Hair dye

BlushingBride

Reaction score
I know this is a debated topic and that it's widely considered "safe" after the first trimester but I need some encouragement to get the guts to do it this time around! Lol. My last pregnancy, my first, I was way too terrified to do anything that I thought could potentially harm the baby and I stressed about every little thing. Well after putting on some weight and not dying my hair, wearing nail polish/lip stick (ridiculous I know) it did a number on my self confidence. I have an appt to get my hair colored at 16 weeks but I'm already worrying about it! I get blonde highlights but would like to get low lights and highlights. She typically puts a toner on it as well. What do you all choose to do during your pregnancy?! Hearing stories of others will help push me towards going to my appt :)

I know this is a debated topic and that it's widely considered "safe" after the first trimester but I need some encouragement to get the guts to do it this time around! Lol. My last pregnancy, my first, I was way too terrified to do anything that I thought could potentially harm the baby and I stressed about every little thing. Well after putting on some weight and not dying my hair, wearing nail polish/lip stick (ridiculous I know) it did a number on my self confidence. I have an appt to get my hair colored at 16 weeks but I'm already worrying about it! I get blonde highlights but would like to get low lights and highlights. She typically puts a toner on it as well. What do you all choose to do during your pregnancy?! Hearing stories of others will help push me towards going to my appt :)

According to my OB. It is perfectly fine. The biggest issue is that the odor of hairdye can make pregnant women feel ill. And I think that is they main concern

I'm almost 12 weeks so haven't dyed my hair for 3 months and it's definitely annoying me already! I'm quite lucky because my natural hair color is a medium brown and I normally dye it black so my regrowth isn't THAT bad but very noticeable to me. I still haven't decided if I will dye it once I get into the second trimester, I definitely would like to but then a part of me thinks no matter how low the risk it wouldn't be worth the worry it would cause me. I also think its a pretty good opportunity to get my hair back to my natural color without an expensive color correction! I think just do what you feel comfortable with. A woman I know who is about 16 weeks has been getting highlights and toner done since week 13 so I'm sure plenty of people do it and are fine!

As long as your OB/midwife says it's safe, then I say go ahead. As long as you are in a very well ventilated area.
I personally really need to re-dye my hair (my roots are showing through so much and it is very faded) but I will be waiting until well into the second-tri before I dye it.

I never had issues with it, and my ob and many others have said the dyeing itself doesn't harm the baby since your scalp won't absorb enough of the chemicals to harm the baby. But it's the smell/fumes that can make you nauseous when inhaling it in a poorly ventilated area that can cause some concern, not for the baby, but for your already upset stomach from the pregnancy symptoms.

I did the same thing with my first, and ended up being sick and having a preemie. I decided not to stress so much with my second, and she came full term and healthy (and I was not *as* sick). I didn't stress about my vitamins being "perfect", I didn't obsess over my caffeine intake or how many times I ate fast food vs home cooked, etc. I also used semi perm hair dye about 2 weeks before she was born, and everything was fine.

I have heard highlights/lowlights are preferable to full head dye, and of course semi perm is usually better than perm (although both are considered safe). I personally would wait until I was in the second tri though, just to be safe.

It's safe! I had all my hair fully colored from root to tip with permanent hair color when pregnant with my son, and he was born full term and perfectly fine

No matter what the choice is yours and yours alone to make, although here is the facts.
Your scalp can not absorb anywhere near enough chemicals to harm the baby. If you were to dye your hair every day then you could be creating problems. But studies have shown that every six -eight weeks is a ok :)

Go for it, if that's what you want, go for it!!

The biggest issue is your hormones. You are more likely to have an allergic reaction - even if you've used the same dye for years. If you do skin tests, there is no reason to be worried.

As an ex hairdresser i just wait til 2nd tri, not sure why, just feels "right" :haha:

Hey hun i use to be a hairdresser, its completely safe wont harm u or the baby, its just down to you hormones it can cause some dyes not to take well but blonde highlight will be fine hun, pamper yourself hun xx

I'm a hairdresser and I had my roots done with my 1st
Every 4 weeks and will do with this one too ----
The way I see it is you know your stylist always gets pregnant
And buggers off we always get covered in colour and generally
All our babies are born perfectly healthy xxx

my ob/gyn says no hair dyes, tattoos, or any chemicals during first trimester.

The biggest issue is your hormones. You are more likely to have an allergic reaction - even if you've used the same dye for years. If you do skin tests, there is no reason to be worried.

As an ex hairdresser i just wait til 2nd tri, not sure why, just feels "right" :haha:

Uhhh that is what worries me, the whole allergic reaction thing! Even when not pregnant.

Going to have to bite the bullet soon as keep noticing more and more little grey hairs!!

I'm in the exact same boat as you! With my first I was too scared and didn't color my hair, and I just didn't feel good about myself at all after I had her. I didn't feel like myself. This time I have gotten my hair colored twice. I did wait until after I was in my 2nd trimester, and both times I have had her keep the color off my scalp (I just do highlights/lowlights). Typically when I'm not pregnant she puts a toner directly on my scalp to lift my roots/base color as well, but I opted out of that to play it extra safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->