just so vague. Plus I think I'm disappointed it isn't my scan, as after our loss last year I'm so desperate to know everything is ok.

I wonder if maybe the midwife didnt forward your previous bloodwork etc to them or something got mixed up. I have a high bmi and my dr isnt concerned at all. No extra bloodwork or scans etc. I only have two scans total. So i think somehow the paperwork got confused. Did you explain to them that the midwife already did bloodwork etc and ask why you need it done again? The next round of bloodwork doesnt need to be done until later in pregnancy. I would even just call your midwife and let her know about the letter ahead of time.

Yes this is what I think too, it just sounds so much like what we did at the first appointment. My BMI was borderline last time and I didn't have any extra scans but my midwife told me I would get two extra this time. I'm 2 points higher I think. I was in the process of losing the weight and I thought I'd be a similar BMI to last time but we ended up getting pregnant a lot faster than we thought.

But as you say, even with a higher BMI why on earth would they need bloods so soon?

Anyway what we've decided to do is hang on two days to see if the scan letter follows and if by Friday we have heard nothing I'm going to ring my midwife and then the hospital.

An update!

Got home today and my scan letter was waiting! :happydance: Did a little dance until I realised it's scheduled for the last day of our holiday. :( If it can't be moved then we can rush back but considering this is probably going to be our last holiday for a while, I'm hoping that's not the case!

So that does mean the other appointment is unrelated. Going to stop worrying about it and just take the letter to my midwife next week and see what she makes of it.

Good plan - and such a bummer about it clashing with your holiday! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->