Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

Just out of curiosity, for those who are against this/bored of it etc, are you against every other means of fund raising? i.e Race For Life, 3 Peaks challenge.

Agree agree agree! And to the above no lol since im not doing 26 miles for nothing :p

But thats not the point.

I dont think anyone is against fundraising at all. Noone on this thread has said that fundraising is a bad thing?

Of course not, I've been involved in fundraising in the past. And I'm not opposed to the nature of charity either, I make regular donations.
But this campaign didn't start off as fund raising, or even raising awareness. It started in the same way as those bra statuses which we've all complained about, only this time when people questioned it, egos got hurt, people got defensive and confused awareness with fundraising, and started to attach donations to their selfies. What happened was a good thing, but what started it was narcissism.

I dont think donating itself is bad for goodness sake. I just dislike the selfies, donation screen shots and nomination.

Just out of curiosity, for those who are against this/bored of it etc, are you against every other means of fund raising? i.e Race For Life, 3 Peaks challenge.

I'm not against fundraising, that's a bit :wacko:

I'm just against being guilt tripped to doing it, people thinking I'm vain because I wont put a pic on when in fact I give a lot to charity on the quiet, not something I need to boast about or share with all of fb or anyone really ...I don't give to charity to make me feel good or wanting others to think how kind I am

I think its great how much has been raised but it's a personal choice.. I'm not for or against this really, just against the being made to feel like you have to go make up free to " be doing your bit "

I feel the exact same smileyfaces.

the selfies came first, the donation part came later because people were criticising the selfies but now everyone is pretending that that was the goal all along �� it started off as no different at all from one of those daft pictures that say 'like if you hate cancer. share if you want to find a cure' but hardly anyone likes or shares them because it doesn't involve a completely vain and self-absorbed act of posting a picture of yourself. someone with slightly more brains then made up a story about it and everyone else just ran with it. total sheep mentality.

I see a lot of people on my friends list who thought it was stupid have been kinda guilt tripped into it which makes me feel even more strongly that I'm never doing it :haha: no one has tagged me anyway because I said I would share a picture of my mum's bare head to raise awareness and I think they feel guilty :lol: someone said in response to my status - 'well if it got you all talking about cancer the job has been done' - who doesn't already talk about cancer?! that was the excuse before the donations were invented *rolls eyes*

Thiiisssss is what winds me up! We are all aware of cancer, we've all been affected, and just saying the word "cancer" isn't talking about it :dohh::dohh:

Totally agree with that. Obviously not posting my bare face means I don't know about cancer! People donate where they want🐔 people may not donate but may help in other ways but no one is too judge. If I dont want to do a selfie it doesn't make me selfish or cold hearted.

I donated £3 and took the pic but didnt upload it to facebook.

There's peer pressure and what I'd call bullying on Facebook over this now. People need to accept we have different views on how to fundraise and who to fundraise for. I'm not willing to get slated for not donating - with the help of friends I've just fundraised £200 for Myeloma UK, a charity I never heard of until a few months ago, we put in the effort too.

Certainly anything but against fundraising, I am a paid full timer in one well known charity (that doesnt save lives in any way) and in my spare time, I'm an unpaid chair of a tiny charity(that helps saves lives of premature/sick babies). That's my point. I see charities go around with paid workers whilst others are simpily volunteers, and they need help, nothings handed to them.

Big charities get big grants. Little charities fight their asses off. I want to be one of those that help the little charities and not join in with the mainstream. Little charities NEED people to do that.

^ we recently done a fund raiser for our village group. Lots of people didnt give a damn :(

I don't know anyone personally who has done a NekNomination so it never affected me enough to talk about it. Every other person on my Facebook feed was patting themselves on the back over their "cancer awareness" the other morning so I had reason to mention it.

But it's sad we can't propose a debate on the subject without being "moaners". People really get offended when it involves their own vanity.

See there are defeintly people on my news feed that are 'moaning' just for the sake of moaning and to jump on that band wagon, the same way in which many think that others have jumped on the no makeup selfie bandwagon.
I also don't think this way because of my own vanity, I didn't do a selfie of myself but did one of LO instead, and again not for vanity, I wouldn't have done one with or without makeup personally.

I just think the whole bashing it thing is stupid, I get that some people don't like it/ don't get it whatever...But I just don't see the need to have a great big rant about it (not specifically anyone on here) across Facebook, hide it from your news feed or just ignore. It's not actually hurting anyone so I just don't see the need :shrug:

Seriously, I see plenty of more offensive, pointless crap on Facebook everyday.

We seemed to have moved onto Cock in A Sock now have we not? :rofl: Don't know how to feel about that one :rofl:

Omg cock in a sock .. I better keep my fb closed when the kids are around then :/

My pole friend is the cover star, I'm kinda used to seeing it all from him :rofl:

They keep getting reported though. Understandable really.

I don't know anyone personally who has done a NekNomination so it never affected me enough to talk about it. Every other person on my Facebook feed was patting themselves on the back over their "cancer awareness" the other morning so I had reason to mention it.

But it's sad we can't propose a debate on the subject without being "moaners". People really get offended when it involves their own vanity.

See there are defeintly people on my news feed that are 'moaning' just for the sake of moaning and to jump on that band wagon, the same way in which many think that others have jumped on the no makeup selfie bandwagon.
I also don't think this way because of my own vanity, I didn't do a selfie of myself but did one of LO instead, and again not for vanity, I wouldn't have done one with or without makeup personally.

I just think the whole bashing it thing is stupid, I get that some people don't like it/ don't get it whatever...But I just don't see the need to have a great big rant about it (not specifically anyone on here) across Facebook, hide it from your news feed or just ignore. It's not actually hurting anyone so I just don't see the need :shrug:

Seriously, I see plenty of more offensive, pointless crap on Facebook everyday.

I absolutely disagree. I've explained my opinion elsewhere in this thread (and on Facebook where I was lambasted), but the fact I don't agree doesn't mean I'm 'bashing' it.

Like I said I don't actually mean anyone specifically on here, I don't know what you wrote on Facebook so obviously can't comment on that. The ones I'm talking about, moaning/bashing etc are the ones that are on my news feed at the moment, and there's a few of them at the moment.

The only reason I quoted your quote was because of the comment about offending people because of their own vanity when I had previously mentioned moaning. There are people moaning about it on my news feed and I don't think this way because of my own vanity, didn't post a selfie and never would, it's just not my thing. That's all I was trying to say iykwim?

Sorry I perhaps should have posted to different replies rather than everything on the same one.

I do think it's going as bad one way as the other, some of those who are doing it are putting pressure on others and vice versa I've seen pressure this morning from those not, that others shouldn't and they certainly shouldn't be donating to cancer research. It's all about choice though, fair enough if you do/don't want to do it but other don't/do. Live and let live IMO.

Seen loads of cock in a sock uploads, my fave is a picture of david Cameron in a sock lol

The problem is there is a lot of generalisation going on. I would think most are posting screenshots of their donations so they don't get accused of just posting a 'pointless' selfie. But you know, everyone is different so I'm sure there are a whole range of reasons people are joining in, from genuinely wanting to help to another excuse to post a selfie.

I don't think you can say everyone doing it is vain, that's like saying everyone who doesn't do it is vain as they don't want to be seen without make up on which I am sure is not the case.

I also don't think it's necessarily taking away from small charities, as I said I would not have donated anything to anyone that day was it not for this but it doesn't mean I never give to any other charity or chose the big charity instead, it was more of an extra. Even if people don't usually give to any charity but have done this, surely it's better to donate something to someone than nothing to anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->