Hakuna Matata's Book Reviews

hakunamatata

Mommy to Ariana & Robert
Reaction score
2012 Books
A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin (in progress)
Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult
Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult
Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards
What to Expect the First Year - Heidi Murkoff (in progress)
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose (in progress)
Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen
Wasted - Marya Hornbacher
Every 9 Seconds - Joseph Brockton
Never Tear Us Apart - Quinn Brockton
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
The Secret Life of Bees* - Sue Monk Kidd
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fannie Flagg
The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer - Tracy Hogg (in progress)
The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon (in progress)

2011 Books
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon
Voyager - Diana Gabaldon
Harvesting the Heart - Jodi Picoult
Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon
The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon (in progress)
What to Expect When You're Expecting - Heidi Murkoff
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory* - Roald Dahl
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince* - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows* - JK Rowling

*books that I've read previously but had to read again because they are so darn good

I just finished reading Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult. I've read several books by this author, and I have to say that this wasn't one of my favorites. For starters, this was her second book, so I think that her writing style has truly evolved over time. Also, I didn't get attached to her characters the way I usually do with her other books. I have gotten so attached to other characters that I cry sometimes. This time, the characters mostly annoyed the crap out of me. There wasn't really a clear resolution at the end of the book, and let me tell you I don't like to be left hanging. (Imagine how I felt when I watched the end of the Sopranos. NOT a happy camper. Still annoyed, actually).

On the positive side, it does explore the feelings of a woman who is feeling trapped by motherhood and who feels extremely inadequate and ill-prepared for the task, which is also as a result of her being abandoned by her mom as a little girl. I could relate to the feelings of abandonment as my own father left me when I was little. It made me wonder if I myself could have those feelings of being trapped and confined when I do end up having my own LO.

Bottom line - the book would have probably been better if it had been written by current Jodi, not 1990's Jodi. I'd check out her other works instead.

Link to book on Jodi's site

I'm here! Good review. :) It's good to see how authors evolve. But I think it's more difficult to start with their great stuff and work your way south. The early stuff just becomes trash.
lol

Currently reading Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon. It's the fourth book in the Outlander series. I would best describe it as historical fiction with some romance. I've always been a fan of time travel, too, so I just love this series.

If this type of book interests you, start with the first book, Outlander.

Stolen from bn.com:

The year is 1945. Claire Randall is traveling with her husband when she touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is hurled back in time to a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord 1743. Catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, she soon realizes that an alliance with James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, might be the only way to survive. Thus begins a work of unrivaled storytelling that has become a modern classic.

Sounds like an awesome series! Cant wait to hear your review.

Also finished 19 Minutes.Thanks x10000000 for recommending. Great book!

Yay!!! So glad you liked it!

I won't be reviewing for a while... the book is 1,000 pages, and I have zero attention span when I'm on my break at work. Though I am a fifth of the way through, so we'll see!

Hugs! :hugs:

It took me a while, but I finally finished Drums of Autumn last night, and I've dived into the next book, The Fiery Cross, which is the fifth book in the series. It took me a while because I only tend to read a little bit before bed, and not because it was a slow book.

Drums of Autumn did not disappoint! I'm at the point where I'm unable to distinguish between the books and just feel like all the books in the series are just part of The Story. I just adore the characters. If I had to pick a favorite book so far, it'd probably be book two, Dragonfly in Amber, but again, it's all part of The Story so it's all great to read.

It's by far my favorite adult series. If you like historical fiction with a twist of fantasy along with some romance (tasteful, not tawdry), then you will like this series.

After this book I will be reading a Breath of Snow and Ashes and an Echo in the Bone. And wait, there's more! Another Outlander book will be coming out in 2012 or 2013, called Written in My Own Heart's Blood. I'm thrilled to pieces.

I won't say anymore other than read it and read it now. Begin with Outlander. Meet my two beloved characters Jamie and Claire. You'll be glad you did! :thumbup:

Ohhhhhhhhhh soooo tempting !

I am trying to compose my Reading list for the rest of the year. I kinda stalled out of summer reading a bit, but finished out w/ a bang. Your series actually has most the things I like fantasy, romance and history. I may just put it on my list! Although, I'm trying to shy away from series right now as I have a few other books I want to read. But w/ fantasy it becomes extremely hard to find a single book.

Thanks for the review. :)

Currently reading What to Expect When You're Expecting. I'm about 1/7 of the way through. It's a good little reference. The author has updated her book to reflect the 21st century we live in, which is nice. Always good to keep up with the times. I'm also learning some random information: you only need to increase your caloric intake beginning the second trimester, and even then, only by 300 calories. Also learning about which symptoms mean call the doctor the next day or call immediately (nothing like a healthy dose of fear to keep you going). Lots of other good info except I have baby brain at the moment, and I still have quite more to read.

I also like the What to Expect app on my phone. It breaks down day by day what's going on with the bean.

Thats awesome! I love that franchise.

Just bought a lot of 30 something pregnancy, parenting, and toddler books! Even though I'm still reading What to Expect When You're Expecting, I started reading Your Pregnancy Week by Week, and in the space of 15 minutes I managed to read about m/c four times, all in different sections!

I do realize that things can go wrong, but here I am not Googling that crap and here it is in my face!

Here's what I read in a short time:

- Chances of m/c are greater in the first trimester (already knew that, thanks for reminding me.)

- Chances of m/c are greater if you're overweight (thanks, again)

- Chances of m/c are greater if you have low folic acid levels (finally I can feel okay about what I'm reading because I've been taking a prenatal for months)

- Chances of m/c are greater with even 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day (another thing I don't have to worry about)

I think I've been extremely overly sensitive lately but this just bugs the crap out of me. I wanted to read about fetal development, not this stuff.

Once you skim over the scary stuff (which I already know about, didn't need reminders), there are some very cool pictures and developmental information. Being on week 7, it was nice to see a pic that showed the head and the arm and leg nubs. There's even a picture to scale, and it is in fact blueberry sized.

Awww it can be very annoying. I think it's good to skip over and keep the faith. fx for you and your LO. It's so nice to know where you are week by week.

Happy reading!

So because I was driving myself nuts with the pregnancy books, I decided to give them a rest. I returned to my childhood for a day and read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I can't wait to share my favorite books with my kid. So funny how when we are younger, certain books seem so much bigger. When I was a kid, I thought that was a "big" book.

Roald Dahl is a genius. He's by far my favorite author of children's books (I know that he's written books for adults too, but I've never actually read those). I can't wait to reread books like James & the Giant Peach, the Twits, etc. I'm also looking forward to rereading the E.B. White books such as Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little.

I've picked up the Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon again. I'm almost a third of the way through. Great series, never fails to deliver. Don't want to say too much & give anything away, especially for those who are on the first Outlander book, like Ms. Regalpeas :winkwink:

Excellent! I think that is one of the joys of the reader mother/parent being able to pass down the love of reading to your child. That's how my mother was with me. This is so exciting. Oh I've heard of Dahl being excellent. I want to check him out. Actually I feel there's so many books so little time. :)

I put down the Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon because it was just so... LONG.

I'm now rereading the Harry Potter books, currently on book 3. I love these books.

I've been trying to sneakil rent the movies online. lol Dh's regulating because the account is under his card. He's like "how many dang times can you watch Harry Potter?" Maybe that should be his hint for a Christmas gift, huh? lol

So have you finished the HP series or still reading? :)

Still reading! On book 6.

I have the series on blu ray on my wish list! Here's hoping that Santa comes through! :happydance:

:wohoo::xmas6: SANTA CAME THROUGH!! The package read "To 'Regal' from the Weasleys" :rofl: I've been watching the series since 6a this morning with some breaks to host family. I am totally stoked. #suchanerd.

I hope Santa came through for you too. :):hugs:

Did I ever ask you what's your favorite book and/or movie of the series? If not let's have it. :)

You having a Potterthon makes me smile. I'll have to have one too sometime soon!

I really like Hermione because she reminds me a lot of me when I was younger. I also love Dumbledore. He's compassionate yet fierce when he needs to be. And he's very wise.

On book 7. Spent a good amount of time reading today. I was feeling more social yesterday but today I don't really want to do anything but read.

Yes Hermione is splendid. She's a strong female protagonist and at first she takes herself a bit too seriously. I've been like that at time or seven.lol Also I was obsessed with getting good grades in school too. So I definitely relate to and enjoy Hermione and her growth through out the series

But my favorite is Ron. Ron is hilarious. And he's down to earth, but he's brave. I also love the Weasley family in general. :)

There's not too many characters I dislike, besides Voldermort especially when he was a teen. What a jerk! And what a coward as an adult.:growlmad:

I even get a chuckle out of the Malfoys and Bellatrix. Although many of Bellatrix's actions infuriated me time and time again!

Well have a good time finishing the last book. The book has so much more info than the movie (as usual). Wish I would have started with the books first.

I'm back reading Outlander again even though I didnt not finish my swap toss donate project. :shhh:I love the author's style of writing and the protagonist. Let's see where this will lead me. :)

Now I'm reading A Game of Thrones, the first book in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. I watched the first season last summer, and I was hooked on the show, so I figured I'd give the books a try. So far, the first book in this series is just as good as the show. I really can't wait for season 2, and I think these books will sustain me until that time comes.

A heads up - don't read too much of the Wiki links!! You'll come across spoilers! I scanned just enough and stopped before I read any information about the upcoming books. Dangerous :haha:

If you like fantasy, action, struggles for power, twisted situations, and compelling characters, then this is the book for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->