Help!?!? Breastfeeding questions.

AlliCat

Mom of 1 Son
Reaction score
Is their a certain amount of time that baby should nurse from each breast? Is it recommended that I pump after each nursing session, if so for how long and if not when if ever should I pump?

How old is your baby?

The length of time on a nursing session is individual to the baby and also depends on their age. Some are more efficient and quick than others. In the early days my LO took about 45 minutes to feed. Now it's about 5 minutes.

Unless you're having supply issues there's no need to pump after every feed. Plus if it's early days pumping too much can lead to an oversupply.

It really depends on what you're aiming for as to how often you pump. I am away from my LO one morning a week and I pump maybe every two days or so, once in the morning after his first feed. If you envisage being away more frequently you'll need to pump more often. How long to pump also depends on the person. I don't respond amazingly well to a pump and it takes me about half an hour to get 2-3oz, but some women can get a lot more. I just stop when the boobs have given up lol.

How old is your baby?

The length of time on a nursing session is individual to the baby and also depends on their age. Some are more efficient and quick than others. In the early days my LO took about 45 minutes to feed. Now it's about 5 minutes.

Unless you're having supply issues there's no need to pump after every feed. Plus if it's early days pumping too much can lead to an oversupply.

It really depends on what you're aiming for as to how often you pump. I am away from my LO one morning a week and I pump maybe every two days or so, once in the morning after his first feed. If you envisage being away more frequently you'll need to pump more often. How long to pump also depends on the person. I don't respond amazingly well to a pump and it takes me about half an hour to get 2-3oz, but some women can get a lot more. I just stop when the boobs have given up lol.

My little boy will be 2 weeks old on Monday.

Up until a few days ago he would either fall asleep whenever he latched or totally freak out and not latch at all and we would get nowhere. As of today he latches great and doesn't fall asleep but at the same time doesn't feel satisfied after a session as he cries and fusses so much.

Because of his weight gaining issues, I would pump for 20 minutes the feedings that we gave him formula, per his pediatrician and with the new pump I have I get about an ounce to an ounce and a half.

My LO didn't seem satisfied til after 2 months... I ended up combi feeding, I'm sure if I stuck with bfing I wouldn't have had to but alot of pressure made me give in.
All babies are different some won't go more than 2 hours without feeding until they're on solids which will be around 6 months or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->