Had First Appointment Today

I am also terrible with bloods... If I sit up I faint ever since I was 10 (most of my family is like this too). Unfortunately I usually end up going in at least 12 times a year to get blood drawn, sometimes multiple times in a month.

I've gotten to the point that if someone will not let me lie down and is insensitive I will complain to their superiors and refuse to let them touch me.

Things that help me include:
1. Making sure I'm hydrated.
2. If not fasting for certain tests, eating a little bit of chocolate before :)
3. Keeping warm, veins change in size if they are cold/warm.
4. I keep my eyes closed the entire time or look elsewhere and use my yoga breathing the entire time to help keep me relaxed (nurses usually think I'm nuts).

Sorry that you had such a bad experiance. People like that should be in a different industry or a lab. :)

Blargh. Well I'm not so afraid of the little prick when the needle goes in now, feeling someone wiggling a needle in all different directions (and against the bone in your wrist) is a MUCH worse feeling!! :sick:

x

um if she is doing that then I wouldnt be going back because you can tear the veins.

Thanks all. I thought about asking them to use a topical anaesthetic/numbing gel, but wasn't sure if any were safe during pregnancy? Well, I was worried she wouldn't know...but I guess it's only a tiny bit?

I'm going to try and avoid the butterfly needles, I read on a website that the nurse chooses the right needle for you so not to ask unless really necessary (don't want to piss her off :lol:) but that's another thing I'm considering asking for if she makes another hash.

I was going to say, it was absolutely FREEZING in there and I remember my friend's mum (a nurse) doing the finger prick test for me for diabetes and she literally had to rub my finger until it felt hot to get the blood actually flowing!!! Not sure how to remedy that because she made me take my coat off and sit there while she prepared everything and took a while, so I got cold quick... I guess if I take Alex I could have him try and warm up my arm at least?!

My left one actually hurts to straighten out (because of the bruise) this morning :dohh: but looking at it - the actual needle prick is the smallest and only one that actually looks like a needle prick! The others are definitely longer and wider where she was wiggling - not really the sign of a good nurse!! Blah. I feel a bit better about it this morning, I think I was just so nervous after the complete trial she made it yesterday...I am just hoping she'll do a better job today!!!

I'm sat here drinking water, so....we'll see!

Congrats on your BFP btw Ryder!

xxx

ETA: Ooh! I'm taking some chocolate as well...even if I only end up eating it afterwards - someone said to try eating a bit of chocolate WHILE they put the needle in and just concentrate on the chocolate..

Sorry if I missed replying to anyone's posts properly! I'm just about to jump in the shower and get ready, dunno what time Alex is home.

Good luck!!! I hope this time goes better! (I cover myself up with my jacket when I lie down too to help keep the warmth going).

...and use my yoga breathing the entire time to help keep me relaxed (nurses usually think I'm nuts)...

I've done this too... it helps a lot to focus on your breathing

Thanks guys!! Hubby is on his way home now, so I'm gonna go get prepared!! :S

I have been doing some breathing to make me feel better when I feel sick etc...and because I was nervous yesterday...so I was breathing at least!! :lol::thumbup: Good start, right? :D

This is gonna hurt worse to start with I think because she's gonna be pressing on the bruise she gave me yesterday :dohh:

I'll report back if I survive todays trials!! :lol:

xxxxxx

I am feeling for ya girl!! when I get blood done I tell the lady I have low blood pressure and need to lay down, and my arms are pretty muscly so they have a are hard time finding a vein, I have had it in my hand before and that sucks the most!!! the last time they found the vein 3 inches up from where you would normally get it and it didn't hurt at all, in fact the best place for me is there, the arm bend doesn't effect it...
good luck in the future:)

Thanks Farm Girl, I usually have low blood pressure, but after yesterday went and checked my blood pressure and it was incredibly normal?! :shock: My pulse rate has been sitting up at 100-101 the past couple of days though! :lol:

Anyway....I'M ALIVE!!!!!! :happydance:

We went back to the place we went on Thursday and they closed at 1pm!! So we went back to the Ob Gyn's office and the ladies in there said they'd had a LOT of problems with the girl who works at the blood place, the nurse who I was with at the Ob Gyn's said she'd actually been round to have a word a few days ago about something else...They apologised for the way I was treated and advised me to complain about her to her supervisor and sent us to a different 'branch' of the company... I LOVE my Ob Gyn's office, they just seem to supportive already! :D

Anyway, we went to this other place and the lady there apologised for the way I was treated, she called me out back and said they were going to do EVERYTHING again - took a urine sample and did ALL the bloods. She had to go for my right arm because my left is so badly bruised (it's starting to go down a little today) but she got it in first time, talking me through the whole thing and talking to hubby and I about other stuff...She didn't even have me squeeze the stress ball things at all! Held the needle in place with one hand and used the other to remove and replace all (7) of the vials... I was a little confused because the lady on Thursday said there were "8....no there's more...9...." etc vials?????? I barely felt faint afterwards whereas thurs I was feeling very iffy and emotional after that experience....

Got more apologies and everyone was very polite - a couple of ladies helped with the bill section and I told them I'd already had HIV etc tests for the Green Card, so didn't need them, the lady rang my nurse at the Ob Gyn's to confirm and while on the phone my nurse obviously made a fuss about how I was treated and asked for the supervisor's number so she could talk to them direct!!!

It's come out costing over $500, but I was just glad to get it done so EASILY after the hash that was made on Thursday...Everyone was so apologetic and I said to Alex "Thank goodness, I was worried I was over-reacting..." to which he said Hell No, because even the nurses agree it was handled really badly and have obviously been having problems with the girl before this!!! Phew.

Scan today!! :happydance:

xxxxx

Glad your second try at bloodwork was a success. Looking forward to hearing about your scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->