Help! 3m old waking every 2 hours

BabyTalia

Reaction score
Hey!!! I really need some help!!

My 3 and half month old wakes at least every 2 hours at night and has done for most of her life. Sometimes it's every hour.
I used to just feed her and she would go straight off to sleep but that isnt working as well anymore. Now I rock her when she wakes up and feed her every second wake up (4 hours). She's often up for the day at 5am.
If I let her cry she just loses her mind and I have a 3 year old across the hall and it wakes her up.
She can put her self to sleep just fine during the day although she does have trouble resettling.

I can't handle this much longer. When will it end?! Any suggestions or experiences would be great! Thanks.

My LO was like this as well, I always offered the breast first to get her back off to sleep, and then tried other techniques if the boob didn't work. At her age I would offer a feed every time, and she's too young for crying it out so I wouldn't go that route at all. My LO just had to grow out of it, which took until a few days before her first birthday. It was a tough year but it is now past and looking back it went by quickly. Try to nap during the day if your older child still naps, if not then get to bed early at night to try to catch up on a bit of sleep.

Thanks Jess. A year!!!!!!! *sigh* glad it did end on its own though. I'm worried I'm allowing terrible sleep behaviour that won't get better unless I do something. This is so different to my first child.

Honestly, the longer it went on the better my body adapted to the erratic sleep. I remember around 4 months feeling like I was at my breaking point, and then I started to feel better even though she wasn't sleeping better. Even when things got really bad from 8-10 months I felt like my body was coping better and better as time went by. You will adapt and hopefully it doesn't take as long for you as it did for us! Now she sleeps 11-12 hrs straight at night, only waking once if she is sick or teething and those sleepless nights are just a memory.

It's really normal for a 3 month old to wake so often, especially when breastfeeding.

I tended to offer the breast at each wakening, then if baby insisted on staying awake, i'd get up and sway, bounce with him in the wrap. Once a bit more settled i'd transfer us back to bed. I agree that you will adjust to the lack of sleep. This moment in time will pass. It will. Hang in there.

Sounds pretty normal for a bf baby . My 13 month old wakes still every 3 hours or so ... Was every 2- 2.5 until about 10/ 11 months . They digest BM quickly and need a top up ! Lol... Don't worry you will adjust and exhaustion will just become your new normal . I had a 2 yer old ( now just turned 3 ) and didn't ent him woken either . It was easier just to feed her !! Dd also liked to gt up for the day from between 5.30 and 6 ... The days were endless !!! Since daylight saving I now get a lie in till 7 lol....

Oh for heat it is worth I too would offer boob every time she wakes .. 4 hours between feeds is really a guide for bottle fed babies ... Bf really need to feed little and often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->