Harmony (Down Syndrome) Test

HPmum2B

Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to write a little post about the Harmony blood test (similar to the Panorama test). Really, just to make people aware of it and to give my opinion.

From what I understand this is a relatively new test, and will be rolled out across the NHS in 2018. It is already available privately (in the UK) but costs between £400 and £600.

The test is called a screening test (not a diagnostic), however, from what I have read it is very very accurate. Results are either Low risk (1 in 10000) or High risk (99 in 100). I don't believe there is anything in between.

The test is non invasive prenatal testing (also known as NIPT), unilke an amnio. There is no associated risk of miscarriage.

The way it works is it looks for fragments of the babies DNA from the mothers blood, and uses that to check the DNA make up of the baby.

My personal experience:
My age related risk of down syndrome was 1 in 800. However, after my 12 week scan and blood test, I was given a 1 in 263 risk. This is still classed as low risk, but I was quite worried about it. I started to google too much and found myself worrying about it constantly. I was not sleeping well at night and really not enjoying my pregnancy.

In the end, I decided to go and get the blood test done. £400 later and I felt so much better. Even before I got my results, just knowing I was going to know made me feel better about it all.
Thankfully, my results came back 1 in 10000, and I can now enjoy my pregnancy again. It really is the best £400 I have ever spent!!

I had this test also! Came back at a very low risk for any genetic defects AND we got to find out the gender at 13 weeks! It only cost $117 USD for us because I was classified high risk being over 35. WELL worth it.

I had this back in Dec of 2012 bc of a risk at 1:11 for Trisomy 13 and 18. Was so happy to have an option that didn't have any risks for baby. Back then, the only one available was the MaterniT21; glad more companies are now offering this test so it's more widely available. Hope the costs come down for you all in the UK. And, yes, for me too it was one of the best decisions I made.

It's a great test! I don't partake in the blood testing for genetic diseases but mine was offered at 11 weeks for $20, I believe. It's amazing how far medicine has come.

I think in the states it can be a lot cheaper, because I believe the blood taken in the UK is being sent to San Jose, in Cali. My blood was actually sent to a lab in London, but I noticed lots of companies are still sending it to the states. Simply because there are not many labs set up for it.

We paid for the nifty test before Xmas, results back within seven days including Xmas bank holidays. It cost £450 privately and they said it was sent to China

I had NIFTY for my first son because he had a high NT measurement and then decided to do it again for this pregnancy because the piece of mind was really worth it for us.

I really enjoy the test and peace of mind from the results. It's great that there is no risk to the baby. I've had 4 different nipt's done on separate pregnancies. Harmony, panorama, verifi, and counsyl. The reason it's a screening and not diagnostic is because it's the DNA from the placenta. It's not as accurate as an amniocentesis since that is taking DNA from the baby and not placenta. it is as accurate as a chorionic villi test, but of course without the chance of mc.

I had it done and loved it too! I paid $130 for it. Insurance didn't cover it but the lab took care of most of the cost (originally $3600) and i only had to pay $130. Definitely worth the peace of mind!

It's available in our area now but the NHS don't cover the costs I think they said £450 here, if my combined screening had come back high risk I definitely would have gone for it, I think knowledge is a good thing.

My insurance covered it bc I'm 35, and I'm glad we had it done as it showed decreased risk levels for my age, plus we got to find out the gender early! This test is a great reassurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->