Hakuna Matata's Book Reviews

Updated the front page.

I'm on my 3rd Jodi book this week (hooray for vacation!)

I Googled authors that are supposed to be similar to Jodi, including Chris Bohjalian and Kim Edwards. They are said to deal with controversial topics and moral dilemmas. I'll see if their books are any good.

Also downloaded The Lovely Bones, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and The Notebook. Not sure what I'll be reading next, but they are in my Nook, and I'm ready to roll.

Currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It's about a woman who gives birth to twins, one with Downs Syndrome, and her husband tells her the baby has died and sends the baby to live in a home for people with disabilities. I'm reading this book because I've read 99% of Jodi Picoult's books, and I need to try something new. I like the idea of this book so far because my DH and I had a conversation a long time ago about what would happen if we had a Downs baby. Basically my reaction was nothing would change, that of course I'd raise the baby, and DH said he'd want to consider our "options". :wacko: Basically we were in complete disagreement. I can't wait to see how this book turns out. I'm predicting that the mom will eventually find out about her husband's betrayal and meet her daughter. The one criticism I have is that there is not enough dialogue. There should be more conversations and fewer descriptive passages.

I read 3 Jodi Picoult books last week on vacation. I loved them all. I need to go on vacation more often :haha:

You're doing good. I'm moving slow this year. I need to update my thread as I have read 2 books since I last posted. Also seriously considering getting a kindle. Uhhhh I can;t believe I'm budging. lol

Happy Reads :)

I finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter last night, and I really enjoyed it. I would read another book by this author at some point in the future. The book seemed overly descriptive at first, but then I found that the dialogue increased substantially, and I was able to get into the rhythm of the book.

Now I'm stuck as to what to read next... I had been thinking something sentimental like the Notebook by Nicholas Sparks but now I don't know. I was scanning the B&N shop on my Nook last night, and nothing really jumped out at me. :shrug: Maybe I'll just read What to Expect the First Year for now...

Any suggestions for feel good chick lit??? Something that a girl might enjoy but that a guy wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole? Something emotional yet believable?

Currently reading:

Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
D Day - Stephen Ambrose

Hi I'm a big Jodi fan. My favourite by far is 19 minuites however I thought her latest one sing you home was very good too. For easy chic lit I read either adele parks or marian Keyes. X

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Also reading Girl Interrupted. Yes I'm reading 4 books atm and it's likely that some may get left by the wayside at some point.

Currently reading:

Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
D Day - Stephen Ambrose
Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen
What to Expect the First Year - Heidi Murkoff

Just finished Wasted by Marya Hornbacher. I love reading memoirs, and her 10+ year journey on the road of bulimia and anorexia was raw, honest, witty, and sad. I definitely give it 5 stars. I'd like to read Madness at some point.

Now I'm reading Every 9 Seconds. I used to watch the show Queer as Folk. Doesn't really compare to the show in terms of quality. It's more like reading fan fiction than an actual novel. The books are the teenage and college years of Brian and Michael, before the point you actually see in the show. I'll finish this book but I don't know if I'll read the other 2 books that are out.

Wish I could recommend chick lit but I haven't read any in such a long time. The last one was Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. Her books are geared towards women in our stages of life ...whatever that means heh. lol Maybe you will like her work if you haven't tried her already.

I finished Every 9 Seconds and now I've started Never Tear Us Apart, another Queer as Folk book. I have this filed under my "romance" folder on my Nook, except it's not heterosexual romance. It's a bit graphic. You've been warned. :haha: If you wouldn't watch the show, you wouldn't want to watch this either. On the flip side, if you liked the show, you'd probably like the book.

I second Emily Giffin as very decent chic lit. She's got chops as a writer. You can enjoy a good plot, but you aren't cringing at awful writing.
Similar to her are the team that did the Nanny Diaries - can't remember their names - sorry! They did another two: Citizen Girl and one about a girl who was the high school flame of a big pop star - again, cannot remember the title. Fun reads.

Reading Catching Fire in the Hunger Games series, love it!

Finished the Hunger Games trilogy, officially love the books. Now I'm reading the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, a story of a girl who was murdered by a neighbor and is watching her family up in heaven. I figure she's going to find a way to lead them to her murderer. It's so beautifully written. Probably not the best book to be reading in the anniversary month of a loved one who has passed, but hey, maybe it's going to be a way to help process things.

The lovely bones is a good book.I found it a sad in places

The Love Bones: I saw the movie which was very good. I am sure the book will be better. Sorry about your loved one. :( :hugs:

Finished the Lovely Bones. Got choked up so many times. I haven't been touched by a book like that in a very long time. What a wonderful book. So far, it's my favorite book this year.

Wow that's awesome. You read very fast! :) Do you have a books/yr goal? I think I'll do one for 2013. I read so slow. lol

I don't really have a goal. I just devour books. Hopefully that can continue when Baby Girl gets here!

I started reading The Help. I LOVE it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->