Heart Murmur in Newborns

Tonnilou

Loved up & proud Mama <3
Reaction score
Helloooooooooooo lovely ladies.

We have had a scary few days but am hoping that some of you will be able to share similar experiences and hopefully offer some reassurance.

We ended up in the hospital on Sunday as Toby had been sick, was very hot and had been really screaming for about 2 hours. We were worried he had a bug of some sort. They kept me n him in overnight to keep an eye on him and he had loads of checks but was fine in the end. HOWEVER, one of the doctors discovered that he has a heart murmur eeeeeeeeeeps. So he ended up having even more checks and tests and x rays, ecg's you name it. He looks great and apart from a murmur there doesnt appear to be any major problems.

Heart murmurs are actually quite common in my family my mum, gran and at least 2 of my grans sisters have them. But DH had a sister who died from heart complications (40 years ago or so and she had them from birth alot more serious than a murmur) sooooooooooooooo the Doc decided that with our family histories that she wanted to refer us to a consultant in London just to be on the safe side. Really scary and I cried lots and lots just cos I didn't know what to make of it, and I still don't really.

Toby is such a big bonnie healthy and alert baby so we really are really really hoping that its just going to be an *innocent* murmur and nothing serious. The doc emailed all his results etc to the consultant already and he wasn't unduly worried but agreed its better to be safe to double check and make sure he is all ok. So until we see the consultant we cant be 100% sure. On the bright side they were really positive about it all and let us home on Monday evening.

We had a call today and have an appointment this Friday at the Eviline Childrens Hospital in Waterloo London. So we dont have too long to wait till we hopefully have peace of mind.

Has anyone also had a little one with this at all?

:hugs:

((hugs)) Know a few dogs with heart murmurs that are fine but not babies. Sure everything will be fine for you xx

DH and I both had them as babies and they went away as we got older :flower:

I had one when i was born and it went away itself. with my 1st daughter, hers was picked up at 9 months when she was ill with something else. but never again. its very common in babies

Tonnilou, I was thinking of you just the other day actually and wondering how you were getting along. I'm so sorry to hear that you guys have had a rough week. If your doctor isn't overly concerned, though, and if it's common in your family, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I don't have any experience, though, but it seems that the doctor is checking it as a matter of protocol to be safe?? But do please update us. Sending tons of :hugs: to you and your little one.

Hello, our LO Leighton was born with a heart murmer. He was referred to the Manchester Childrens Hospital and we had to wait an agonising 3 months for his appointment. We went on 11th May and after a scan etc they advised us it was an innocent heart murmer that may or not go away as he gets older. They said it was nothing to be concerend about and he wasn't affected by it (he is feeding well and growing at a really great pace). They were really great in the hospital, it was just annoying that we had to wait 3 months for an appointment in the first place- surely they should prioritise Babies and Toddlers?!

XX

Thankyou so much lovely ladies, that is lots of reassurance. I think it is pretty common, just praying it sthe *innocent* kind but all other indicators of how blooming and alert Toby is certainly is pointing that way.

Tonnilou, I was thinking of you just the other day actually and wondering how you were getting along. I'm so sorry to hear that you guys have had a rough week. If your doctor isn't overly concerned, though, and if it's common in your family, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I don't have any experience, though, but it seems that the doctor is checking it as a matter of protocol to be safe?? But do please update us. Sending tons of :hugs: to you and your little one.

THANKYOUUUUUUUUUUUU sweety, I was also wondering about you too. So glad you and your lil one ar edoing fab too. :hugs: and stay in touch

Hi Hun
Isaac has a few problems when he was born, low blood sugar levels due to his size and was reffered to SCBU when he was a few hours old for observation. He was let out fine we went home etc etc but he then had problems with his weight gain, (he was born 10.7 and hadnt got back up to that by 4 weeks so we were reffered to peds at the hospital. Anyway, when we got there, the pead asked if we were there about his heart murmer! we like 'what???' apparently it had been detected when he was in SCBU but no one had told us! Anyway to cut a long story short, he checked there and then and it had gone already. Apparently it is very very common in new bornes.

Blimey Mini what are they like! Just droppingthat into conversation, you poor things. Glad it all cleared up for Isaac so soon too.

Hi due to me being diabetic my lo was born with a few problems and was in icu for 2 weeks. Whilst there they detected a heart murmer, he had a follow up appointment at 6 weeks and it had gone, as previously mentioned they are apparently very common in newborns and alot just disappear. Will keep my fingers crossed for you xx

Ellie had a heart murmur when she was born and she had an echocardiogram at 6wks. By 7 wks it had clsed up and was no longer detectable :) :hugs:

Thankyou Little, Bunny & Charlene. That really really makes me feel loads better.

xx

Hi! Won't give you my story - probably not necessary, but just wanted to say that the Evelina is the bestest place on this earth!!!!! Do you know who you will be seeing?? xxxx

Maria had extra sounds when the doc listened to her heart - is that a heart murmur? Anyway it was detected when she was born and again at her 6 week check but it had gone by 10 weeks. And I was told not to worry about it, its common

Yep. my first 2 had heart murmurs, had EKGs and they eventually went away by 6-12 months. I wouldn't spend time worrying. :hugs:

My LO had a heart murmur at birth. They told me not to worry as it's very common, which I was completely unaware of. By his 6 week check-up they re-checked and it was gone.

Thankyou bso much everyone, we are feeling better as Toby is his normal bonnie HUNGRY self. Roll on tomorrow tho for hopeful peace of mind.

Hi! Won't give you my story - probably not necessary, but just wanted to say that the Evelina is the bestest place on this earth!!!!! Do you know who you will be seeing?? xxxx

I dont know who we are seeing, they didn,t give us a name but thats really lovely to hear such praise for where we are going. Thanks sweety XXX

Ruby had a soft systolic murmur detected at her 6 week check up. She told us to make an appointment in a few weeks time to check it again, which we did, and that doctor said it didn't need further investigation, she checked with a paediatrician who agreed.

I had exact same situation as you, took lo into hospital Bcus of her vomiting and drs found heart murmur and they did all the tests and even registerar was called..

Cut story short last week we had a scan and everything is fine and it's very common.. And if your baby is happy and gaining weight I wouldn't worry at all.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->