hCG up but progesterone down

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I have been on progesterone suppositories (200 mg a day) since 3 DPO.

At my 11 DPO bloods, hCG was 32 and progesterone was 39.17. My doctor said my progesterone was fine and I didn't need the suppositories. She said to slowly wean off them, as they are giving me horrible contact dermatitis and inflammation, and there was no reason to keep suffering.

Two days later hCG was 138 but progesterone wasn't rechecked. Now, at 18 DPO, 5 days after I started weaning of the progesterone, my hCG is 1442 but progesterone is 35.56. I'm kinda freaking out. My understanding is that progesterone suppositories don't affect serum levels of progesterone, so why would my progesterone be dropping?

Bump, anyone please? It takes days for my OB to return calls, I have no idea when I will hear from them and I'm worried

My OB told me that progesterone can fluctuate during the day, so that may just be a dip and not a drop. 35 is still a good number. Good luck and hope your OB gets back to you soon.

Progesterone numbers can bounce around a bit, and I agree that 35 is an EXCELLENT number, especially non medicated.

As far as vaginal suppositories not affecting the blood level, that's not my understanding. I know that oral ones affect your blood MORE because of the way they enter your body. (with oral they get to your blood stream long before they get to your uterus area, with suppositories it's the other way around) But I believe that as the progesterone is absorbed into your body via suppository, some of it still gets into your blood stream.

And again, 35 is still a VERY good number. VERY. (statistically, before week ten, most non medicated people peak UNDER 30, even 15 is considered normal)

So as far as the numbers go, I think you're okay.

But I understand your concern. I take 3 forms of progesterone every day (since 3 DPO) and as annoying as it is, I am NOT looking forward to coming off of it. I'm going to be a nervous wreck.

I'm no doctor obviously, but that's my experience. I hope your OB gets back to you soon!

Thank you both.

I am hoping that the explanation is "well, you're weaning off the suppositories so naturally your progesterone will go down a bit" but yesterday my OB said it affects serum progesterone levels a negligible amount. She said that going off the suppositories should NOT cause a decline in serum level because my progesterone should be rising on its own, masking whatever tiny dip I would experience from stopping the suppositories.

That's what is bothering me about all this. I am hoping its as simple as levels fluctuating naturally, and that it's not an indication that something is wrong with baby :(

I"m so sorry tired to write you .. your pm full ;)

Hope you get some more answers today from dr. Will you be repeating bloodwork soon? Sorry you are going trough this, hope the stress passes soon and you get to relax and enjoy the pregnancy soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->