Have we fallen out of love with food?

This shop has just opened in my village. Its amazing!!

https://www.catered-uk.co.uk/collections

I am def in love with cooking right now

processed food is cheap, i think we get that influence from the US, homecooked foods take time and effort, our busy day to day worklife is a lot more speeded up and stressful than it is in say a mediteranean country where they may work shorter hours or take siestas. I think the UK is fairly influenced by all sorts of food culture, we dont seem to have a signature dish we can call our own, unless you count the 'fry up', most of its been influenced by other countries around the world anyway. Not all 'ready meals' are bad, they can contain the same amount of nutrients that a home cooked dinner has, they have monitored amount of calories and fat so at least you know what you are taking in. Not all contain baddies, and sometimes to cook the same thing from scratch can cost twice or three times as much to buy ingredients for and prepare, and I for one am not one who can freeze numerous amounts of foods to eat it another day I get bored if I eat my food more than once in two weeks and it just doesnt taste the same as when it was fresh.
For two people who work full time with two kids in full time day care it can be the best option to buy prepacked meals during the week, it just means doing something different at the weekend e.g cooking a roast dinner or going out for a nice meal, doesnt mean you have fallen out of love with food, just havent got time for it. :D

Both my parents are Italian, my dad was born there and lived there until 3. My nan (his mum) lives there and all our family are Italian.
We have houses there so frequently go over for holidays.

Its not just what we eat its the taste, you can buy a honeydew melon in Italy and it tastes sweet, juicy and delicious if you brought one here its nothing like that, normally you have to wait a week for it to ripen and nobody knows exactly how to ripen fruit so it never ever tastes like it would there. The same with tomatoes...
Even here we very rarely eat ready meals, we microwave rarely and we eat pasta at least 3 times a week for either lunch or dinner.

My Nan would never buy anything that she could cook from fresh. Its just not something she has ever done.

I think our supermarket chains have made it easier for us to live off of a quick and easy but unhealthy lifestyle, I go shopping and the things on offer are the breaded chicken breasts, pies, chips, frozen meats. Its easier to eat the unhealthy stuff cos most of it takes less time to cook and is cheaper.

Look at the price of meat for example, its unbelievable that two small portions of mince beef will cost you £6 and that would only feed us one meal in this house.

Price wise isn't really the issue because Italy is just as expensive as here in many areas.

I have deffo not fallen out of love with food, I loooove food. Enjoy cooking up new dishes, I guess alot of us lack time sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->