Has anyone ever had a "Saline Sonohysterography" done? *Final update of test pg.3*

so, my saline sonohystergram is different than a hycosy? I wonder if they were able to see my tubes when they did my saline sonohystergram. I wish there was just one test that checked for everything. I hate exposing myself. I just want to be pregnant already so I don't have to go through anymore.

So I know this is an old thread that I started a few months ago but I just wanted to do an update!!!:thumbup:

I finally got the courage up and scheduled the Saline Sonohysterography for Thursday 01/05/2012 afternoon . I am nervous about it but I realize it is a necessary evil to get me one step closer to scheduling my first IUI. DH is taking the day off to go with me to the appointment. When I did my HSG it was pretty ruff on me so I want DH to be with me in case I need him to drive me, with the HSG I had really painful cramping during the procedure and I threw up after it was done, But i am hoping that this procedure will be alot easier than the HSG was!!! As I previously mentioned the DR wants to get a closer look at a bump that is on one side of my uterus to see what it is that showed up in my X-Ray on my HSG that I had previously. I am hoping that I wont need to have it surgically removed and that I will be able to move forward with the IUI after I do this last test. I am going to have to wait on hubby's tax return to come in so we can afford to pay for our first round of IUI, so hopefully that will be happening soon.

I will do an update after I have the procedure done tomorrow and let you girls know how the saline sono went and what the outcome is!! Wish me luck!!:winkwink:

Okay, so just got home from the fertility DR's and had the saline sonohysterography. It wasnt to bad, DH was able to be in the room with me. They also had a student nurse observing the process along with the DR and nurse that was assisting, so it was like 3 people looking at my junk and DH in the room as well. I asked DH after if he felt awkward and of course he did, LOL, but I was thankful he was there to support me and take away some ofmy fears. The worst part was when the DR was trying to find the right size speculum and had to change it to a smaller one and than had to switch the size catherter to a smaller one that was used to fill up my uterus with the saline solution. It was like a dull unpleasant cramping well they were doing this part and than i felt like I needed to pee. The cramps were like long unpleasant AF type cramps that just went on for a while and I did say ouch a few times, but it was alot less painful than the HSG was. Once she had the saline solution in and was done filling the uterus with saline the pain almost all went away. They used the dildo cam wand thing to do an ultrasound once my uterus was filled with saline.

So the DR saw the bump on the side of my uterus that showed up on the HSG X-ray and confirmed that it was a fibroid and she didnt seem to think it was going to be a problem, But she discovered a new problem, a polyp which is causing blockage and is definatly of concern on the inside of my uterus as well. She showed me on the computer screen and on a printed up picture of the sonogram as well. I am having some light spotting with pink and light brown blood after the procedure with some like chunky pieces of tissue type discharge as well, and I have on a pad on now. I have a little bit of cramping after the procedure but it isnt anything that I am not used to and is minimal.

So after the procedure was done DH and me met with the DR in an office to discuss our options. The DR wants me to have a hysteroscopy to have the polyp surgically removed and offered me the option to do a laparoscopy at the same time to try to reopen the one tube of mine that might possibly be blocked, which we discovered previously during my HSG. I will have to be sedated and under anethesia for both procedures.

The hysteroscopy is less invasive and has a quicker recovery time though, they can just go in through the cervix and into the uterus to cut away the polyp. If I do the laparascopy than I have to have incisions cut into my belly and it will be a longer recovery time, but it could unblock my other tube. I am undecided if I want to do the laparascopy at this time because I know it will be a more painful recovery, and I also know that i can still do the IUI with only one open tube, so it is not a necessary thing, But at the same time I know if I have 2 open tubes it will increase my chances of getting pregnant. So, I have a couple of things to think about, like how much will our out of pocket cost be after my insurance pays so I have to figure out how and when we would be able to afford one of the procedures or both of them.

I also am not thrilled with going through with the laparascopy since I dont know for sure if my one tube is blocked or not, or if it just spasmed during the HSG and that was why the dye didnt go through. I am not sure if there is a less invasive way to verify if the one tube is blocked for sure or not before I go and cut into my belly for this procedure or not??

So long story short, I am upset with the results because the thought of surgery is pretty scary. I am also shocked to know that all of this time me and DH have been TTC month after month to find out that our efforts were pointless because this polyp is causing a blockage in my uterus, so all of my tears and heart ache month after month were in vain. :cry: Than trying to be able to afford the surgery will push back our ability to have the IUI because the $$ we would of used to pay for that will most likely get eaten up by the costs of my surgery so now I am going to have to wait even longer.... sigh.. this is not the news I was hoping for girls....:cry:

Well at least I know what we need to do next, but I am trying to rap my head around the news that i just got still and psych myself up for surgery...ugghhhhhh....Blah....:wacko: I am not even gooing to worry about TTC now until I can do the surgery because it is pretty much pointless until than. So I guess I will be on a break from TTC for a while.... sigh....:nope:

glad you got through the procedure ok! i was scared too when my doc wanted me to have a lap & dye done, but looking back it wasn't so bad and recovery time was a about a week. After insurance, I paid $1500.00 for the surgery. I live in TX, don't know if you're in the states or not. The surgery really isn't that bad, one of my friends has had 3 done! If you search lap & dye on this site, me and some other girls have shared our surgery stories, read them and i'm sure they'll ease your mind!

I had that done today too..they found my uterus is so retroverted its falling back on itself i need yo go back in February to have it done while sedated x

wannabepreggo-sorry to hear about your results, but at least now you know why your having trouble conceiving, not that that makes it any easier i know. I have a large fibroid that was confirmed distorting the shape of my uterus with that procedure so it make me question where and if yours was as well? I thought the only way to see a fibroid on that procedure was if it was bulging in to the cavity, but idk. You should really question them on that as well. I was told for 2 years that my fibroid wasn't a problem and now we have confirmed it is. I have to have a laproscopic myomectomy now. I know surgery is scary but it would be easier to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting the laproscopy and opening up your blocked tube. Could they not tell if both your tubes were open with this procedure? My saline showed my tubes open. Definitely question everything though!

wannabepreggo-sorry to hear about your results, but at least now you know why your having trouble conceiving, not that that makes it any easier i know. I have a large fibroid that was confirmed distorting the shape of my uterus with that procedure so it make me question where and if yours was as well? I thought the only way to see a fibroid on that procedure was if it was bulging in to the cavity, but idk. You should really question them on that as well. I was told for 2 years that my fibroid wasn't a problem and now we have confirmed it is. I have to have a laproscopic myomectomy now. I know surgery is scary but it would be easier to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting the laproscopy and opening up your blocked tube. Could they not tell if both your tubes were open with this procedure? My saline showed my tubes open. Definitely question everything though!

Thank you for the kind words and support girls!!! :hugs::flower:

@Teddybearpug, I was wondering why the DR didnt suggest I remove the fibroid along with the polyp as part of my hysteroscopy, and I think i am going to have to ask her some questions and give her a call soon. I am worried that the fibroid could also be contributing to my infertility as well. I also wanted to know if there was a less invasive procedure to verify if the one tube was for sure blocked before I go and get my belly cut open in the lap?? The Dr thought that maybe the tube could of spasmed during the HSG and that it might be closed or it could actually be open. :shrug: I hate to go through surgery based on a "maybe".. :wacko:

Good luck with your myomectomy, I hope it goes well, and that you have a quick and pain free recovery!!!:hugs::hugs: Hopefully we will both be getting our BFP's soon after all of this crap we have to go through..... :flower:.....

glad you got through the procedure ok! i was scared too when my doc wanted me to have a lap & dye done, but looking back it wasn't so bad and recovery time was a about a week. After insurance, I paid $1500.00 for the surgery. I live in TX, don't know if you're in the states or not. The surgery really isn't that bad, one of my friends has had 3 done! If you search lap & dye on this site, me and some other girls have shared our surgery stories, read them and i'm sure they'll ease your mind!

Thanks for the suggestion and for sharing your story with me, :thumbup:I will look this up on B&B and read about other girls stories...

I am glad your experience wasnt to bad. I do have health insurance to pay for the surgery but I have a 350 deductible and my plan pays 85% so I will have a 15% that I have to pay so I am going to have the DR's office do a work up to calculate the out of pocket costs for me before I have this stuff done.

I had a lap and dye done at the start of November. For the results you will get it will be worth it. How is the doc proposing to unblock it by laparoscopy?? Is he going to insert something into the tube?? I would check this with him, as what's the point in trying the dye again without any other instrument.

At my lap we discovered I had a blocked tube (they didn't try and unblock) the other one is fine, also I had a little endo. Anyway, whether its blocked or it spasmed I'm giving myself a few months ttc before I go for another op. I'm potentially going for an HSG with tubal cannulation/catheterization (not as big an op as lap). This will unblock it if it is blocked. TBH if I could have had everything done at once I would have. If you don't try and unblock it you could potentially have another op after. A lap can also show if you have endo or not, a lot of women have it and don't know, scans don't show it. For docs the lap is a straight forward op, they don't see it as a big deal like we do. I think the lap would be thorough, but its something you need to be happy about x

I had a lap and dye done at the start of November. For the results you will get it will be worth it. How is the doc proposing to unblock it by laparoscopy?? Is he going to insert something into the tube?? I would check this with him, as what's the point in trying the dye again without any other instrument.

At my lap we discovered I had a blocked tube (they didn't try and unblock) the other one is fine, also I had a little endo. Anyway, whether its blocked or it spasmed I'm giving myself a few months ttc before I go for another op. I'm potentially going for an HSG with tubal cannulation/catheterization (not as big an op as lap). This will unblock it if it is blocked. TBH if I could have had everything done at once I would have. If you don't try and unblock it you could potentially have another op after. A lap can also show if you have endo or not, a lot of women have it and don't know, scans don't show it. For docs the lap is a straight forward op, they don't see it as a big deal like we do. I think the lap would be thorough, but its something you need to be happy about x

Thank you for sharing your story with me.. Good luck to you hun!!! I hope you get your BFP soon!!! :dust: :dust: I am going to ask my DR some more questions before I make a final decision as well. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->