Have I overpacked?

Willow87

Reaction score
LOL yes I am 40 weeks and 1 day and have JUST finished packing my bag.

My bag:

1 labouring/birth tshirt
1 loose tank top if I have a water birth
1 nightie for after I'm finished.
A pair of loose trousers

going home outfit-leggings, jumper and tank top.
small makeup bag
like 15 maternity pads
5 disposable undies
4 pair of primark massive undies
3 days worth of breastpads
towel
toiletries-all travel sizes- deoderent for me and hubby, toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, shower gel for hubby, nipple cream, arnica tablets, bottom spray.
boxers, socks and 2 tops for hubby and his swim shorts if I have a water birth

snacks: 2 little bags of peanut butter granola bars and 4 bottles of orange isotonic sports drinks 2 bags of wotsits. :blush:

Baby bag-

cardigan
3 sleepsuits
3 vests
2 hats
2 pairs of scratch mitts
10 diapers
pack of wipes
cotton wools
washcloth
blanket
muslin cloths

and obvs a car seat.

Is this all too much? what can I do without? The reason for slightly over packing is because we don't drive. We will be taking a taxi there.

Oh and are you guys taking a pillow? I don't see why I would need a pillow..

I also don't know how long i'll be in the hospital for...

I'm sure if I give birth in the birthing centre, then I will be kicked out in less then 6 hours.

However if I am induced, I'm guessing I will be there longer? ugh idk I'm anxiety lol.

So all in all I have 2 bags. My small suitcase and the baby bag.

I'm taking a lovely comfy long pillow. Depends on how easily you get uncomfortable at the moment

id recomend taking your own pillow and a water spray bottle for labour

I took way too much my first pregnancy. It was ridiculous. I'm not taking anywhere near that much this time but I'm thinking my hubby can go back to the house and collect stuff if I'm in longer than 1 night. I was only in one night last time.
But if you don't have a car it would be a hassle if OH has to go home for stuff.
The only thing I would recommend you take that you've not already packed is a camera and or video recorder. I'm so glad we caught those first few moments on film.

I don't think you will need toiletries for your OH as there wasn't anywhere my OH was allowed to use when I had DS1.

I personally changed into loose clothes rather than a nighty after I was washed after the birth.

Deffo take your own pillow, mine was a life saver, they give you one two if you are lucky. And hospital pillows are horrid and thin!

i actually think it sounds like the perfect sized bag!! I agree - your DH's travel sized toiletries are probably not necessary... my dh wasn't allowed in the bathroom in my room EVER -- he had to use the public washroom down the hall. But we drive and live close to hospital - so he came home and showered. Im sure had he not been able to, he would have "freshened up" in whatever bathroom he could.

Defo own pillow! I buried my face in mine in labour lol and then used it for the night I was in. This time I'm taking my v shaped pillow too so that I can try and breastfeed xx

Don't forget things like plenty of mixed change (in case you run out of drinks/snacks), phone charger and maybe a magazine/puzzle book etc just in case you are in there for a while :)

My midwife suggested something "Homey" like a pillow or blanket that you use regularly to relax you. I'm taking my stuffed penguin which has doubled as a support pillow :) (it's about the size of a normal pillow and super soft so it can double as a feeding pillow)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->