HCG levels not doubling - no gestational sac

annagr

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

I'm writing mostly because I feel nervous and sad. My LMP was at 12/25 and my cycle is never normal (30-35 days) so I am not sure when did I ovulate.

I found out I was pregnant on 30/01. The positive line was faint, so I went to my doctor on 04/02. I did the ultrasound and it wasn't clear that he saw a gestational sac. He just saw a small black dot, but he wasn't sure this was the sac... He said that there wasn't evidence for ectopic pregnancy either. Even worse, on that day my hcg levels were at 1800. 44hrs later (06/02), I had my hcg levels tested again and unfortunately they had only rise to 2299.

My doctor said that this is definately a bad sign, he said that I have to go for another ultrasound and a new hcg levels testing on Monday. He also said that if things go on like that, I should end the pregnancy soon.

Has any of you dealt with a situation like that? What should I do now? Go for the final ultrasound and end it, or wait a little bit more?

Just an apology and an edit because I am not familiar with the american way of typing dates:

LPM: 12/25
Positive test: 01/30
1st HCG: 02/04
2nd HCG: 02/06

I would wait it out...some babies just start out slow and then boom catch right up. If its a bad pregnancy your body will end it. I wouldnt end it just because a dr said you should because baby is being slow. Just wait and see. Your body is really good at knowing when its not a viable pregnancy and will terminate itself. Keeping my fingers crossed that baby catches up and is all good.

I agree with the previous poster. But prepare yourself just in case things don't go as hoped. You just never know though so wait and see!

Hopefully on Monday you'll have good news. :hugs:

I would like to thank both of you for your kind words and wishes.
I'll have my hcg levels tested again and I'll have a new ultrasound. I also decided to visit a new doctor, for a second opinion.
Since now, I have some pregnancy symptoms like bloating, very soft belly cramp, boob pain, nausea and light headache. Also, my body temperature is 36.9 to 37.4 C (98.4 - 99.3 F, due to my converter). Fortunately, I haven't seen blood or brown spots. I feel fatigue and hungry sometimes.
I will let you informed soon!

Hi hun so sorry your going through this, like PP said some babies start of with slow risen HCG mine did, my 1st was 18 2nd 72 hours later 60 & 3rd 1434 7 days later from the 3rd test, and my tests were quiet faint and didn't get darker till my hcg was 1434, fingers crossed all
Is okay & sometimes hcg takes 72 hours to double (not always 48 hours) wish you all the next hun xx

Hello,
Sorry you're going through this stress. At this point, things could go either way. They do say that they usually expect to see a gestational sac on ultrasound after beta levels exceed 1500-2000, so definitely have another scan first before you assume anything.
Re the levels doubling, after they reach 1200, doubling can be much slower, up to 3-4 days. So that isn't a reason of much concern in itself. But if a subsequent scan still doesn't show a sac, then it may be bad news I'm afraid.

I do agree with other posters - no doctor should tell you how to manage a failing pregnancy (assuming it is failing, which we don't know yet). This early on, it's very likely your body will go on to miscarry and you will need to do nothing. There is also the medical management option (i.e. medication to induce a miscarriage) or the surgical/D&C option. In any event, the decision (should you have to make it) is yours and yours alone, no doctor can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Only exception to that is, if you are diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy, which can be life threatening if left untreated, and which requires immediate termination. But you don't have to cross that bridge until you have to cross it, IF you have to cross it.

For now, be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. Definitely have another scan (another doctor is a good idea) and definitely have your blood levels checked again. Hopefully you just have a slow starter or late ovulation/implantation and you will continue on with a healthy full term pregnancy! Best of luck! :hugs:

Hello girls!
I just received my results. I did a new hcg levels test and I got 6372!
I cannot believe it! I was so upset and now I have hopes for a baby...
I'll visit my doctor on Monday, 16 when we expect to see a sac.
Thank you for all your thoughts and wishes, You have no idea of how much do I relax and feel safe when I read your posts.
I will let you know what will happen on the ultrasound!

I have been through this . are your numbers doubling as expected? My numbers were also climbing but not enough . it did not end well hopefully your scan will give you the answers you need x

Those are great numbers!

I will say that I really think that the hcg numbers and when you should see stuff is the MINIMUM at which you can expect to see something. If dates off off, even just a little, that can change everything.

I had hcg levels over 18,000 and all they saw was a sac (when everything else says there should have been a fetal pole with a heartbeat with those levels). 10 days later showed everything was fine. So just because they say you should see x, y, z by certain levels doesn't mean you will which leads me to believe that's the minimum you'll most likely see something.

Dates and if baby is a slower starter can change what you see.

Good luck with your scan on the 16th and keep us posted! :)

Great news! :thumbup:
And this is why doctors should take a more careful 'wait and see' approach instead of scaring women like that before anyone knows how things will develop.
Hopefully this is the beginning of a successful pregnancy for you! Keep us posted!

Spunky84 your story makes me hope a bit more!
Actually, Christi85 you are so right.

The main reason why I got upset and panicked was mostly that my doctor couldn't hide his concerns. Of course I understand that when hcg levels don't rise at first time, doctors can't spread fake hopes to women. But, you understand, those days were like an emotional roller coaster for me and my husband. We are through this all alone because it's all uncertain yet, and we can't announce anything to our people.

So, thank you all for supporting me! Let's see what the Ultrasound will tell!

anna, things are looking good! that is great!! eager to hear what they say/see on Monday!!

my ultrasound is the wednesday after (18th) and i am just counting down the days!!!

Glad to hear things are looking up! I agree with your decision to see another doctor. It's one thing to prepare you for all possibilities, good or bad, but I think it's bad practice to tell you you'll likely have to end the pregnancy without getting more information.

Best of luck with your scan! Will be checking back to see your GOOD news ;)

update!!!

Hey girls!
I went to the doctor and ... we saw a small small small something that has a heart beat! :) I am 6w 2d and the CRL is at 4.6mm!
i am so happy!

happy for you annagr, fx everything goes smoothly from now on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->