Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

I just wish people would take this on board on a regular basis for smaller charity but without the FB plug I doubt it very much

If I get a nomination, I will probably donate to a lesser funded cancer such as pancreatic or colon. Not that bothered by these social media fundraisers as a whole, but I do think it kind of reinforces the idea that its 'weird' for women not to wear make up.

I thought it was utterly ridiculous, then isaw how much awareness and money it raised and I got nominated. So I did xx

i havent done it and wont for a few reason one mainly that a lot of money gets spent on administration costs but i did read one comment on an article from a cancer sufferer and she even said i would rather people donated to macmillan as they gave her more support than any other charity. Also when it first came about i got nominated but saw people doing them and no message as to what it was for,it was a bit like every one jumping on the bandwagon. Yes i do believe it is raising money and that is a good thing but i dont need to take a selfie with no make up to go with the crowd id rather donate to more smaller charities that dont get the media coverage like cancer research does/

Those that don't want to donate to CRUK, have you thought about your local Oncology department? I don't know about others around the country, but the one my husband works for (and that I used to work for!) have their own appeal. They've recently used some of the money to help them buy the newest radiotherapy treatment machine (linear accelerator).

Yes I did it today. I'm not usually one to 'jump on the bandwagon' as some have put it but as it is for charity I did my pic, donated and posted links.

I appreciate what some are saying about donating to smaller charites, admin costs etc... but the bottom line is today I donated money to a cancer charity that I would not have donated at all otherwise, and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat.

I also think it's a bit harsh to berate those who don't post any info/donate with their pic, to be fair they probably just haven't thought it through properly and got carried away. At the end of the day they are still helping to make the mesage viral and therefore encourage more donations :thumbup:

No. I don't like to take photos of myself. I have donated though and think it's wonderful how much it's raised :)

Kate, atomic pink, Rachel c, twilightagain all said what I wanted to say but better!

I still hate it even today, luckily no one has tagged me though because I moaned about it yesterday :haha: I think proving you donated to charity is pretty pathetic but I'm happy so much money has been raised :) and happy so many people who don't bother their arse with charitable deeds otherwise have had the opportunity to feel noble and like they've done something worthwhile :lol:

Yes I did it today. I'm not usually one to 'jump on the bandwagon' as some have put it but as it is for charity I did my pic, donated and posted links.

I appreciate what some are saying about donating to smaller charites, admin costs etc... but the bottom line is today I donated money to a cancer charity that I would not have donated at all otherwise, and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat.

I also think it's a bit harsh to berate those who don't post any info/donate with their pic, to be fair they probably just haven't thought it through properly and got carried away. At the end of the day they are still helping to make the mesage viral and therefore encourage more donations :thumbup:

Completly agree. If it wasn't for the selfie photos, I wouldn't have donated. I also didn't post a picture of me donating.. But I did! I just have a very crap phone that can't do those funky photo things. It's an old Nokia due to me 'losing' my normal phone down the toilet. Anything that makes people donate is a good thing surely? :)

To be fair I think the main reason people are posting their confirmation texts to prove they've donated is because of the amount of people moaning about the whole campaign, saying they can't see how it has helped etc etc. £1,000,000 plus says to me that it going to help a lot in the long run, even if it is a short lived fad, it 1 million (plus) they would have never had otherwise.

Also all I've seen on my news feed is people donating by text, so the standard £3, it hasn't been a competition to see who can donate the most or to prove who's done what? I would say at least 90% of the women doing these selfies have also added their donations or details of how to donate, therefore spreading the word.

I find it bizare that more people have moaned about 'no make up nominations' than the NekNominations.

I don't know anyone personally who has done a NekNomination so it never affected me enough to talk about it. Every other person on my Facebook feed was patting themselves on the back over their "cancer awareness" the other morning so I had reason to mention it.

But it's sad we can't propose a debate on the subject without being "moaners". People really get offended when it involves their own vanity.

I don't know anyone personally who has done a NekNomination so it never affected me enough to talk about it. Every other person on my Facebook feed was patting themselves on the back over their "cancer awareness" the other morning so I had reason to mention it.

But it's sad we can't propose a debate on the subject without being "moaners". People really get offended when it involves their own vanity.

Sorry, I didn't mean this thread in particular. Just in general.

I had loads of friends that did NekNominations. No one battered an eyelid...but lasses doing 'no make up' nominations (which for a lot of lasses, it's a HUGE deal to be seen without makeup)...it causes outrage. That's why I find it bizare.

I've been nominated to do it but haven't yet, apart from anything else people see me without makeup every single day and I hate photos of myself. I think I'd rather just donate and leave it that but don't have a problem with people posting photos if that's what they want to do.

Sorry, I didn't mean this thread in particular. Just in general.

I had loads of friends that did NekNominations. No one battered an eyelid...but lasses doing 'no make up' nominations (which for a lot of lasses, it's a HUGE deal to be seen without makeup)...it causes outrage. That's why I find it bizare.

Ahh right, I thought there was a big to-do about NekNominations but the thread on here over it I think was comparatively small. I figured it was an age thing :lol:

Certainly not an age thing! Most of my friend list are are older than me (29 in a couple of weeks) so they aren't "young & daft."

Yawwn very tired of it all now. There are a few martyrs on my fb basbing people who havent donated, bashing men who havent "done their part" by putting a pic of themselves on with makeup on and bashing those who have the sheer audacity to moan about the whole thing shock horror.

I just wonder how many of these martyrs have actually posted anything of any relevance to actually RAISE AWARENESS of cancer? All well and good making a donation which is fantastic but if people are gonna get so hung up on it then at least post a few articles/links/pictures that people can look at to educate themselves on signs/symptoms of a particular type of cancer or a link for the charity they have donated to to show where the money gets spent and how it helps.

I really just cringe when I see people ranting and raving over fb, having arguments and somehow thinking they have the moral highground because they made a one off donation of £3 to charity :shrug:

I am aware that this is the MINORITY of people but thats what is getting my goat at the minute :haha:

I feel the exact same smileyfaces.

the selfies came first, the donation part came later because people were criticising the selfies but now everyone is pretending that that was the goal all along 😒 it started off as no different at all from one of those daft pictures that say 'like if you hate cancer. share if you want to find a cure' but hardly anyone likes or shares them because it doesn't involve a completely vain and self-absorbed act of posting a picture of yourself. someone with slightly more brains then made up a story about it and everyone else just ran with it. total sheep mentality.

I see a lot of people on my friends list who thought it was stupid have been kinda guilt tripped into it which makes me feel even more strongly that I'm never doing it :haha: no one has tagged me anyway because I said I would share a picture of my mum's bare head to raise awareness and I think they feel guilty :lol: someone said in response to my status - 'well if it got you all talking about cancer the job has been done' - who doesn't already talk about cancer?! that was the excuse before the donations were invented *rolls eyes*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->