Has anyone else not cared about what foods they "can't eat"?

This thread had just made me sooo hungry!! I've been quite good the whole time, although haven't completely cut stuff out, but after reading this thread now I just want to eat brie and pate and sushi and runny eggs!!!!

Yep, I'm way more lenient this time around. Last pregnancy had me microwaving deli meat, burning my scrambled eggs, etc. This time I've eaten pretty much anything I felt like, with the exception of super rare steaks ( I usually take them still cold in the middle) and cake batter with raw eggs.

But if you're an avid baker like I am, you can find ways around not being able to lick the bowl b/c of the raw eggs. I make my cake mixes with one can of sprite instead of the eggs/water/milk/oil/etc. :thumbup:

Oh totally going off topic but please tell me more about this sprite idea...? I love love love to bake. :) xx
I've only not ate pate or drank any alcohol. I would never tell another lady what to eat or drink, it's their business. Have loved tuna the whole way through. :) xx

I have on the whole been quite good. I used to love a drink, but have only had a very, very occasional tiny glass of wine, and tbh, haven't missed it as much as I thought I would. I have had pate at christmas (from a lovely restaurant) and had one runny egg - however I was sick not long after having it, which scared me and put me off. I have had BAKED camenbert, but nothing like stilton etc. I have avoided shellfish, but have had deli meat like usual - in fact at no point during my preg was I told not to have this. I have also upped my steaks from rare to medium with no blood, which is one thing that I HAVE missed!

on this topic i've got to say i'm fed up with other people monitoring or telling you what you can and can't have. it's happened to me so many times, i went to japanese with a gf the other day and she said, oh but you can't have sushi! i said, actually i can! but why should i have to defend myself anyway? it's especially annoying from men or women who've never been pregnant. so rude!

It's funny how a pregnant woman's body becomes public property, isn't it?! Complete strangers will so easily tell you what they think you shouldn't have, yet they won't dare say anything to a mother feeding her children junk food and sodas all day long. I just don't get it!!

After talking with my doctor, I made conscious decisions about what I'd eat.

I eat sushi, probably once or twice a month- but I make sure that it comes out of how much fish I'm allowed to consume, because I *am* concerned about mercury. But fish is a great food for a baby's brain, and sushi is one of my favorite ways to eat fish! All sushi fish in the US is flash-frozen to protect against parasites, and it's quite safe. I just make sure to eat only at the places I know well, where their chefs are professionally trained and insane about cleanliness. But your chances of getting sick from sushi are lower than your chances of getting food poisoning by eating out at some crappy chain restaurant where cleanliness and hygiene procedures aren't always followed to a T.

Sometimes I have a small glass of wine, or a few sips of my husband's drink. Again, after consulting my doctor and reading studies and research. I used to be a big wine drinker, we had it at least twice a week with dinner, but now it's once maybe twice a month?

I eat some soft cheeses, but only if they've been pasteurized. My friend gets "underground" cheese that's unpasteurized and one of those gourmet things, and it's absolutely delicious, but I gave that up, since it seemed like too big of a risk. Even though I keep craving this particular local goat cheese, it's been one of my biggest pregnancy cravings, but I don't feel safe having it.

I eat lunch meat without putting it in the microwave. I'm not a big eater of deli meat, but I'm not concerned about listeria. I was at first, but then there was an outbreak of listeria in my area- on spinach leaves. I'm not about to go around microwaving every freakin' thing I put in my mouth, and the chances of a pregnant woman in the US contracting listeria are .0125%- which is a risk I'm perfectly okay with.

My sister was a researcher on a study about the effects of caffeine and miscarriage, so I did avoid caffeine in the first trimester- she was pretty adamant I avoid it, and so I did. But after I hit the second trimester, I would occasionally have a cup of coffee or tea. I try not to have too much. If it wasn't for my sister, I probably wouldn't have cut out ALL caffeine.

I cut out diet sodas, which I used to drink all of the time, even though there aren't conclusive studies on whether or not they're harmful to the fetus. It just made me feel better to cut it out, even if there isn't hard facts backing up my distrust of artificial sweeteners.

I eat what I'm comfortable with. It's my body, it's my choices about what goes into it.

I have had the odd sip of wine and drink the odd cup of black tea, but I have made sure eggs are done properly and not eaten any soft cheese with rind or cured meats/smoked fish!

I've been good about everything except cold cooked meats, which is just because I cannot possibly just eat cheese sandwiches for lunch throughout an entire pregnancy! Also I didn't realise I wasn't meant to eat cold cooked meat until I was about 30 weeks pregnant. I have avoided the pates and alcohol and so on, but mainly because I'd never forgive myself if I ended up with some sort of poisioning and hurt the baby. That said, the risk is sooooooooooo minimal I was tempted to eat e.g. Camenbert and Brie. But I didn't. Oh and obviously with alcohol it's the risk of foetal alcohol syndrome that I worry about :)

when my mum was pregnant with my brother she was anemic & the Dr told her to drink half a pint of guiness a day :rofl: that was only 22 yrs ago as well!! xxx

my sister would have a cup of guiness occassionally too and this was like last year, it made me want to gag blech!

i think i've pretty much had everything i'm not supposed to, lol but i try to keep it in moderation even though it is hard. The thought of getting sick from a runny egg or soft cheese made me worry more than having some wine for some reason. I felt like a hypocrite at brunch that I wouldn't eat eggs benedict but would have a mimosa.

Diet soda has been the hardest to give up, i try not to keep it in the house and treat myself only to it when I go out to dinner

I've been pretty lax about the " can't have this or that " list because honestly like someone else said, you can get Listerosis from so many things, to single out just cold lunch meat :shrug: I do make sure if I get a deli sandwich that it's from a place that has fast turnaround for their meat so it's not been sitting out forever and a day, but really I've been such a picky eater this pregnancy about the only thing I really WANT to eat is fruit, so I just make sure everything is washed well and buy organic when I can :thumbup:

I couldn't bring myself to drink any alcohol if you paid me, there just hasn't been enough research done on how much is too much and where is that line you cross and your baby ends up with FAS.. Just not worth it to me for an occasional glass of wine vs living with the guilt for the rest of my life :shrug:

it is amazing how many things have changed just in the 2 years between pregnancies it really kind of puts you in the mind frame of well that was fine to eat two years ago and hang on that was a big no no before so what now its ok!?! lol

i have stuck to the obvious, alcohol, being around smokers, not too much caffiene, runny eggs, soft cheese and liver - not that that one is hard to distance myself from lol

i have been eating prawns but i have defrosted them myself, deli meats were not on the list last time i was pregnant so that one can get lost and medium steak is back on the menu lol - funnily enough i dont want it so much this time round lol

when my mum was pregnant with my brother she was anemic & the Dr told her to drink half a pint of guiness a day :rofl: that was only 22 yrs ago as well!! xxx

my sister would have a cup of guiness occassionally too and this was like last year, it made me want to gag blech!

I have low iron too, I could so go for a cold Guiness right about now :)

i can't/coundlnt stay away from Jimmy JOhns! Sub sandwiches... and they say not to eat cold lunch meat!

but i have caved!

I also have a soda every no n then

I had a major aversion to tea and coffee in 1st trimester, so that took care of that little issue for me. I can stomach them again now though.
I think the only thing I've conciously avoided has been pate.
For the rest, I've either not wanted it (shellfish) or made exceptions. I still have steak medium rare, I had the odd runny egg etc.
Oh, I made sure to check for pasturised feta/goats cheese etc. It's not a huge deal to find those in the supermarket and should be safe.

Funnily enough, the only thing I was warned away from was unwashed raw veggies.

i ve avoided alcohol and fags. I used to be quite the cocktail drinker at weekends and if i was too stressed to sleep i'd have a glass of wine in the week. I smoked 10-15 fags a day but since my pregnancy that ended in m/c in august 2010 i behaved myself. But thats it.

I dont like soft/mould ripened cheeses, liver pate and all the other random stuff thats on the ''forbidden'' list. I live on runny egg sarnies and guess what? They DONT have the red lion stamp on them because they come from my mums chickens which i know r vaccinated and r well cared for. I eat ice cream off the ice cream van and i eat mc flurries from maccy d's! Oh also looove tuna and eat plenty.

Its like i say to people who fuss about what pregnant ladies can or cant eat, use your common sense. If the chicken is pink and bleeding u wouldnt eat it as a non pregnant person so y would u whilst pregnant? Its just about making good decisions. E.coli salmonella and listeriosis is dangerous for everyone not just us preggies.

This pregnancy i've survived 2 kidney infections, swine flu, pluracy, noro-virus and now an abcess under my wisdom tooth so i think me n bubs will be just fine.

I haven't cut anything out of my diet at all. Of course, everything in moderation :)

I've had hotdogs, medium rare steak, sushi, salami, runny eggs, deli meats.... I've got lots.

The only guilty pleasure i've had really is a couple of runny eggs when i was around 4 months pregnant. I don't eat shellfish or anything like that, and i dislike blue cheeses also. I haven't drank any alcohol - though I have got two bottles of white wine which were wedding presents from when hubby and I got married in February....they're chilling nicely in the cupboard until the end of August, when i'll be able to enjoy them :) xx

a few of u have mentioned diet pop? Whats wrong with this? I've been drinking diet coke since day 1 :shrug: no one ever told me this was ''bad''. Aside from it being pop and some jargon about co2 in the bloodstream but lately my biggest craving has been dr pepper. I try and keep it minimal but i fail miserably. Squash has suddenly started making me projectile vomit (sorry gross i know)

a few of u have mentioned diet pop? Whats wrong with this? I've been drinking diet coke since day 1 :shrug: no one ever told me this was ''bad''. Aside from it being pop and some jargon about co2 in the bloodstream but lately my biggest craving has been dr pepper. I try and keep it minimal but i fail miserably. Squash has suddenly started making me projectile vomit (sorry gross i know)

they just don't have any research regarding how aspartame or sacchrin could affect the baby, so they just say to avoid it. but my dr. said it was ok just don't guzzle it all day every day, i mean we're supposed to be drinking more water than anything anyways so I try to stick to mostly water but I have about 3 cups of diet soda a week

I follow all the guide lines rigorously, but I make myself panic with worry about if I've eaten something dodgy all the time. Like today, I used butter that had been in my fridge two months and was a couple of days past best before...I only cooked with it, but am now freaking. Didn't look at the date, but DH pointed out am probably going to send myself loopy with worry!

Its probably better to be relaxed about it, than the worry wart I am-but there are definitely some things I'd avoid, even if I was less worried!!

As for the lady who mentioned people commenting, ugh that's so rude! I had someone tell me I couldn't eat a cornetto! What?! Why?? She said it had too much sugar!! Why is it being preg gives people green lights o say what they want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->