hates formula

kookie

pregnant with no 4
Reaction score
Tyler absolutely will not take it what i was wondering is how much earlier can they have cows milk or does it have to be exactly 12 months?

People will always argue this...

Brayden weaned himself off the boob at 4 months, then we tried formula, and he was good and eating really good till he hit 6 months, and then he just stopped wanting it. He was on normal milk by 6 months, and was perfectly fine.

Dan was on normal milk from 5 months!!! I know I am bad but he is a very healthy, active 10 year old now, as for Dec he did go off formula at about 81/2 months but because he had a few problems and had lost weight I had to fight with him to keep him on it, now at 10 months he seems happy to take it (well with a few ozs of full-fat milk mixed in it).

I'd wait to one, the problems of giving babies milk too young don't show until older. Their stomachs are not ready for it, you can cause gut problems. Maybe try mixing formula in with food?

I'd wait to one, the problems of giving babies milk too young don't show until older. Their stomachs are not ready for it, you can cause gut problems. Maybe try mixing formula in with food?
i honestly dont think it'd make a difference in his food thanks anyway.

Carley is right, you should wait until at least 12 months. Baby will drink the cows milk because they like it and will appear to have no problems. If there are any problems they will become apparent in later life, Some babies guts react badly to cows milk and this becomes a problem in later life with illness's such as chrone's disease.

Perhaps try another formula??

they need formula until 12 months old due to the high vitamin and mineral + calorie content, formula is nutritionally superior 2 cow milk x

Thanks girls i guess i'll keep breastfeeding which i love doing so i dont mind its just hurting so bad at the moment coz hes biting now he as 4 teeth little bugger.

Are you trying regular formula or follow on? Maybe it'll make a difference

I hate the be the odd one out but me and my other 2 siblings were all on cows milk at 6 months and are absolutey healthy, also everyone before us did too. I dont think id wait till 6 months to put lily on it but I think I might try her around 9 or 10 months, but then again I might change my mind, every mums different! x

What are you doing to tackle the biting? What worked for me was putting Kaya down and not letting her feed for a minute when she bit. The other thing I found worked was going back to brushing her lips with my nipple until she started sticking her tongue out to try and latch on, this works because they can't actually bite when they are feeding because the tongue covers the bottom teeth. Once they get the message not to bite, you should only have a problem once they start teething again lol.

I had the exact same problem with Tom. I had to give up BF him at 8 months suddenly as I developed blood blisters on both nipples and aside from being agony, he was coughing up the blood. Yuk!

Anyway I tried everything and I mean everything! to get him to take formula. I spent a fortune on bottles and cups, we went through every formula (powder and ready-mixed), I tried mixing it with his food, spoon feeding him it... I could go on. People said "don't worry he'll drink it when he realises he won't get milk anywhere else". Ummm... noo he won't!

It was an awful time. Really upsetting for me, especially as everyone was insisting he couldn't have cows milk. Anyway, I had a really good chat with my HV and she said that it was fine as long as he had a good diet (which he did) with plenty of iron in. He was always a great eater, but I upped his oily fish intake to be sure. We had plenty of milky foods like cheese sauces and rice pud and yoghuts. I also gave him Abidec vitamin supplements.

In the end I just thought... cows milk is better than no milk at all. Why worry. He's a perfectly happy little boy otherwise, he eats brilliantly well and there were never any concerns about his growth or anything. 90% of us (of a certain age maybe) were given cows milk by this time anyway and yeah... maybe we were at greater risk of some allergy or disease later in life but how many of us actually got it? I think it would potentially cause more harm not getting any milk at all.

Same thing happened with Carly , she stopped formula milkat nine months , nothing would get her to try it , every formula, follow on anything she just wouldnt drink !
I had to hide it in certain foods and she would take it then but still screwed her face up when she could really taste it.

I went to my docs and he suggested things , i cant wuite remember what mine said but have a talk with yours :)

I had the exact same problem with Tom. I had to give up BF him at 8 months suddenly as I developed blood blisters on both nipples and aside from being agony, he was coughing up the blood. Yuk!

Anyway I tried everything and I mean everything! to get him to take formula. I spent a fortune on bottles and cups, we went through every formula (powder and ready-mixed), I tried mixing it with his food, spoon feeding him it... I could go on. People said "don't worry he'll drink it when he realises he won't get milk anywhere else". Ummm... noo he won't!

It was an awful time. Really upsetting for me, especially as everyone was insisting he couldn't have cows milk. Anyway, I had a really good chat with my HV and she said that it was fine as long as he had a good diet (which he did) with plenty of iron in. He was always a great eater, but I upped his oily fish intake to be sure. We had plenty of milky foods like cheese sauces and rice pud and yoghuts. I also gave him Abidec vitamin supplements.

In the end I just thought... cows milk is better than no milk at all. Why worry. He's a perfectly happy little boy otherwise, he eats brilliantly well and there were never any concerns about his growth or anything. 90% of us (of a certain age maybe) were given cows milk by this time anyway and yeah... maybe we were at greater risk of some allergy or disease later in life but how many of us actually got it? I think it would potentially cause more harm not getting any milk at all.
i might have a chat with my HV see what i can do thanks for your help.

What are you doing to tackle the biting? What worked for me was putting Kaya down and not letting her feed for a minute when she bit. The other thing I found worked was going back to brushing her lips with my nipple until she started sticking her tongue out to try and latch on, this works because they can't actually bite when they are feeding because the tongue covers the bottom teeth. Once they get the message not to bite, you should only have a problem once they start teething again lol.
im trying everything and he seems to have stopped but i have sores from it which is so painful to feed him i guess they'll heal. thanks

It's different if it is in food (mashed potatoes, custard) but drinking it, that's a whole different ball game.

It's different if it is in food (mashed potatoes, custard) but drinking it, that's a whole different ball game.
I know its different than drinking it but im not gonna ruin his food by putting something he dislikes in it like formula i mean have you tasted the crap?:sick:

A friend of mine uses Aptimil formula, it's suppossed to be the closest to breast milk. Thought i'd mention it, worth a try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->