Help baby refusing abidec

QueenieMurphy

Proud mummy to Thalia
Reaction score
I've been giving Thalia her abidec with the folic acid in a bit of expressed milk for last 14 weeks since we got back from hospital but in last few days she goes absolutely mental when either me or OH try and give it to her. She still take s a bottle of EBM from OH at night and still takes her sytron in EBM ok so I think it must be the abidec. This evening she literally went beserk and I don't want to put her through it again.

Is it ok to syringe it directly into her mouth do you think? Its going to be a while till weaning and I can hide it in her food so I've got to find some way of giving it to her, I've tried really diluting it but that didn't work either.

If anyone has any advice please let me know

Thank you!

I have always given my lo her abidec and sytron using a syringe. My lo hated abidec as well so used to fight with her to get her to take it half the time half if it ended up running down her chin but some is better than nothing.

I have always given Anya her abidec and sytron by syringe. They gave her it that way in neonatal, so just continued it. :)

My LO is not a preemie but has abidec for other issues. We were told to give it straight into the mouth via syringe :)

Thanks ladies, is there any technique to giving it to stop her spitting it all out or to make her not notice taste so much?

Also sorry for all questions but do any of you give folic acid too? This usually went in with the abidec but I'm wondering whether to do that by syringe now or whether it will go ok with the sytron.

When my LO was as young as yours we used to put it towards the side of her mouth, right at the back. Don't shoot it straight into the back of her mouth or she will probably be sick :flower: x

we give it to Ellie in the teat of a bottle with a little milk to make sure she takes it, I tasted it and it is vile!!!! so I dont blame the wee souls for hating it xx

Another one who used the syringe. Sometimes split the dose through the day so it was less to take in one go. But Sticking it in foods can be risky as it has a strong taste and in bland baby food its obvious to them.

Another one who used the syringe. Sometimes split the dose through the day so it was less to take in one go. But Sticking it in foods can be risky as it has a strong taste and in bland baby food its obvious to them.

I've never tasted it but it smells rank so I can understand why :sick: :lol:

Yeah, my LO is older now and pulls faces when she has it, wheels herself around the room saying "yak yak" :rofl:

Yeah we used to do the teat trick too, pour a little milk into the teat and mix it in there. Worked a treat! If we tried putting it into her mouth with the syringe it would come back up along with the milk we had just spend aggggesss getting into her! The iron was the worst though, poor things they are not pleasant!

Thanks ladies, I've syringed it in last two days but the look on her face is so upsetting!! I think she'll soon learn to close her mouth/spit out. I have a follow up with neo natal next week toothfairy so I will ask them about dalavit. Is it better tasting?

Tastes not too dissimilar to the sytron when I've tasted it. Not as sweet but definitely palatable. We've never had any issues with getting either down him. Mind you he will pretty much try anything......
My HV kept telling me that Dalavit which he had in hospital would be Abidec on repeat prescription as Dalavit was a hospital drug but Jamie's GP has always prescribed us the Dalavit so it is available. Might be a cost issue though perhaps dalavit is more expensive than abidec? Dunno.
Anyway - ask them if you can try it :)

I think we are pretty lucky with Lucas as he will take all his meds and vitamins via a teat without a problem. Definitely a bonus when he has to take something with nearly every feed.

We draw up the meds in a syringe then draw up a bit of milk to dilute it a bit (either formula or ebm) and then put it in his teat. We try to make sure we give them first when he is hungry and follow straight away with the rest of his milk. To be hinest, though, Lucas doesn't seem to care what he has or how he gets it just as long as he's fed!

The only one that seems to unsettle him is sytron. He will take it OK but if he is going to be sick after a feed then it is usually that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->