Handy for ladies planning to BF (do I buy bottles?)

MrsTurner2012

Reaction score
I know these might not be for everyone but I thought they were handy
I plan to BF and have that dilemma of wether to buy bottles/steriliser/formula - just in case it doesn't work out.

Anyway I decided against getting all that stuff as to just buy as I need.

But then I saw these at the supermarket and they were a bargain... Think £3 for the both.

Makes me feel better than if BF doesn't work for us & he's starving in the middle of the night I have this as an emergency.

I know having it in the house will mean I am more likely to take the easy way out but its a chance ill have to take.

I managed to BF for 6 weeks with my son but then it got really painful and I couldn't go on so he was the a formula fed baby.

This time I want to persevere and I will have help on hand to help me through any BFing dark days!

Anyway... If you're having the 'do I buy bottles' dilemma then these could be the answer for you too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 21
Ooh thats good! My mum bought us a bottle set with the steriliser in just in case (plus the sterliser will come in handy anyway) but I'm not planning on having milk in the house. We have an ASDA literally next door so if she just will not feed I can send OH out. But, good to know they aren't really expensive as I'd probably get him to pick a few of those up till I could figure out brands etc.

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to breastfeed - my MIL keeps giving me horror stories about it and my OH's cousin had to give up cause of cracked nips so I'm starting to worry that I wont be able to!

Although - and this is pretty weird! I was in the bath the other day and some milk/white stuff (colostrum?) came out! Only a teeny bit but I was so happy that my boobs might work!

OH is convinced that all the time he spent playing with the nips will make me good at breastfeeding (lol!) although I still have to remind him that they aren't radio tuning knobs!

Hahaha! I keep looking at my nipples hoping they might start milking! Just to make me smile! Haha

You'll have to start using breastpads incase of any leaks.

Hopefully I can breastfeed until 6 months! That's the goal anyway.

DS1 had really bad colic and I blame bottles. So I was to steer clear for as long as I possibly can. And if I need bottles I plan on DR browns but they are 3 for £25! So expensive!
Longer I can put them off the better. Once he is that bit older i doubt ill need the expensive ones and can just use a cheaper brand.

Fingers crossed for us eh!!

I personnaly used bottles while i was breastfeeding ( i was expressing milk aswell ) as its easier out and about but didn used it until breastfeeding only was well established.
I think this is a good idea tho as we dont know if breastfeeding wil be the way baby is gonna get fed for sure..:flower:

I got this, just in case.

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/197%5C5051594002197%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

I ummed and ahhed about the ones in your post but then decided that the bottles were too big given that baby only needs to drink 10ml per feed with their tiny tummies.

Hoping to be a successful breast feeder :thumbup:

I personnaly used bottles while i was breastfeeding ( i was expressing milk aswell ) as its easier out and about but didn used it until breastfeeding only was well established.
I think this is a good idea tho as we dont know if breastfeeding wil be the way baby is gonna get fed for sure..:flower:

I want to try and stay away from bottles as much as poss due to the colic issue I had.

I ended up with post natal depression because it got so bad and I couldn't deal with it.

I'm not planning on expressing. I know it stops hubby and family taking over but I can always change my mind if it gets too much.

Will see how everything goes!

I got this, just in case.

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/197%5C5051594002197%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

I ummed and ahhed about the ones in your post but then decided that the bottles were too big given that baby only needs to drink 10ml per feed with their tiny tummies.

Hoping to be a successful breast feeder :thumbup:

That's a good little kit Sue... Where did you get that from?

It was in Boots! But they're also in big supermarkets. SMA, and Aptimil also do one I believe.

It was about a tenner I think? Can't remember lol

That's good!

I didn't know such things existed! Been a long time since I did this last!

I'm gonna stick with the one I have... It'll last one feed then I can go out n buy whatever I need to if I have to before the next feed is due

If you plan to BF, but need to feed baby other than from the boob for the first few days (whether expressed colostrum/milk or formula), the best thing to do is to cup or syringe feed. Not to say these are a horrible idea, but the whole point is to get your baby used to an artificial teat (from the formula manufacturer's perspective, so that you are encouraged to bottle feed). My daughter didn't latch for 6 days because she was born early and very sleepy. I expressed colostrum and supplemented with a small amount of formula, all fed from a cup. It's recommended not to introduce a teat in the first few days if you're hoping to breastfeed and the midwives were more than happy to provide us with cups and syringes. If you aren't planning to BF, then there's no harm in buying these. But you don't need them and if you're hoping to BF, then a cup is infinitely better for your baby.

I got some and I hid them away in the closet it would be a journey to get them out my closets packed with baby stuff...hopefully I won't need them...and if I do there breast feeding bottles with a pump so if she won't take the boob I'll have to try expressing.

I got some bottles and a sterilizer, even though I am planning on BF.

There's the main reason of that it could just end up not working. I know it can be a difficult process to get a hang of. There's also variables of not producing enough (or at all), or of what is produced doesn't have the nutrition it should. If one of these should happen, a bottle will be in the baby's bag and hubby will run to the store to get some formula (if hospital doesn't provide).

But also, if I do succeed in BFing, eventually I'll be pumping as well for easier feedings while I work (no maternity leave for this momma). Or so his daddy can do a feeding once in a while. So I'll need bottles for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->