• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HCG Levels - Decrease then Rise Again Please Help!!

tmcrowe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've come to share my story & to see if anyone else can relate or has ever heard of this happening. ??

On Tuesday May 29th I went to the ER with a back related injury that was pressing on my sciatic nerve. While I was there they had discovered I was pregnant via urine test. The ER Dr ordered blood work to check my hcg levels to confirm since the positive was a faint positive. It was as he suspected, my hcg levels were 176. ( VERY EARLY PREGNANCY ) He then told me I would have to follow up with my GYN in 2 days to repeat the blood work to see if it doubled. They did do a transvaginal ultrasound this day, but were able to see anything. They said not to be alarmed by this because with my LMP being May 12th, they wouldn't expect to see anything.
I was completely taken aback, I had no suspicions that I was even pregnant. I had started my LMP on May 12th and it had lasted a full 7-9 days. I had started a new BC on May 21st to help slow down the heaviness to my periods. My periods have always been regular, just really heavy/clotty. By the time Friday May 25th came around I had severe bloating/cramping/fullness/spotting.. so after Friday, I decided to not take this pill anymore! The spotting was mostly brownish in color untill Tuesday evening ( after ER vist ) it started turning darker and I noticed small clotting and tissue?
So on Wednesday May 30th after the bleeding had increased significantly and I have excessive bleeding/clottin/tissue passage I decided to go back to the ER wherre they had informed me that my hcg levels had went down to 125 and that they believed me to be having a miscarriage. Although this pregnancy was unexpected at this time I was devastated. My bleeding had contiued heavy from Wednesday till Friday where then it had began to decrease to nothing come Sunday. Only minimal bleeding in the mornings of Saturday & Sunday.
Monday June 4th I had to return to my GYN to follow on my blood work after the "miscarriage" My HCG levels came back at a 285! She asked me to return again Wednesday June 6th to have it checked again.. they came back at a 400! My Dr couldn't explain this. She ordered for me to have an ultrasound. I had this done on Thursday June 7th, where they were unable to detect anything in the uterus or the tubes.. ( they aslo fear ectopic pregnancy ) The day of my ultrasound I would've only been estimated to be 3 weeks & 5 days.. Would this have been too soon to see anything? Am I still pregnant?

My Dr keeps saying she thinks this isn't a good pregnancy and she doesn't want to give me false hope. That my numbers are low? Very confused by this because everything I have been reading my levels are right on target to be 4 weeks pregnant today! I'm just not sure what to think, and it's driving me insane.. Any suggestions/thoughts/experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:

Thanks in Advance!!

P.S. - I go again Monday 6.11.12 to have a repeat in blood work..

LMP - 5.12.12

HCG - 5.29.12 = 176
HCG - 5.30.12 ( heavy bleeding started ) = 125
HCG - 6.4.12 = 285
HCG - 6.6.12 = 400

hi :)

sorry i cant offer any advice or guidance to you, just wanted to say I really feel for your situation, it's the not knowing whats going on in there right now, and whats going to be....

best of luck for your appt on monday, do post back and let me know what the results are? x

Just wanted to bump this so someone can help I don't know much about hcg levels but I know if your mc'ing then they should be going down and not up I know at the stage of prgnancy your at baby will be implanting so maybe it's implantation bleeding also I'm sure your hcg doesn't start rising till baby has implanted might be wrong but this is what I've heard so maybe they went down a little unroll baby implanted hope someone can help out xx

I don't want to be negative, but I can only say you should listen to your doctor = if it does turn out fine it will be a much nicer shock than if you get your hopes up and its not good.

My levels went down in March, they pretty much said miscarriage, but then I stopped bleeding, went back to ER to check if I had an infection 2 weeks later (had resigned ourselves to the mc), and they told me my levels had massively jumped - from 400 to almost 3000. They didn't have an answer for me, but us showed a slightly bigger gest. sac, with a small fetal pole, but nothing else - I should have been about 8 weeks. They then took some more blood and told me levels were now going down, and called it a missed miscarriage.

To this day they have no answer for me as to why my levels went back up. The only thought is that maybe the corpus luteum was still producing smaller amounts of hcg. Other than that they don't know.

So I hope everything is fine, but sometimes even with a mc, levels can fluctuate. If it's meant to be it will be, but its the same on the other side, if it's not meant to be, there's nothing you can do.

Fingers crossed for you.

I'm sorry you're going through this, honey. Maybe a vanishing twin? I'm not really sure though, but I would be hopeful if my hCG were rising. xoxo:hugs:

hi :)

sorry i cant offer any advice or guidance to you, just wanted to say I really feel for your situation, it's the not knowing whats going on in there right now, and whats going to be....

best of luck for your appt on monday, do post back and let me know what the results are? x

Thank you so much! I will definitely post back once I know.. if anything it will help someone else out in the long run. From what i've been reading it could go either way.. xxx

Just wanted to bump this so someone can help I don't know much about hcg levels but I know if your mc'ing then they should be going down and not up I know at the stage of prgnancy your at baby will be implanting so maybe it's implantation bleeding also I'm sure your hcg doesn't start rising till baby has implanted might be wrong but this is what I've heard so maybe they went down a little unroll baby implanted hope someone can help out xx

Thanks for bump. I am the same as you.. This experience has given me so many mixed emotions.. I thought the same about the implantation, which would have been expected to take place this past week for me.. Which I did experience a very small amount of spotting on Wednesday. Just a small amount that was with clear discharge.. There's always hope and that's what I'm holding onto now..

Thanks again! xxx :hugs:

only time i had this was with my ectopic what are scans saying?>

Could that first blood test have been wrong as 176 at 17dpo is a bit high, being that the earliest you could have ovulated could be 10dpo. That one does not seem to fit, I guess cause of the slow rise they will watch for ectopic now especially with bleeding.
The heavy bleeding is a concern, but then people can bleed and be ok. Very confusing.
Good luck, you are still very early and at 3 weeks 5 days you will see nothing. An accurate u/s and diagnoses can not be confirmed until hcg numbers are higher closer to 2000.

at 14dpo my levels with this pregnant were 27 was told not to hold out hope, with my miscarriages my levels were low but rised slightly then fell, with the ectopic my levels were about 200 at 15dpo then went up then down then up they got to 3,000 almost before they scaned and decided on an ectopic and hit me with methotrexate, even after first dose of methotrexate my levels went up and had to hit me with a 2nd dose which wasn't fun.

I don't want to be negative, but I can only say you should listen to your doctor = if it does turn out fine it will be a much nicer shock than if you get your hopes up and its not good.

My levels went down in March, they pretty much said miscarriage, but then I stopped bleeding, went back to ER to check if I had an infection 2 weeks later (had resigned ourselves to the mc), and they told me my levels had massively jumped - from 400 to almost 3000. They didn't have an answer for me, but us showed a slightly bigger gest. sac, with a small fetal pole, but nothing else - I should have been about 8 weeks. They then took some more blood and told me levels were now going down, and called it a missed miscarriage.

To this day they have no answer for me as to why my levels went back up. The only thought is that maybe the corpus luteum was still producing smaller amounts of hcg. Other than that they don't know.

So I hope everything is fine, but sometimes even with a mc, levels can fluctuate. If it's meant to be it will be, but its the same on the other side, if it's not meant to be, there's nothing you can do.

Fingers crossed for you.

Wow.. your story left me speechless. Thank you for sharing this with me. First i'd like to say that I am very sorry for your loss. I'm sure that was an emotional roller-coster ride. xxx:hugs: to you..

I agree, if it's meant to be it will be, if it's not.. there's nothing you can do. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to only be disappointed or feel more grief after already believing I had the miscarriage.. I was in complete shock when she called me and told me my numbers were still rising. I had never heard this before..

Thank you again.. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. :hug:

I'm sorry you're going through this, honey. Maybe a vanishing twin? I'm not really sure though, but I would be hopeful if my hCG were rising. xoxo:hugs:

Thank you..! There is Always Hope ....xxx :)

highly possible, at 4weeks with this baby they seen thicken of my uterus linning, at 5weeks seen sac and fetal pole at 5+6 had heartbeat

Could that first blood test have been wrong as 176 at 17dpo is a bit high, being that the earliest you could have ovulated could be 10dpo. That one does not seem to fit, I guess cause of the slow rise they will watch for ectopic now especially with bleeding.
The heavy bleeding is a concern, but then people can bleed and be ok. Very confusing.
Good luck, you are still very early and at 3 weeks 5 days you will see nothing. An accurate u/s and diagnoses can not be confirmed until hcg numbers are higher closer to 2000.

Hi there.. That is a very good point. The Dr actually mentioned this when she called me with Monday's results. Given how the first 2 sets of HCG's were ran at hospital stats. ( Possible Human Error ) Then she brought me on Wednesday ( 6.6.12 ) and called me Thurday with the hcg only being at 400.. She said this was too low for 3 weeks & 5 days? This really confused me.. I have been reading differently. I've been ALL over google. Haha.. But I guess since they didn't completely double from Monday's results as we would like to see, this raised a flag.

at 14dpo my levels with this pregnant were 27 was told not to hold out hope, with my miscarriages my levels were low but rised slightly then fell, with the ectopic my levels were about 200 at 15dpo then went up then down then up they got to 3,000 almost before they scaned and decided on an ectopic and hit me with methotrexate, even after first dose of methotrexate my levels went up and had to hit me with a 2nd dose which wasn't fun.

Omgosh.. I am so sorry. That sounds horrible. :(

Hi Hun. I had a miscarriage back in December but my levels started out much lower, 48. The second time I went in it dropped to 35. I asked the doc if there was a chance it would rise again and she said that a healthy pregnancy should increase steadily. If it were to drop and then increase, it could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. I hope you get a miracle though.

Hi there.. That is a very good point. The Dr actually mentioned this when she called me with Monday's results. Given how the first 2 sets of HCG's were ran at hospital stats. ( Possible Human Error ) Then she brought me on Wednesday ( 6.6.12 ) and called me Thurday with the hcg only being at 400.. She said this was too low for 3 weeks & 5 days? This really confused me.. I have been reading differently. I've been ALL over google. Haha.. But I guess since they didn't completely double from Monday's results as we would like to see, this raised a flag.

That is ridiculous saying 400 at 3 weeks and 5 days is low:dohh: With my first DD I had a reading of 77 at 3 weeks 6 days and she is here happy and healthy. DD was 117 at 4 weeks and this one was in 100 and something yeek ca not remember. So 400 2 days before 4 weeks sounds pretty good to me:)
Good luck with your next blood test:thumbup:

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your support and responses.
-Heres an update- I had a bit of scare last night that took me straight to ER. I started feeling real crampy, honestly feels like I just need to have a BM, but I can't because the pain and cramps I feel along with it. I can more of the pressure/pain on the left side rather than the right.. But I do feel pain there.
Anyway- They checked my HCG levels and they came back at 525. So their still not doubling. :( - This is at 4 weeks & 1 day.
They order a transvagin u/s where I found it to be extremely painful. ( The pressure )..The Dr came in and told me that the radiologist found something suspicious with the left tube and that he suspects it could be Ectopic. Wants me to see my GYN Monday and tell her so the can confirm & move forward if necessary..

I can honestly say that I have never been more scared in my life.. I just keep praying over & over.. :/

Hi Hun. I had a miscarriage back in December but my levels started out much lower, 48. The second time I went in it dropped to 35. I asked the doc if there was a chance it would rise again and she said that a healthy pregnancy should increase steadily. If it were to drop and then increase, it could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. I hope you get a miracle though.

Sorry for your loss & thank you for your support. This has definitely been a scary adventure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->