Grandma buying too much

LynnDAndrea

Reaction score
My Mother in Law is obsessed with our 10 month old daughter. I am trying to set boundaries because things are uncomfortable for me when she visits. I have posted other threads about her referring to my daughter as “my baby” and to herself as “mommy “
So she buys a lot of clothes as gifts for my daughter. I know it’s nice gesture and my husband sees it as we don’t need to buy clothes now but it bothers me. I really enjoy buying and picking clothes out for my daughter and especially because I don’t buy things for myself anymore. Also, this will most likely be our only child and I know a day will come when I will not be able to dress my daughter.
My MIL just sent an Easter package in the mail with 15 outfits all size 12 month. I feel like that is way too much and all for one size group. I find it hard justifying buying more clothes from me when she already has a closet full. I thanked my MIL for the clothing but told her that she didn’t need to get so much though. She then told my husband that she didn’t buy all thr clothing at one time that it was over a few months. I still don’t think that makes it ok.
What should I do?Should this bother me?

Last edited:
She is unhealthily obsessed. Is this her first grandchild? If so, they do normally get treated like royalty as it's novelty but she seems to be going OTT. Have your partner talk to her and explain that as grateful as you are for her generosity, there is no true benefit to it and it makes you both feel like you cannot provide foryourselves (even though that could be a white lie).

If she really wants to buy things, let it be special occasions only - birthday/Christmas, or keep the things she buys at her house for visits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->