growing Clematis with children around

Agoo

Reaction score
I was about to plant a new Clematis in our garden but just realised that it's supposed to be toxic if eaten, inhaled, or touched. I'm surprised given how popular this plant seems to be. I'm just wondering if anyone here has grown this with kids around, and if there have been any problems? Thanks!

I just planted some on Monday, I didn't know they were toxic!

Here's what got me worried:
https://www.ehow.com/facts_7639056_clematis-toxic.html
So that's a generic website, and I don't know what their sources are...
but Sick Kids has it listed as a poisonous plant too:
https://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/HealthAZ/SafetyandtheEnvironment/Poisoning/Pages/Plant-safety.aspx

From the first website it sounds like a rash would be the worst your LO MIGHT get from just touching it. Also sounds like the reaction from eating it (which I hope is v. unlikely) is more likely to be worse in pets than humans.

However seeing as you haven't planted it yet you might want to avoid. If it was already in your garden I wouldn't be saying dig it up. Most gardens have something toxic in. My parents have:

Foxgloves
Clematis
Wisteria
Hydrangea
Lilly of the valley
Chrysanthemum
Rhododendrons

All of which are toxic in different ways.

I have clematis, didn't even know it was toxic.

I have just bought a Clematis and plan on planting it today. A lot of plants are toxic. I will be just keeping an eye on the kids when they are out in the garden.

Oh golly that is good to know! I have Clematis and will have to watch them when they are out in the garden. They tend to rip leaves off plants at times. But so far have never eaten any.

Most stuff is very poisonous in your garden. I freak when I see parents handing kids flowers off trees to play with and they put them in their mouth. These wont just make you feel ill they will kill you in the most horrific way. A hydrangea is known as the cyanide plant because of its effects if eaten. And most them are the same symptoms, vomiting , spasm, comas,internal damage etc My garden is full of them too. I have always said to my kids never eat plants, they never have done anyway. Another note lilies kill cats, the pollen.

My garden has around 10-15 clematis in it and so does my parents. My kids have touched them with no ill effects but to be fair they haven't eaten any.
Lots of plants can be dangerous but I think a bit of comman sense is called for and as long as children are encouraged not to eat plants and to wash hands before eating then they should be ok.

We have 2 clematis in the garden and there was a huge one in my garden when I was growing up. I have never heard of anyone being ill because of one.

I think it's far more important to teach your kids to not touch or eat plants or leaves etc unless you tell them they are safe rather than avoid planting things. Tom knows there are a couple of plants (mint, lemon balm, lavender) where he can pick the leaves to play with but the others are left alone.

We have 2 clematis in the garden and there was a huge one in my garden when I was growing up. I have never heard of anyone being ill because of one.

I think it's far more important to teach your kids to not touch or eat plants or leaves etc unless you tell them they are safe rather than avoid planting things. Tom knows there are a couple of plants (mint, lemon balm, lavender) where he can pick the leaves to play with but the others are left alone.

Agreed. It's just a bit more difficult to enforce this with a sneaky 22 month old who knows very well not to put random things in her mouth, but does so anyway, coupled with guilty sidelong glances at you. She hasn't tried it with leaves yet though.

Thanks for all the perspectives! I think I might go ahead and plant it anyway. I just can't find too many replacement climbers that aren't poisonous.

Agreed. It's just a bit more difficult to enforce this with a sneaky 22 month old who knows very well not to put random things in her mouth, but does so anyway, coupled with guilty sidelong glances at you. She hasn't tried it with leaves yet though.

Thanks for all the perspectives! I think I might go ahead and plant it anyway. I just can't find too many replacement climbers that aren't poisonous.

I know exactly what you mean! My son used to put everything in his mouth right up to 2 1/2....he particularly loved the gravel patio with all the stones to eat :wacko:

Strangely though he was never very interested in trying to eat leaves off plants.

Only if you eat it, I have seen hog weed damage on someone though now thats scary also. Agree with your second paragraph. We grow our own here too. They know not to pick mushrooms up either as we have some of the crazy ones in the garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->