Hand, Foot and Mouth Diseases - do you think it'll affect chances?

squirrel.

Happy mummy of three
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My son has had a really bad case of Hand, Foot and Mouth disease the last few days. He caught it at nursery last Monday (loads of kids have it apparently). I think I may be catching it :( I know it's rare in adults, but I've checked with my mum and she confirmed that I never had it as a child/toddler. So the chances are, I could have easily caught it as he's been in my bed the last few nights coughing all over me!

I'm 5dpo and I was really hopeful earlier, as I started to feel a sore throat and thought it might be a good early PG sign, but now a fever has kicked in along with shivering, sore joints and heavy muscles. The sore throat is getting worse and I feel awful! I really do worry that it's Hand, Foot and Mouth.

My question is this: do you think it would affect a very early pregnancy if we conceived this month? I've read online that it shouldn't be dangerous to pregnant women, but that's women who already are pregnant. What about women who might be in the process of getting pregnant as the disease hits? If my egg had been fertilised then that would explain a lowered immune response to the virus, but I worry it could be the end of the fertilised egg if there is one - what with a fever and pathogens floating around. Such bad timing :( :( And I ovulated early this month - I was feeling vaguely positive about it all.

I know I'm speaking too soon and I should wait and see what happens, but it is a worry!

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

x

I don't want to read and run, I had it as a kid (on my feet) but I really don't have a definite answer for you.

Personally, I don't believe it could affect a pregnancy or your chances to conceive. That's really a question you'd have to ask your doctor.

My fingers are crossed that this is the month you get your BFP <3

Thanks Dottiee. If it develops into full Hand, Foot and Mouth then I'll go to the doctor and I'll ask them what they think. I'm still hoping it's some seperate illness.

x

Thanks Dottiee. If it develops into full Hand, Foot and Mouth then I'll go to the doctor and I'll ask them what they think. I'm still hoping it's some seperate illness.

x

If that's what it is, they'll want to give you antibiotics for it. Be sure to mention you may be pregnant because I do know certain antibiotics can be harmful to a baby.

My dd had hfm the week before I got my bfp if that helps! It's still early days for me and I've not had my 12 wk scan so I don't know for definite that all is ok. I also didn't contract it myself (as far as I know!) but she did have it mildly. Good luck! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->