Has anyone here ever had an amniocentesis?

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
What was your experience? And i want details!
How bad did it hurt and what results were you getting?

I'm having a list of health issues which is concerning my OB so much that she is warranting my induction at 38 weeks instead of 39 like we planned :cry:

So I'm booked on Feb 9th to get an amniocentesis to make sure LOs lungs are mature and if they are then i will be induced that day.

Also, one last question...how likely is it that my babys lungs will be mature when I get the amnio?

Obviously, this is not how I would want things to go...of course i would want to go natural :cry::cry::cry:

Doesnt' hurt at all. I had an amnio for the same reasons - to see if the lungs were mature. I had it done at 37 weeks and they weren't mature!! they were off by .2 points or something, so waited until the next week for my c-section (38 weeks) I guess they matue by .1 each day, so a week later, the doc. said it would be fine.

It doesn't hurt at all - more just nervous beforehand. They clean your stomach, use an u/s to see where they are getting the fluid from. . once they find a good pocket of fluid the needle goes in. My high risk doc. did the test while the u/s tech kept the u/s 'wand' on my stomach. . we saw the baby the entire time. The only risk is that it can cause your water to break right away, so you go into labor right then and there. . and if thelungs aren't mature, then your baby is at risk, etc. But, by 38 weeks, you should be fine.
Also, it didn't hurt - just feels like a pin prick. Very weird sensation though, but only takes 5 min.
Don't worry!!!!!!!

Wow, thank you so much for the information tennismom.

Was your belly in pain when they sent you home?

doesnt really hurt anymore than what an IV stick feels like. the only thing I felt afterwards was a stinging feeling at sight I was stuck with the needle.

I had the amnio at 16 weeks and it wasn't as bad as i thought.
Here is what I wrote then...
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...61-amniocentesis-tomorrow-am-terrified-2.html

nope, wasn't in pain at all when I went home. But, that night I felt kind of crampy and sore where the needle went in. The next day I felt fine!
Good luck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->