Group b strep test?

Mrs G

Lily and Tommy's mummy
Reaction score
Hi
So I know in UK we don't get offered the test on nhs but is anyone paying to have it?
Xx

If you tell your midwife you're having excess discharge they should give you a swab and test for it anyway.

I'm paying for one - got the test kit and have to send it off between 35 - 37 weeks. I did one with DD too (was negative) xx

Not in the UK, but it my doctor is doing it to me at my 37 week appointment.

I'm considering this at the moment. I'm erring on having it but will speak to my consultant at my 32 week appt.

Some hospitals now provide testing for it on the NHS so double check with your hospital. I know mine now tests for it routinely between 35 and 37 weeks and I'm at St Mary's hospital in Manchester. They did not test 3 years ago with my little girl.
It's worth asking, if not the group b strep support group has a list of reputable private labs that do the test for about £35.
https://gbss.org.uk/who-we-are/testing-for-gbs/ecm-test-where-how/

My midwife is going to do it at my 34 week appointment as asked her at my last appointment and she wasn't keen but I insisted so she agreed.

Saw consultant today who said its only relevant with a vaginal birth, not a threat with a section. But there is evidence to say the antibiotics they give can cause anaphylactic shock in baby!?
Xx

Spoke to my MW and consultant and they both said the same.

They said many women have are positive for strep B and that it's never a problem. That just because you come up positive on the tests doesn't mean it's going to flare up, may just lie dormant and that the only vulnerable babies are at risk. They say out of every 10 women that are positive for strep B only about 1 of them will have any issues.

That's why they don't offer it and don't like to do it as they'd be giving unnecessary AB's to mothers (and babies) during birth that could cause more issues.

Hence we decided against it.

I was GBS+ with my last baby and had the IV AB's in labour. This time around I haven' been tested and my consultant is in favour of me staying away from getting tested for various reasons. I haven't had the test and likely won't be, unless I have any bleeding (that's how it got picked up last time, I had blooding and had swabs done which showed it).

Spoke to my MW and consultant and they both said the same.

They said many women have are positive for strep B and that it's never a problem. That just because you come up positive on the tests doesn't mean it's going to flare up, may just lie dormant and that the only vulnerable babies are at risk. They say out of every 10 women that are positive for strep B only about 1 of them will have any issues.

That's why they don't offer it and don't like to do it as they'd be giving unnecessary AB's to mothers (and babies) during birth that could cause more issues.

Hence we decided against it.

That's basically what my mw said to me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->